Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
I use WD because it us built-in.

Recommendations for people:

1- WD.
2- Emsisoft.
3- Avira.

Average people aren't interested by complicated default-deny or have privacy concerns, they just want something doing the job without bothering them, free if possible.
Avira is resource hogging...Avira's signature detection is great but UI is old and lots of processes.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Most probably wont even notice or even care about the processes, this is a geek concern.
I find that sometimes Avira runs two scans in the background at once (and I have no idea why), which causes slowdowns. This is an issue for me. The number of processes isn't, as this is not related to the performance impact.

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
In truth, I'd only pick between WD and ESET these days... WD if you want to be 100% sure AV won't conflict with new major feature updates and want an AV that's built into the OS. ESET if you want light AV with the best in class signatures and web filter. I favor WD simply cause its free and built into Windows already. ESET however is my top choice out of 3rd party AV's. Kaspersky is great too, but overly bloated like most other 3rd party AVs are.

virusesmaximum

Level 1
Aug 21, 2019
My recommendations tend to be, in this order:

1. ESET or F-Secure (*)
  2. Norton (especially if you get for free from Comcast)
  3. Kaspersky if you are comfortable

Notes: though ESET has the superior signatures hands down, it turns out that Chrome's malware scanner seems to have basically the same detections (likely powered by ESET) and VirusTotal tends to be an accurate reflection of ESET detections too. Since ESET's main strength is static scanning and it has very little dynamic (BB) capability out of the box, I find that these alternate ways of getting ESET protection make it almost redundant to run it locally. F-Secure has a different set of engines, more reliance on cloud protection, and an excellent behavior blocker all while being lightweight and having a decent subscription model that doesn't feel like it's aggressively getting you to renew. This makes it better as a layered protection for me.

Norton: right now it's an excellent product still, but in my opinion the recent business situation will spell doom for this product in the long run. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. But I'm not going to stop recommending it until I see it go downhill.

Kaspersky: arguably still the best combo of great static scanning and great behavior blocking. However, questions about their integrity are unfortunately a bit of a problem reputation wise. NOTE: I am not xenophobic, nor do I believe we have seen any evidence of collusion or anything like that. However, I am also not with the capability of a government intelligence organization and I generally do believe there's a grain of truth behind some of the allegations though media scaremongering blows it out of proportion. In practice, part of my history involves doing some work for the defense Dept so I find out of good practice I have to avoid using it on my machines because that will just raise questions I don't want to deal with. Those without such qualms should be more receptive to this excellent product. Personally, I think most people are flattering themselves if they think Russia is going to use a Kaspersky backdoor to go after them. You've got to be pretty darn important for both the country and the company to risk their reputations to do something like that. But yeah, I feel kind of bad for Kaspersky. Such a fantastic product to get tied up in this kind of controversy. But in a world where there's dozens of fairly good AV choices that have not been implicated in an intelligence agency collusion, it is perfectly reasonable to prefer choosing an alternative.
I am laughing at your comment, thinking that Kaspersky steals data and spies people, it seems to me that it was something invented by Usa to discredit the powerful Russian av. As long as there is nothing proven you cannot accuse him. The one that can be accused is Avast, because if it was found that this steals data from people.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I am laughing at your comment, thinking that Kaspersky steals data and spies people, it seems to me that it was something invented by Usa to discredit the powerful Russian av. As long as there is nothing proven you cannot accuse him. The one that can be accused is Avast, because if it was found that this steals data from people

Laugh all you want but to be clear, I didn't say I thought one way or the other. I do not posess the Intel of a government agency, I am simply saying two things:

(1) if you do anything related to defense or aerospace, I would abide by DoD guidelines to not use Kaspersky regardless of whether you believe in the allegations. I have seen countless times in my tenure in a private defense contractor where things on employees' personal computers or activity on their private internet service at home were quietly investigated by the FBI without a warrant and it results in a world of hurt that simply is not worth it.

