Battle What's the best Free Sandbox in 2020?

Software comparison
All Free
Feature comparison
  1. Ease of use
  2. Most available features

ichito

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 12, 2013
Sorry what was the question,?
Here you have
I know Comodo, Qihoo and from the past Norman (sold years ago to AVG), SysWatch (Safe'n'Sec) and soft connected Av engine with LV like Returnil/Quietzone or Micropoint. Do you know somthing else with local sandbox in which we can normaly run installed applications?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 21
Verified
Dec 12, 2016
Here you have
I know Comodo, Qihoo and from the past Norman (sold years ago to AVG), SysWatch (Safe'n'Sec) and soft connected with LV like Returnil/Quietzone or Micropoint. Do you know somthing else with local sandbox in which we can normaly run installed applications?
The post I sent a few weeks ago was misleading .
I was referring to the Emulator of the AV and it's a kind of a virtualized environment .
But not one you can test programs on .

Other sandbox virtualization environments that you can actually run programs safely are mostly endpoint products other then your list.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Oct 10, 2014
Here you have
I know Comodo, Qihoo and from the past Norman (sold years ago to AVG), SysWatch (Safe'n'Sec) and soft connected Av engine with LV like Returnil/Quietzone or Micropoint. Do you know somthing else with local sandbox in which we can normaly run installed applications?
paid avast has had a sandbox for a long time, and now i'm seeing that avg appears to have one (in paid - likely the avast one). and webroot (though theirs is a different type of beast - also paid). i don't know if you have control to run other programs in the avast/avg one. webroot does this automatically with untrusted files (they also have a testing environment you can use, but it isn't as user friendly).

jackuars

Level 26
Verified
Jul 2, 2014
Sandboxie is your best bet if you are looking for a freeware sandboxing program. It used to be a freemium product in the past, but now it's turned open source and fully free which means even the previously paid components are free too. For the best feature set I recommend this product. It has a good fan following too, which means the community is not bad

McMcbrad

Level 20
Oct 16, 2020
paid avast has had a sandbox for a long time, and now i'm seeing that avg appears to have one (in paid - likely the avast one). and webroot (though theirs is a different type of beast - also paid). i don't know if you have control to run other programs in the avast/avg one. webroot does this automatically with untrusted files (they also have a testing environment you can use, but it isn't as user friendly).
Hello,

Just to clarify Avast has a full-fledged sandbox, not just an emulator, where you can run any software you’d like. It uses hardware security to prevent sandbox “escape”.

AVG doesn’t have a sandbox, it only has an emulator, but it compensates with other tools included (Password and breach scanner).

I am not aware of any sandboxing in Webroot home products.

Last edited:

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Oct 10, 2014
Hello,

Just to clarify Avast has a full-fledged sandbox, not just an emulator, where you can run any software you’d like. It uses hardware security to prevent sandbox “escape”.

AVG doesn’t have a sandbox, it only has an emulator, but it compensates with other tools included (Password and breach scanner).

I am not aware of any sandboxing in Webroot home products.
i agree they work differently, but AVG does call it a sandbox.

Attachments

• webroot.JPG
    webroot.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: