Advice Request What Security Program Do You Keep Going Back To No Matter What?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
(y) :emoji_beer:
Too bad there is no av against coronavirus.
There is:p🤣
PRI_145056272.jpg

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
for me it is AVG internet security and Bitdefender free. they are the only ones that i feel comfortable with and i know what happened with Avast lately but i really like how AVG work and i always opt out from any data sharing except the one for security. i recently tried Avast but every time i use it, i found it buggy and need to do a repair to fix it and i found it heavy and slowing my system but with AVG, it is a different story. my system is very light. never found any problem while using it. very stable and i like its GUI for me it is the best gui ever. i do not know why is AVAST different from AVG. the only thing i hate about AVG is the big notification alert in the middle of the window. i hope they change this soon.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
i recently tried Avast but every time i use it, i found it buggy and need to do a repair to fix it and i found it heavy and slowing my system but with AVG, it is a different story.

I have always been a fan of AVG (the combination of coloured pieces of cloth :) )Unfortunately, AVG is not any better in my experience. I am using AIS on two of my laptops and it always gets broken (like GUI crash) and you need to repair it. Sometimes, repair does not fix the issue and you need to uninstall and install again. It is very light but not the lightest.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I have always been a fan of AVG (the combination of coloured pieces of cloth :) )Unfortunately, AVG is not any better in my experience. I am using AIS on two of my laptops and it always gets broken (like GUI crash) and you need to repair it. Sometimes, repair does not fix the issue and you need to uninstall and install again. It is very light but not the lightest.
You can search for Evjl's Rain Avast tweaks. After you can see how light is Avast and AVG ;)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
for me it is AVG internet security and Bitdefender free. they are the only ones that i feel comfortable with and i know what happened with Avast lately but i really like how AVG work and i always opt out from any data sharing except the one for security. i recently tried Avast but every time i use it, i found it buggy and need to do a repair to fix it and i found it heavy and slowing my system but with AVG, it is a different story. my system is very light. never found any problem while using it. very stable and i like its GUI for me it is the best gui ever. i do not know why is AVAST different from AVG. the only thing i hate about AVG is the big notification alert in the middle of the window. i hope they change this soon.
Use old setings and after you can use all the tweaks from the video to Avast or to AVG.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I have reduced the amount of info that goes online drastically in the last couple of years. Some companies are dodgier than others and Qihoo is one of them. I don't care how many vulnerabilities their team discovers or how many engines their product combines. I personally (emphasis on personally) will never install 360. It's UI looks like a second-grade kid made couple of drawings and the language is full of mistakes. There is no documentation on any of the software features and many of them don't work as expected. Support is missing. Product updates are extremely frequent, which clearly shows the number of bugs they've got. All in all, this is just another piece of (I don't want to say what) that combines useless utilities (optimisers, driver updaters) with a heavy and recently diminished antivirus engine. Paying to remove ads and get themes is ridiculous as well. The extreme lack of professionalism is something I will never overcome.
I agree with you about them being dodgy, but it works for me. Here are some thoughts on it, as I've been using it for quite some time now.

I like the UI and that 360 is highly configurable. It does some things very well. For example it can list every suspicious unknown file it has uploaded to the cloud, along with the verdict. I've found that usually other antiviruses do not show what files they upload. It never takes more than 24 hours for them to analyse files. Something else of note is that you can manage licensing from within the UI. It shows what devices you have installed the premium version on and it lets you remove the license from any of these PCs, so you can install it on another PC.

Since they improved the performance in late 2018, it is now one of the lightest antiviruses. It never noticably slows down my system, even when doing its daily scheduled quick scan. Prior to that it was was fairly light, but it's much lighter now. While they are constantly fixing bugs, surprisingly, I've actually never found it to buggy. I can't recall ever having issues with bugs. While I'd be happy for antiviruses to stick with just being antiviruses, the junk cleanup and speedup features do work very well. The junk cleanup won't delete any needed files and supports cleaning junk from a very large number of third party apps, which means it is able to clean a lot of junk. The registry cleaner, while being something that is not needed, is at least safe to use and if run with the default settings won't delete any needed registry keys. In contrast, the cleaners included in other antiviruses, usually include only an extremely basic junk cleaner and sometimes a registry cleaner which will not actually list any of the issues it has found, so you can't actually see if wants to delete any needed registry keys.

For me, the only major downside is the highly annoying ads in the free version. This why I upgraded to the paid version and licenses are cheap on eBay.

Having said all of that, it works really well for me, but I usually wouldn't recommend it to others.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I agree with you about them being dodgy, but it works for me.
Having said all of that, it works really well for me, but I usually wouldn't recommend it to others.

This is very enlightened. Understanding and acknowledging limitations -- and choosing to work with it.

Rather than reflexive denial.

Years ago, I used Kaspersky on one computer -- even though I knew all info running through Kaspersky goes through the Russian SORM -- a government mass surveillance system. Kaspersky is good and interesting software --- there just are inherent privacy issues... whether one chooses to acknowledge them or not...

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
This is very enlightened. Understanding and acknowledging limitations -- and choosing to work with it.

Rather than reflexive denial.

Years ago, I used Kaspersky on one computer -- even though I knew all info running through Kaspersky goes through the Russian SORM -- a government mass surveillance system. Kaspersky is good and interesting software --- there just are inherent privacy issues... whether one chooses to acknowledge them or not...
So if We use Norton all our info is send to USA NSA/CIA :unsure: ... We should stop send this type of comments without any evidence...

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I uninstalled KIS numerous times to try Emsisoft antimalware ,Bitdefender, Norton, Eset but I always coming back to KIS or KTS! It is the only anti malware program that i can settle with, There is at least a little problem with other Antimalware programs like not having a good firewall etc.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Emsisoft really attract me.very light great BB no bloatware ad excellent customer support.they focus on improving their protection and stability instead of adding useless features
it didnot fail me before. i tried it in 2017 since they converted to fully AV and found myself stuck to it
I'm with you on your view of Emsisoft. I was using it for a while up until late last year and I found that their customer support responded quickly and helpfully, it does what it says it will, very well, without bloat and was very light on my system. The license ran out and I was offered F-Secure Safe by my ISP for free and wanted to try it, that is the only reason I swapped away from Emsisoft. I'd go back to Emsisoft and have been a satisfied user of their products for approx 15 years, maybe longer, when I installed most of the seperate softwares they had back then.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
SuperAntiSpyware.

No, joking, once upon a time they were on so many machines, what happened? Evolution, I guess.

I've not been very faithful to many security products over the years, for long, I've stuck by some like Comodo Firewall or AVG AV(when I thought I could trust them and they concentrated on AV without bloat) in the past for several years at a time. Then a combination of new temptations(often a very similar product with a slightly different GUI [fickle!]) persuaded me to try something new. Seriously, it was seeing what the 'opposition' had to offer that tempted me rather than any bells and whistles, I'm a tinkerer/explorer most probably, definitely not conservative - I like a change. I've returned to Emsisoft, F-Secure and BitDefender AVs more than others, but then the cycle tends to start again.

In recent times uBO has been the browser extension I've stuck by through thick and thin, mostly! That is what gets an honourable mention from me in this thread. Run closely by VS and SpyShelter. Currently!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.