Advice Request What the heck is this software doing on my computer? Component Package Support Server app

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Windows 10 1903

I came across this application showed in my task manager, and the application name is Component Package Support Server(CompPkgSrv) located in Windows System32 folder. I checked the site about this file, but I am not quite sure if this is malicious or not. I uploaded the file to VT, and the result came out is clean. What is this file? Is it safe? I ran a quick scan with MBAM and HitmanPro on my PC and both said clean. Pictures, and VT scan results attached and linked below. The DLL has Microsoft signature but not the execute one.
VT:
1) VirusTotal

2)

wdf 1.jpgwdf 2.jpgwdf 3.jpgwdf 4.jpg

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
CompPkgSrv.exe is legitimately a Microsoft program Why are you browsing through System32 though? Lol...

Don't let Microsoft processes scare you, Windows uses lots of processes to work, a new processes may spawn in order to make psecific applications work. For example, when a softwre needs a server component, Windows 10 may spawn a related process to make it work.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
CompPkgSrv.exe is legitimately a Microsoft program Why are you browsing through System32 though? Lol...

Don't let Microsoft processes scare you, Windows uses lots of processes to work, a new processes may spawn in order to make psecific applications work. For example, when a softwre needs a server component, Windows 10 may spawn a related process to make it work.

I saw it running in my task manager because I have never seen this process ever in my task manager till I opened my task manager yesterday. I have seen a lot malicious applications disguised as legitimate Microsoft program with the name and signature.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Windows is a mess. It's touched by 10,000 people in compartmentalized environments that often have no idea what someone else is doing. Often some of the programs are written to fix some integration between departments that didn't work right. So a program to fix another program.

The left hand has no idea what the right is doing the majority of the time with Microsoft. Each branch comes together in a 'ceremony' (code merge, etc), then the discovery is made about what doesn't work, and what has to be done to make it work. Yes, sometimes that means someone has to write something new to run in between to make the code merge work.

A guy I knew that was a lead there said it's the messiest code and most convoluted, top heavy organization he's ever seen, and he worked all around the world.

So if you poke around, you'll find so many things you'll waste days looking up each one.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.