Premium / Total Security
In-depth Comparison

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
The fact Microsoft developed tamper protection for Windows Defender for me is them admitting, that yes, WD had a problem with getting disabled by malware. I mean if Microsoft didn't think it was an actual issue then, why bother with tamper protection?

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I like WD because it's built in and (hopefully) won't conflict with Windows, especially during cumulative updates. Third-party AV's like Avast have sometimes caused problems by deleting critical Windows files, and Avira has been implicated in problems with this month's CU. If for some reason I couldn't use WD, my next choice would be Kaspersky free because of its reputation for excellent protection. I have an unused free license for Webroot which will remain idle because that product gave me endless FP's with multiple legitimate programs.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I dislike suites for the reason you often get a program that doesn't give needed modules, such as KAV, the next one up gives everything often modules you don't need. However I like :
Emsisoft
ESET IS
F-secure Safe
G-Data
KIS
I like all those depending on the system it's installed on.

I did like Norton but since 360 started adding a VPN that's almost loaded including TAP, it caused problems with the VPN I use, even if not enabled.The Norton VPN cannot be removed - I wouldn't use Norton VPN if my life depended on it.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Indeed, not the best, but far from being the worst.
Not saying, since most users don't actively encounter 0-days, WD is good enough since it is specialized on prevalent threats, not some obscure PoC no one will catch.

But it wouldn't be a security forum without the typical fear and paranoia that some exhibit. I mean you can catch a very advanced piece of zero day malware just by turning on your computer and logging into Windows and doing nothing else. Oh wait, there's those prices of zero day malware that just randomly appears on the desktop.

All joking aside, your right. This type of malware and targeted attacks that people on security forums stress over will probably never happen to them, nor the vast majority of average users, but I guess it wouldn't be as fun as living in fear and watching people create overkill setups.:p

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

All joking aside, your right. This type of malware and targeted attacks that people on security forums stress over will probably never happen to them, nor the vast majority of average users, but I guess it wouldn't be as fun as living in fear and watching people create overkill setups.:p
indeed they will never see it happens.
overkill setups was for me more of a sport/challenge than a real need. It was real fun. Now i feel pity for those who really believe they need an overkill setup. and sadly some vendors push this to sell their products.
Now my new hobby is trying to do the same just with what windows offers...more challenging and interesting...

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I don't actually have a favorite - Just 4 points to choose a security software

1) It shouldn't cause me any headaches - no blocking software , hardware or sites I need for work without an easy way to unblock

2) Light. No i don't care about memory use. RAM usage is not one of the criteria to judge if a software is light or heavy, The security software should not slow down my computer to a crawl or give me enough time to go to the kitchen make a coffee whenever I access a folder full of files.

3) Good protection. All major brands offer good protection. Only Umbra Total Protection offers complete protection against everything that exists, has existed or will exist though.

4) Lower price. Whatever passes the above points will be chosen by the lowest price.

So my favorite is whatever fulfills the criteria above.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Forget the top 3, expand to services that protect more than your standalone hardened Windows PC.

Global solutions for home & mobile users;
  • Microsoft (Windows Defender Antivirus) for Windows 10, Outlook, Edge, OneDrive and more.
  • Google (Safe Browsing) for Android, Play Store, Gmail, Chrome and browsers with SafeBrowsing API) -- Not an Antivirus!
  • More that I don't know of. -- Not an Antivirus!

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The fact Microsoft developed tamper protection for Windows Defender for me is them admitting, that yes, WD had a problem with getting disabled by malware. I mean if Microsoft didn't think it was an actual issue then, why bother with tamper protection?
What are you talking about! Almost every AV has self protection. Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET, etc all of them has it. The fact that WD was so late (Beginning of last year I think) at implementing this is a bad thing. It's better that they have it now.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
What are you talking about! Almost every AV has self protection. Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET, etc all of them has it. The fact that WD was so late (Beginning of last year I think) at implementing this is a bad thing. It's better that they have it now.
Yes. Every other AV has self protection, precisely to prevent from being terminated by malware. I never said anything about other AV not having it. Nor did I said it's a bad thing WD has tamper protection now.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I haven't used a lot of software enough to rank. So this is a slightly off-topic post.

When I started browsing MT, I was looking for the strongest security software. However, while watching the members' posts, I realized that the strongest was an illusion. Excellent software exists. But there's nothing that everyone considers to be the strongest. At the heart of security is the wisdom and common sense of users, and the idea is that software is a tool that embodies it. Ultimately, if you are a sage, you may not need security software.
Security awareness is important. But that doesn't mean you have to install the software.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

In fact Tamper Protection isn't so really needed, it is useful only against a malware that target the product and wasn't detected in the first place , and should not even need to disable the said product which may reveal itself...
Like a thief who enter a building and disable the cameras the security guard was watching... Best way to announce its presence...
Sophisticated malware don't need to disable the TP, they fly under the radar already.

Sure it is better to have it than nothing, but security speaking, it doesn't add much more to the security.

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
AV software needs to be tailored, due to way too many situations and circumstances to list.

If I was dealing with 'Joe Average,' I'd likely suggest:

SECURITY ONLY SETUP.

• Kaspersky
  • ESET(HIPS Tweaks.)
  • Bitdefender/Emsisoft

FREE SETUP:
  • Windows Defender.

Personally, I like a layered defence. Currently running ESET Smart Security + Malwarebytes. I have many other utilities as, the machine mentioned is frequently in harm's way.

The 'Joe Average' setup would hold across your criteria, from my perspective anyhow.

Interesting survey & results so far.

👍 @TRS-80

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
One day a guy called Joe Average or even Average Joe is going to join the forum & will feel there has been a ultra major vendetta again him for years as we all tend to speak of Joe Average as being less than intelligent - Poor Joe Average ! - If you are out there Joe it's nothing personal :):D

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
2020-02-19 (1).png

Well there is at least one in the US so there is a chance... :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.