Advice Request What is your opinion about Microsoft Windows Defender (Windows 10)?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Personally I don't like windows defender.

Sure it has amazing detection rates when configured properly and has always ran pretty light on any system i've ever owned.
But there's a few things about it that i personally dont like (yes I know these are just small things, but I'm very particular)

first of all, it lacks fine built in controls, I don't like having to use a third party program to control it
Second, even with a third party application, there's no way to set it to "ask" when it detects a threat (atleast no way that I have seen)
and last, the toaster notifications for when a threat is detected on any system I have ever used has been extremely laggy
as well as it doesnt hand threats in a timely manner (I.E it takes it a bit of time to remove something as simple as the Eicar test file)

I want to like it, I really do. I've seen it come a long way. But I just cant.
That is normal when you can see Defender alerts frequently. But, for most people, such alerts are so rare that the poor GUI, lags, etc. do not matter at all.:)(y)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
In my case the biggest problem I've encountered is when the Antimalware Service Executable (MsMpEng.exe) uses the CPU almost 100% and this means that Windows Defender is sinking the system making it almost unusable for most of the time.
Yes. I noticed similar behavior on one of my laptops (32 GB EMMC, 2GB RAM, Atom processor). The big CPU load is present while updating the system and Microsoft Store applications, performing system management tasks, and system scan. After that, the computer is fully usable (web browsing, watching videos, document editing). Anyway, I would prefer the Chromebook for such simple tasks.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Microsoft Defender has received a new platform update today. No changelog is available yet.
"Antimalware Client Version: 4.18.2102.3".
I had a failed install multiple times. But the third time it just disappeared and my Client Version matches the current one...never seen that one.

It was being installed at the same time as the latest optional Windows Update/ :unsure:

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I had a failed install multiple times. But the third time it just disappeared and my Client Version matches the current one...never seen that one.

It was being installed at the same time as the latest optional Windows Update/ :unsure:
I have seen some of this windows update failing reports a couple of times from several users. The issue is random it seems.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft Defender has received a new platform update today. No changelog is available yet.
"Antimalware Client Version: 4.18.2102.3".

Confirmed 👍 here it was manually updated by me on Windows Security Center

MD.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.