What was your first antivirus?

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
The very first antivirus I remember using was when my mom bought a desktop computer for the family to use and it had Norton Internet Security 2005 on it and the thing was SO SLOW. It was a XP machine with like 256mb RAM and slow AMD CPU in it.

It just so happens at the moment that I am using Norton Security. It's gotten so much faster and higher detection rates since the 2005 days that it's crazy how far they have come. I have no problems with it. I got it on sale anyways so the price wasn't a big deal.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Same McAfee, it came with my old PC with a extended license (I think was 1 year). I had no problems with it, so when my license finished, I went to my nearest store to buy it, but at that moment they only had Kaspersky and Norton. I bought Norton (I don't know why, in that moment I was quite noobie), and since then, I have been using it, from version 2006-2007 until present.:)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Bkav384_02.jpg

Newer but still very old
440px-BkavHome_windows.png

Now
22a.png

This is a very good Anti-windows software

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
AVG in 1999 on W98 SE on a P3 PC w 64 MB RAM. Then avast on XP in 2004 I think or 2005 maybe. Stayed with Avast until 2012 but went to Q360 TS. Now it's FortiClient and Comodo FW all the way for destops but Kaspersky Security Cloud on this laptop...

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Before Microsoft Defender, before Windows Defender, before Microsoft Security Essentials...

There was something called "Microsoft Antivirus."

Apparently, that was my first antivirus -- at work.

I actually didn't remember that, as I didn't pay any attention to things like that at that time.

But a colleague mentioned it... and I looked it up..

1568998065857.png

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I think Norton is very expensive especially if have to renew your subscription, it gets more and more pricey.:(

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I think Norton is very expensive especially if have to renew your subscription, it gets more and more pricey.:(
Never buy from Norton directly use a reseller and you can pick it up on the cheap.

Reactions: Burrito
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

OK, I did not know that, thanks for the information:)
I use Avast Premium Security now that is also very expensive if you buy Avast Secureline VPN & Avast Clean-up Premium, like I did, today I do not know what I should use these two programs for: The clean up software is too aggressive, the VPN is good but I had SurfEasy Ultra on my system already, typical me.:devil:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.