Advice Request What other software to go along with KIS 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Now as I'm getting used to KIS I realized the firewall does not comes with net traffic monitoring features like TCP/UDP, IP addresses, whois etc.

To overcome this shortfall can someone recommends me a free network monitoring tool? Bandwidth usage is not my concern here.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Now as I'm getting used to KIS I realized the firewall does not comes with net traffic monitoring features like TCP/UDP, IP addresses, whois etc.
What about Tools -> NetWork Monitor (mouse left button over K Windows taskbar icon)... probably a bit more simple than TCPView and others, but...

Also via More Tools -> My NetWork -> NetWork Monitor :)

1585214867613.png

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
@stefanos @Wraith2020 @Zero Knowledge

Yah, I'm thinking hard whether as to use SysHardener or Hard Configurator. There are some threads here on these 2. Let me search and read through first.
I think Hard Configurator is better. Βut you need the tips from AndyFul to work perfectly on your system. For users who speak bad English like me , SysHardener with recommended settings is the only choice :)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I use KIS with HMP.A mainly because I have a long license for HMP.A & they get along but when licence ends wont keep Alert anymore - Also have BlackFog & after a few weeks of using is superb, done away with other ad blockers.

(Edit: The most important thing any Kaspersky user can do is change the green squiggle on the Task-Bar to the old red Big K - This increases security 20 times)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Personally in my main system currently using KIS/KTS 2021 strong tweaks + AdGuard Dekstop (Kaspersky Anti-Banner + Private Browsing disabled) on real-time, plus some on demand Second Opinion Scanners (MalWareBytes Free + AdwCleaner, WiseVector StopX with resident protections off).

If You don't want to tweak KIS/KTS, then You may go to NVT SysHardener (Defaults or adding some strong tweaks)...
Can share some of your strong tweaks with KIS?

Talking of privacy. I'm using a VPN, the following FF extensions with enhanced privacy flag settings and those provided by KIS for browser protection eg phishing/scam/malicious sites, PUPs, HTTPS Scanning etc. I believe they should be more than what AdGuard can offer. One good thing I see of Adguard is that I can see what software is phoning home which I can block without going through the net. I think BlackFog Privacy also has this feature while the other features are already present in KIS

uBO with filters in Hard Mode
ABP
BTL
CanvasBlocker
ClearURLs
Cookie AutoDelete
I don't care About Cookies
CSS Exfil Protection
Decentraleyes
ETag Stopper
IDN Safe
Keyboard Privacy
Privacy-Oriented Origin Policy
Smart HTTPS
StoragErazor
ScriptSafe
Trace
User-Agent Switcher and Manager
Anti-Adblock Blocker
Skip Redirect
History AutoDelete

Note :- The reasons why so many extensions are used is because, through testing, some have duplicate or ineffective features which I disabled while some needs to be combined to have effective blocking and others are to cater to shortfall in FF itself. Notice some extensions have features to prevent fingerprinting as well.

Later when FF implements surfing https-only sites in its future build the Smart HTTPS extension can, hopefully, be removed.

Thanks

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I use KIS with HMP.A mainly because I have a long license for HMP.A & they get along but when licence ends wont keep Alert anymore - Also have BlackFog & after a few weeks of using is superb, done away with other ad blockers.

(Edit: The most important thing any Kaspersky user can do is change the green squiggle on the Task-Bar to the old red Big K - This increases security 20 times)
I tested BlackFog Privacy against my FF with the above listed extensions but BFP is blocking no ads/trackers. So I removed it knowing that the extensions are doing their job

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Can share some of your strong tweaks with KIS?
Although soon I'm going to publish a thread with tweaks, these are some of my current tweaks (with KTS2021 without TAM -> removed):

1585221862916.png1585221709314.png1585221765361.png1585222016100.png
Update: these tweaks are for paranoid Kaspersky users, and for those who want/like warnings :p soon I will publish a thread focused for standard users (keeping Application Control settings for unknown apps untoched by default but modifying/hardening general rules for Low Restriction group)...

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Software side maybe not but extensions you need because KIS is weak in adware and PUPs blocking. There was a thread on this recently which shows the protection of KIS and other AVs
If it is you using KIS then I do not think you need that much. I would only use Kaspersky and Adguard Desktop. I believe you should be able to avoid PUPs (assuming the device is not used by family members)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.