(2) I personally think such allegations should give some pause. Sure the USA has rang the warning bell the most against Kaspersky but they are not the only government agency to make allegations about Kaspersky. Whether or not you specifically believe this is true, it is worth considering that governments do coerce private companies to do unscrupulous things on their behalf. Most of the cases we hear about are in the USA and China, but bottom line is, as a regular citizen you are extremely unlikely to find evidence of those kinds of attacks. In terms of the pro-Kaspersky conspiracy theories, it simply does not hold as much water as I want. For example, Kaspersky surely pissed off the CIA by detecting and analyzing their malware. But many other AV products produced in foreign countries (Avira, BD, F-Secure to name a few) also detected them and publicly stated they refuse to whitelist state sponsored malware, and yet they did not get banned by the government. In fact the DoD hasn't even issued such a strong statement against using other anti-malware developed in eastern Europe, China, etc etc though the USA is not exactly on friendly terms with them.

If we lived in a world where the options were Kaspersky or Webroot, sure, go Kaspersky all the way. But in a world where a lot of strong choices exist, I find it reasonable if people choose to be wary of products that have been negatively implicated.....

And of course what Avast got caught doing for profit is absolutely disgusting and I would never use their products after that kind of erosion of trust. That is a totally separate kind of issue compared to your residing country's government being accused of coercing you.

virusesmaximum

Level 1
Aug 21, 2019
Laugh all you want but to be clear, I didn't say I thought one way or the other. I do not posess the Intel of a government agency, I am simply saying two things:

(1) if you do anything related to defense or aerospace, I would abide by DoD guidelines to not use Kaspersky regardless of whether you believe in the allegations. I have seen countless times in my tenure in a private defense contractor where things on employees' personal computers or activity on their private internet service at home were quietly investigated by the FBI without a warrant and it results in a world of hurt that simply is not worth it.

(2) I personally think such allegations should give some pause. Sure the USA has rang the warning bell the most against Kaspersky but they are not the only government agency to make allegations about Kaspersky. Whether or not you specifically believe this is true, it is worth considering that governments do coerce private companies to do unscrupulous things on their behalf. Most of the cases we hear about are in the USA and China, but bottom line is, as a regular citizen you are extremely unlikely to find evidence of those kinds of attacks. In terms of the pro-Kaspersky conspiracy theories, it simply does not hold as much water as I want. For example, Kaspersky surely pissed off the CIA by detecting and analyzing their malware. But many other AV products produced in foreign countries (Avira, BD, F-Secure to name a few) also detected them and publicly stated they refuse to whitelist state sponsored malware, and yet they did not get banned by the government. In fact the DoD hasn't even issued such a strong statement against using other anti-malware developed in eastern Europe, China, etc etc though the USA is not exactly on friendly terms with them.

If we lived in a world where the options were Kaspersky or Webroot, sure, go Kaspersky all the way. But in a world where a lot of strong choices exist, I find it reasonable if people choose to be wary of products that have been negatively implicated.....

And of course what Avast got caught doing for profit is absolutely disgusting and I would never use their products after that kind of erosion of trust. That is a totally separate kind of issue compared to your residing country's government being accused of coercing you.
We return to the same, you are nobody to accuse Kaspersky. If the FBI accuses him or the CIA, it is because of the envy they have about the product, because the accusations against Kaspersky were never proven as a result Kaspersky is innocent.
Kaspersky moved all of its Russian servers to demonstrate transparency. If it is for spias, there is Microsoft, Norton himself. Google and others who really spy and nobody says anything. Like it or not, Kaspersky is the most robust antivirus today, as many on the forum say the same.

CCJW

Level 1
Dec 16, 2019
We return to the same, you are nobody to accuse Kaspersky. If the FBI accuses him or the CIA, it is because of the envy they have about the product, because the accusations against Kaspersky were never proven as a result Kaspersky is innocent.
Kaspersky moved all of its Russian servers to demonstrate transparency. If it is for spias, there is Microsoft, Norton himself. Google and others who really spy and nobody says anything. Like it or not, Kaspersky is the most robust antivirus today, as many on the forum say the same.

Has Kaspersky moved his servers? Sure? This is what others want us to know. As there is no evidence that Kaspersky is spying, so is there no evidence that they have moved ALL of their servers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.