Premium / Total Security
In-depth Comparison

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
He doesn't mind being tracked as it makes logging on to sites easier, he get free AV as it costs nowt - if the worst should happen he get some idiot friend (like me) to sort it while he has a beer & says & I know nothing about PC's - Joe don't need to back anything up as again a friend will do it for him, the same friend puts new hard drives in for free - He never considers why the likes of Facebook are free - Joe has got it all sorted!

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
He doesn't mind being tracked as it makes logging on to sites easier, he get free AV as it costs nowt - if the worst should happen he get some idiot friend (like me) to sort it while he has a beer & says & I know nothing about PC's - Joe don't need to back anything up as again a friend will do it for him, the same friend puts new hard drives in for free - He never considers why the likes of Facebook are free - Joe has got it all sorted!
I have a friend like that, use the PC as a washing machine. Touch a button and start, touch another button and download a movie, it's on all infected movie sites but it doesn't care. The backup doesn't know what that is, nor is it interested, it doesn't know how to format. That's when he has a problem when he calls me or another friend. But he has been using the PC for more years than me, but he is happy that way. :D

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I have a friend like that, use the PC as a washing machine. Touch a button and start, touch another button and download a movie, it's on all infected movie sites but it doesn't care. The backup doesn't know what that is, nor is it interested, it doesn't know how to format. That's when he has a problem when he calls me or another friend. But he has been using the PC for more years than me, but he is happy that way. :D

I think there are many similar people. I think that the reason why WD has evolved greatly was to protect such people.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
@Cortex @bribon77

These, with healthy cynicism, are the friends I stopped helping (for free) when they have problems. I have tried several times to explain how to behave healthily on the net. They didn't listen. Since "errare humanum est, perseverare autem diabolicum", now they have to pay for my help. ;)
I agree, though there are a dwindling few who have shown kindness to me (not that sort, although I live in hope) Or family members who also have done things for me & I care about - I do steer some toward Chromebooks for example, so trying to close my PC fix system down but it's not an overnight operation. :confused::confused:

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
Apologies if too far off topic. I believe there is an important lesson here.........

Hmmmm..... Poor 'Joe Average' does end up being the butt of a lot of comments. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the poor sod. Except one!

The 'One' is the type who just walks into my place, plonks his(usually corrupted,) ancient laptop down on the sofa, then says “fix it mate!” Never offers to pay. Drinks my coffee. Pees on the toilet floor. Then tells me the same tales every time.😴

He refuses to run security software, claiming he doesn't have anything on his computer worth stealing! Yet he takes out his phone battery so he “can't be tracked.” No matter how many times I tell him he needs at least a free Antivirus, he refuses. I used to call him “Trojan of the month.”:poop:

Things have changed - dramatically!

We all need to put a value on our time and work!

Accordingly, some time back, I told The 'One' to start respecting boundaries or get lost! He no longer bothers me with avoidable nonsense or, anything else, for that matter.

Sure, help your family and friends but, remember you deserve something in return for your efforts!

Cheers Everyone!

@TRS-80 (y)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Apologies if too far off topic. I believe there is an important lesson here.........

Hmmmm..... Poor 'Joe Average' does end up being the butt of a lot of comments. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the poor sod. Except one!

The 'One' is the type who just walks into my place, plonks his(usually corrupted,) ancient laptop down on the sofa, then says “fix it mate!” Never offers to pay. Drinks my coffee. Pees on the toilet floor. Then tells me the same tales every time.😴

He refuses to run security software, claiming he doesn't have anything on his computer worth stealing! Yet he takes out his phone battery so he “can't be tracked.” No matter how many times I tell him he needs at least a free Antivirus, he refuses. I used to call him “Trojan of the month.”:poop:

Things have changed - dramatically!

We all need to put a value on our time and work!

Accordingly, some time back, I told The 'One' to start respecting boundaries or get lost! He no longer bothers me with avoidable nonsense or, anything else, for that matter.

Sure, help your family and friends but, remember you deserve something in return for your efforts!

Cheers Everyone!

@TRS-80 (y)
Spot on! - Ancient here being the word, usually limping along on 1 GIG of RAM, the PC has unbelievable sentimental attachment, & contains the only photographs of the building of the pyramids & it wont boot - As it's so old it takes two days to fix it :( (worst of all people think I get unbelievable joy from fixing ancient broken PC's)

Last edited by a moderator:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
This friend I have is amazing, it turns out he has a very young daughter, almost a girl, and he has a PC, and he wants a YouTube account, and he told me that if I can do it ... I told him he didn't know how to make accounts deYoutube. (lie):p
He doesn't want to bother, he wants everything done.:(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.