Advice Request What SSD or HDD monitor/analysis software do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What SSD/HDD monitor or analysis software do you use?

• Hard Disk Sentinel

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • CrystalDiskInfo

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • HDDScan

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • CPU-Z

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Seagate SeaTools

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Other. Please reply with what.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • None

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Samsung Magician

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Normally when a disk ( ssd/hdd ) breaks down or is about to, software like this gets interesting. That also includes myself and is an obvious reason for creating this thread/poll, but I always tends to jump between a few different vendors and never have any saved/installed over a long period of time. I'm curious on what other people/members maybe use or have experience of and can also recommend. I'll include a few basic and well known ones.

For example, Windows built-in S.M.A.R.T. check is of course very easy and quick, but a bit poor and I personal found it not 100% accurate when I compared with two other softwares.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
O&O is an interesting vendor IMO, as I use a few other of their products and also saw they have a specific monitor tool called DiskStat 2. They also got another product that I have used and tested before. Just don't recall it's disk monitor feature.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I also have Hw-Info on o_O
That seems like a possible good one. It's even freeware. Btw, do you use any of the add-ons?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
No, I use it on any PC I have to fix etc as well as mine, it's good also for fan speeds & temperature, voltages, very handy program, for it to be free is something else. According to the site blurb it's used by NASA, not sure in what capacity though :D:D

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
And Windows doesn't do that unlike third party tools.

Windows only optimise SSDs which is called TRIM.
Do you mean build in defrag tool in windows ?
I disabled build in, because it was On by default to defrag 1 a week.
As i understand it doesn't hurt with the build in tool ?
Just tested : click on optimize and i see trimmed.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, I definitely use CPU-Z but....I very recently purchased a new SSD so after some prelim. benchmarks, I was satisfied it really was at the beginning of its long and fascinating journey aboard my machine..cof.

HWiNFO64 almost exclusively--a jack of all trades on here. Crystal Disk Info, in conjunction with Crystal Disk Mark benchmark. Windows Disk Optimization on demand, usually as part of the weekly maintenance routine.

Could you consider to add Samsung Magician, upnorth?

Re: addons for HWiNFO: yes, I use the RivaTuner Statistics Server tab so that my cpu/gpu temperatures are able to be viewed in-game. (y)

Edit: thanks, upnorth, changed vote as the Magician is used more in line with a maintenance and firmware update mindset. Took off the Crystal Disk Info as it's rarely utilized.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Manufacturer's tool for a quick review, otherwise HWiNFO. CrystalDiskInfo displays info in binary numbers, I guess it is for nerds. :geek:

Attachments

• capture_11112020_223548.jpg
    capture_11112020_223548.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 167

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
And Windows doesn't do that unlike third party tools.

Windows only optimise SSDs which is called TRIM.
Windows does defrag SSDs.
The short answer is, yes, Windows does sometimes defragment SSDs, yes, it's important to intelligently and appropriately defrag SSDs, and yes, Windows is smart about how it treats your SSD.
Many people do not know, but for SSD defrag is not needed ... it will shorten life for an SSD :)
I also use Hwinfo64
While fragmentation for SSDs won't affect performance anywhere near as much it does for hard drives, sometimes they do need to be defragged. This is why Windows defrags SSDs. I use O&O Defrag and it results in better performance, shown by CrystalDiskMark. Defragging SSDs won't have a significant impact on their life.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I read somewhere that features for drive monitoring will be made available in Win 10 in the future. Meanwhile, I decided to just use Open Hardware Monitor to add temperature numbers for the CPU and GPU in the system tray, and CrystalDiskInfo to check drives and just make a sound if temperature or health conditions exceed a given threshold.

For defrag, I tried all sorts, and results are mixed: they would speed up systems, and then cause them to slow down weeks later. The same happened to Windows defrag. Given that, I decided to just do things conservatively: use the built-in defrag with default settings scheduled (weekly trim of SSD and defrag of all other drives), and then just run the free or giveaway version of a fast third-party defrag (that follows any prefetch layout and copies the built-in defrag algorithm) manually if things don't improve.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.