Battle What would be a Lightweight Security Suite?

Compare list
Avira internet security
Eset internet security
Zonealarm extreme security
Panda dome
Comodo internet security
Other ...?
In-depth Comparison

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
Hi, looking for security suite - have tried actually payed versions of:
Kaspersky internet security
Emsisoft antimalware
Bitdefender internet security
Norton security
The problem on this mashine is with performance (even with not default settings) od with updates (slowing down) - want to try anything other být dont know-how what to choose- please help mě decide:)

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Hi, looking for security suite - have tried actually payed versions of:
Kaspersky internet security
Emsisoft antimalware
Bitdefender internet security
Norton security
The problem on this mashine is with performance (even with not default settings) od with updates (slowing down) - want to try anything other být dont know-how what to choose- please help mě decide:)
Have you tried ESET Internet Security? I've found it to be the lightest suite till date but in terms of protection no one can match Kaspersky since it's the King of all AV's.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
Most internet security suites are packed with extra protection, and other features you wouldn't otherwise use, I recommend trying the Antivirus versions instead.

What OS and the Hardware specs?
agreed, try using AV version instead of internet security solution, I would suggest ESET Nod32 for paid version and Kaspersky Free Antivirus for free version. both are lightweight and have good protection

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Any tips how to “fortify” more security on this Computer ? I mean more security sw to make it more like kis? :)
There are certain HIPS and Firewall rules, including general settings that you'll find on this forum to make ESET more robust(links given below). In general, ESET IS is fine by itself. Just use a good adblocker for your browser and syshardener to harden your OS and you're good to go(not mentioning the basic points that your surfing habits is the most important factor). Last but not the least, always keep a backup.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
There are certain HIPS and Firewall rules, including general settings that you'll find on this forum to make ESET more robust(links given below). In general, ESET IS is fine by itself. Just use a good adblocker for your browser and syshardener to harden your OS and you're good to go(not mentioning the basic points that your surfing habits is the most important factor). Last but not the least, always keep a backup.

The rule making for the HIPS seems complicated at first, but it’s actually pretty easy, especially following those guides.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
Installed eset and no performance impact yet - running trial more days :)
Will look ať settings next days :)
Any tips how to “fortify” more security on this Computer ? I mean more security sw to make it more like kis? :)

And special thanks to all people in this thread, which aimed me on eset :)
can you share to me, how many MB ESET uses your memory?

Reactions: Dave Russo

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Installed eset and no performance impact yet - running trial more days :)
Will look ať settings next days :)

And special thanks to all people in this thread, which aimed me on eset :)
Eset and Voodoshield{For me} is a marriage made in heaven, and a really strong nut to crack, still really light. gl

Eset and Voodoshield{For me} is a marriage made in heaven, and a really strong nut to crack, still really light. gl
UPLOAD.EE - Roboman_s_config_file.xml - Download You can add this hardening download to your Eset program,just download add to your desktop,then open Eset and on the bottom there is the option to import,hit that and add.You will find the firewall to be real chatty and {if it drives you nuts}change it back to automatic or maybe learning mode for a couple of days./Roboman is the expert if you need help,he seems to be ready to lend a helping hand if asked GL.

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
@
can you share to me, how many MB ESET uses your memory?
its made from more screenshots in same time for better view in one :)

i dont want to download Robomans config, but thx for share - i want to make mine settings, and get inspirated by roboman :))
but will look at it later

stupid q - if i make hips to "ask me and make rule" - is it based on some checksum for file, or it is only "if program with this name run, then allow/block it" ? i plan to read documentation (OFC :)) but have wondered this actually, so asking here

Reactions: novocaine

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@

its made from more screenshots in same time for better view in one :)
View attachment 214919

i dont want to download Robomans config, but thx for share - i want to make mine settings, and get inspirated by roboman :))
but will look at it later

stupid q - if i make hips to "ask me and make rule" - is it based on some checksum for file, or it is only "if program with this name run, then allow/block it" ? i plan to read documentation (OFC :)) but have wondered this actually, so asking here

It goes by the name.exe of the file and it’s location I believe.

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
thats not good if it is true - at least for paranoid user :)
because what happened, when i allow some app as "trusted" and make rule for hips... and this exe get infected later - then hips wont recognize file change and leave it run because it has right name and location ? - or am i wrong ? help doesnot get a lot info about hips :( (at least in this way)
sorry for mine english - its not good, i know (but i think the idea can be read from it :)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
because what happened, when i allow some app as "trusted" and make rule for hips... and this exe get infected later - then hips wont recognize file change and leave it run because it has right name and location ? - or am i wrong ? help doesnot get a lot info about hips :( (at least in this way)
sorry for mine english - its not good, i know (but i think the idea can be read from it :)

Well something else would be infecting that exe to begin with, so in that case you already had another failure. Like I said, I’m not 100% of how it ids files, someone else might be more knowledgeable.

L

Local Host

Is not by name, that would be easy to exploit.

They use MD5 checks to confirm if the file was changed (if they're smart), relying solely on certificates is not smart either.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
My system slowed down with Kaspersky Security Cloud, so I'm back to Bitdefender Free (the boot time problem has disappeared) coupled with Sphinxsoft Firewall Control Free. Anything else I put in the browser (like NoScript and uBlock Origin), and free versions of secondary scanners (MalwareBytes and Zemana).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.