What movie are you watching or planning to watch?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Saw Argylle and Ricky Stanicky. Argylle could have been much better, but it was still a fun watch. Ricky Stanicky was just okay, but John Cena was a pleasant surprise. In my opinion, John Cena's performance was his finest yet.
Dua Lipa was stunning and spectacular:love:

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018

What Is It?​

The 2024 American science fiction movie Dune: Part Two.

Dune: Part Two | Official Trailer 2:

DUNE: PART TWO – Movie Review:

My Thoughts​

I assumed that this movie would be better than Dune: Part One because I liked the middle to the end of the book, Dune, better than the beginning to the middle of the book.

Also, there was so much that was not covered in the first movie, that I assumed that the second would be better because we would finally get some of those missing parts.

Last Saturday I watched this movie at a movie theater in Leesville with my brothers TDC & KDC, my sister-in-law KC, and my brother TDC’s girlfriend JF.

Unfortunately, it was the worst movie theater experience of the last 4 movies that I have seen in a movie theater.

Either all the speakers were not on or the volume was too low to hear the music or sound effects much, you could hear the dialogue, but the music & sounds did not stand out at all.

The visual quality was lower than the previous 3 movies that I saw in theaters.

They did not have the special Dune popcorn buckets, and the others with me said that the popcorn smelled strange / stinky to put it kindly.

The crowd was small because we caught the 3:OO PM showing, but the audience was pretty dead / low energy & too quiet.

The previews / trailers et cetera took 30 minutes to finish, and most of them were not good.

So this movie deserves a second viewing for me to get a better opinion of how I really feel about it.

At this time, though, I & the others were disappointed with this movie; it was not bad, but our reaction to it was mostly flat.

I did not like it as much as I had expected, and this movie skipped more things & characters from the book than I had expected; and there were more changes that were done that I did not expect or like.

Denis is not the director that I want to continue this franchise alone, he needs someone to help cover his weaknesses as a director, and to stay more faithful to the lore.

I am disappointed with Dune: Part One & Dune: Part Two as adaptations of Dune.

Some visuals were good & I like that it was more serious, but so much else was striped away & flattened & sterilized & unexplained & lost & changed even when he had time to cover more.

Dune: Part One & Dune: Part Two were Denis’s art / style over substance.

Denis basically took a painting, threw water on it, washing away at least half or more of it & washing out a lot of the colors, and redid it in his style with a limited color palette; that is my analog of how I feel about his Dune movies.

Dune: Part Two was easier to follow & understand than Dune: Part One, at least.

If you have not seen the Frank Herbert’s Dune & Frank Herbert’s Children Of Dune miniseries, please watch them, you will learn more & understand more et cetera if you watch those.

I will probably like Dune: Part Two better the second time under better viewing conditions, as of now, I would rate it a 5 – 6 out of 10.

I still recommend watching both parts once, and then go watch both Dune miniseries, which will help you better understand books 1 – 3.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

What Is It?​

The 2024 American science fiction movie Dune: Part Two.

Dune: Part Two | Official Trailer 2:

DUNE: PART TWO – Movie Review:

My Thoughts​

I assumed that this movie would be better than Dune: Part One because I liked the middle to the end of the book, Dune, better than the beginning to the middle of the book.

Also, there was so much that was not covered in the first movie, that I assumed that the second would be better because we would finally get some of those missing parts.

Last Saturday I watched this movie at a movie theater in Leesville with my brothers TDC & KDC, my sister-in-law KC, and my brother TDC’s girlfriend JF.

Unfortunately, it was the worst movie theater experience of the last 4 movies that I have seen in a movie theater.

Either all the speakers were not on or the volume was too low to hear the music or sound effects much, you could hear the dialogue, but the music & sounds did not stand out at all.

The visual quality was lower than the previous 3 movies that I saw in theaters.

They did not have the special Dune popcorn buckets, and the others with me said that the popcorn smelled strange / stinky to put it kindly.

The crowd was small because we caught the 3:OO PM showing, but the audience was pretty dead / low energy & too quiet.

The previews / trailers et cetera took 30 minutes to finish, and most of them were not good.

So this movie deserves a second viewing for me to get a better opinion of how I really feel about it.

At this time, though, I & the others were disappointed with this movie; it was not bad, but our reaction to it was mostly flat.

I did not like it as much as I had expected, and this movie skipped more things & characters from the book than I had expected; and there were more changes that were done that I did not expect or like.

Denis is not the director that I want to continue this franchise alone, he needs someone to help cover his weaknesses as a director, and to stay more faithful to the lore.

I am disappointed with Dune: Part One & Dune: Part Two as adaptations of Dune.

Some visuals were good & I like that it was more serious, but so much else was striped away & flattened & sterilized & unexplained & lost & changed even when he had time to cover more.

Dune: Part One & Dune: Part Two were Denis’s art / style over substance.

Denis basically took a painting, threw water on it, washing away at least half or more of it & washing out a lot of the colors, and redid it in his style with a limited color palette; that is my analog of how I feel about his Dune movies.

Dune: Part Two was easier to follow & understand than Dune: Part One, at least.

If you have not seen the Frank Herbert’s Dune & Frank Herbert’s Children Of Dune miniseries, please watch them, you will learn more & understand more et cetera if you watch those.

I will probably like Dune: Part Two better the second time under better viewing conditions, as of now, I would rate it a 5 – 6 out of 10.

I still recommend watching both parts once, and then go watch both Dune miniseries, which will help you better understand books 1 – 3.

Unquote

Yup, that's about right. Too much dialogue should have more fighting scenes screentime

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018

Unquote

Yup, that's about right. Too much dialogue should have more fighting scenes screentime
I read all 6 Dune books back when I was in college, I watched both miniseries, I watched Dune (1984), I read most (not all) of the Dune Encyclopedia a couple of years ago, and too much dialogue was not my problem with the Denis's Dune movies; but I definitely agree that the fight scenes should have had more screen time, and they should have been better (especially in Dune: Part One).

I was not a fan of some flashy & unnecessary fighting moves shown in both movies, and I do not like how they did not have The Weirding Way or some of it being taught to the Fremen.

Denis cut out too much from the book & made some unnecessary changes, in my opinion, his style does not work as well in any of the science fiction movies that I have seen by him.

I like his other movies that I have seen so far, but his science fiction movies are my least favorite movies by him.

I will probably be seeing Dune: Part Two again in a better movie theater later this month with one of my brothers, so I assume that I will like it better this time; but I doubt that it will win me over as a Dune adaptation compared to either Dune miniseries, but we shall see.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
As far as Dune 2, I just can't sit in a theater longer than 2 hours. I'd need to get up and move around, hit the bathroom, and then feel like I may have missed something...like some extra dialogue? I'll wait for it to stream on TV, I know it's not as ideal as on the big screen, but at least I could pause it to take a break :)

Reactions: simmerskool

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
As far as Dune 2, I just can't sit in a theater longer than 2 hours. I'd need to get up and move around, hit the bathroom, and then feel like I may have missed something...like some extra dialogue? I'll wait for it to stream on TV, I know it's not as ideal as on the big screen, but at least I could pause it to take a break :)
I went to the bathroom during the 30 minutes of movie trailers, and twice during the movie. ;)

I did not feel that it was too long, but it is a shame that Denis had that much time for both movies but somehow cut half the book or more while Dune (1984) & Frank Herbert's Dune covered more in less time; but what Dune (1984) did to The Weirding Way was an abomination & a sin. 😁

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I went to the bathroom during the 30 minutes of movie trailers, and twice during the movie. ;)

I did not feel that it was too long, but it is a shame that Denis had that much time for both movies but somehow cut half the book or more while Dune (1984) & Frank Herbert's Dune covered more in less time; but what Dune (1984) did to The Weirding Way was an abomination & a sin. 😁
LOL, so those breaks can be done :) They played part 1 about a week ago on TV, I thought it was pretty good. I would eventually like to see part two :)

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
LOL, so those breaks can be done :) They played Part 1 about a week ago on TV, I thought it was pretty good. I would eventually like to see part two :)
Yep, I was quick, and I went during non-important moments. ;)

Nice, I am glad that you got to see Dune: Part One, and hopefully you will get to see Dune: Part Two.

There were some things that I liked about both movies, but they had so much more potential that was lost because of Denis's style & his style / art over substance approach for both movies.

Then I would like you to watch Frank Herbert's Dune (the costumes are goofy though, and The Spacing Guild was cringe) and Frank Herbert's Children Of Dune (the best of the two, and of any film / TV adaptation of Dune so far, in my opinion), and see how you like them compared to Dune: Part One & Dune: Part Two. :D

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

I had never read Dune, and have thinking I should do that, my next book(s) -- then I read your post that you have read them all which confirms I need to do it soon, better late than never. I understand the 6th book was written by his son...
I read the director has committed to a Dune3 (within 3 or 4 years) with the intent to finish the story, then no more from him, no Dune4.
Very long time ago, I went to Clint Eastwood movie that got good reviews, but saw it in a theater with awful sound and it spoiled the experience.

Reactions: goodjohnjr

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I had never read Dune, and have thinking I should do that, my next book(s) -- then I read your post that you have read them all which confirms I need to do it soon, better late than never. I understand the 6th book was written by his son...
I read the director has committed to a Dune3 (within 3 or 4 years) with the intent to finish the story, then no more from him, no Dune4.
Very long time ago, I went to Clint Eastwood movie that got good reviews, but saw it in a theater with awful sound and it spoiled the experience.
Please do read the 6 Dune books by Frank Herbert, you can ignore the Dune fan fiction by his son Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson if you want, and maybe check out The Dune Encyclopedia if you want (this is more canon than Brian Herbert's & Kevin J. Anderson's Dune fan fiction, because it had Frank Herbert's approval, unlike his son's later fan fiction).

Frank Herbert's Dune books in order are: Dune, Dune Messiah, Children Of Dune, God Emperor Of Dune, Heretics Of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.

Brian Herbert, Frank Herbert's son, did not write book 6, thank goodness, Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson have been pumping out Dune fan fiction years after Frank Herbert died, treat their Dune fan fiction as its own separate thing & not canon.

I heard that too, but book 2, Dune Messiah, does not finish Paul's story, so Denis would have to also cover book 3, Children Of Dune, if he wants better closure for Paul.

That is good news, it gives a chance for a better director to finish making movies for the rest of the books, I think that Christopher Nolan would have done better than Denis, both of them have flaws that need to be balanced out, though.

I am sorry to hear that, do you remember which Clint Eastwood movie it was?

When I saw Watchmen in theaters, it was crowded with a bunch of noisy & annoying high schoolers & young adults, it hurt the movie experience.

• Hundred Points

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Please do read the 6 Dune books by Frank Herbert,
Frank Herbert's Dune books in order are: Dune, Dune Messiah, Children Of Dune, God Emperor Of Dune, Heretics Of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.

I heard that too, but book 2, Dune Messiah, does not finish Paul's story, so Denis would have to also cover book 3, Children Of Dune, if he wants better closure for Paul.

That is good news, it gives a chance for a better director to finish making movies for the rest of the books, I think that Christopher Nolan would have done better than Denis, both of them have flaws that need to be balanced out, though.

I am sorry to hear that, do you remember which Clint Eastwood movie it was?

When I saw Watchmen in theaters, it was crowded with a bunch of noisy & annoying high schoolers & young adults, it hurt the movie experience.
The Clint Eastwood film seen in crowded theater with bad sound, & I remember the picture being too dark was "Firefox" (1982). The reviews on IMDB are mediocre, I recall them being better in 1982 :LOL:

I have nothing critical to say about Dune1 & 2 directed by DenisV, based on 1984 Dune and various attempts between then & now, I find Denis' Dune better in every way, cinematography, story, actors. Also see that IMDB lists Dune: Messiah with Timothy C but no date. I expect Denis will edit the story to finish Paul's timeline.

Reactions: goodjohnjr

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
The Clint Eastwood film seen in crowded theater with bad sound, & I remember the picture being too dark was "Firefox" (1982). The reviews on IMDB are mediocre, I recall them being better in 1982 :LOL:
Yes, I remember that movie with the fighter jet...lol :)

The part that I still remember from Firefox was when his missile wouldn't fire, because he wasn't thinking in Russian.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Just re-watched this.
<iframe width="769" height="433" src="" title="Notting Hill (1999) Official Trailer | Screen Bites" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018

I have nothing critical to say about Dune1 & 2 directed by DenisV, based on 1984 Dune and various attempts between then & now, I find Denis' Dune better in every way, cinematography, story, actors. Also see that IMDB lists Dune: Messiah with Timothy C but no date. I expect Denis will edit the story to finish Paul's timeline.
Thank you for answering that, I have not seen that movie, as far as I know.

So you saw Frank Herbert's Dune, and Frank Herbert's Children Of Dune?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.