Battle What's the best Free Sandbox in 2020?

Compare list
All Free
In-depth Comparison

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
But unfortunately reality is opposite.
Developers cut corners abandoned quickly , get mad of all the requests of supporting making open source and don't give a [removed] about it.

Read the Sandboxie thread @ Wilders for examples of open-source issues. I wouldn't trust my system to the current build ... 👣👣👣

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Sorry what was the question,?
Here you have
I know Comodo, Qihoo and from the past Norman (sold years ago to AVG), SysWatch (Safe'n'Sec) and soft connected Av engine with LV like Returnil/Quietzone or Micropoint. Do you know somthing else with local sandbox in which we can normaly run installed applications?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Here you have
I know Comodo, Qihoo and from the past Norman (sold years ago to AVG), SysWatch (Safe'n'Sec) and soft connected with LV like Returnil/Quietzone or Micropoint. Do you know somthing else with local sandbox in which we can normaly run installed applications?
The post I sent a few weeks ago was misleading .
I was referring to the Emulator of the AV and it's a kind of a virtualized environment .
But not one you can test programs on .

Other sandbox virtualization environments that you can actually run programs safely are mostly endpoint products other then your list.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Here you have
I know Comodo, Qihoo and from the past Norman (sold years ago to AVG), SysWatch (Safe'n'Sec) and soft connected Av engine with LV like Returnil/Quietzone or Micropoint. Do you know somthing else with local sandbox in which we can normaly run installed applications?
paid avast has had a sandbox for a long time, and now i'm seeing that avg appears to have one (in paid - likely the avast one). and webroot (though theirs is a different type of beast - also paid). i don't know if you have control to run other programs in the avast/avg one. webroot does this automatically with untrusted files (they also have a testing environment you can use, but it isn't as user friendly).

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Sandboxie is your best bet if you are looking for a freeware sandboxing program. It used to be a freemium product in the past, but now it's turned open source and fully free which means even the previously paid components are free too. For the best feature set I recommend this product. It has a good fan following too, which means the community is not bad

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

paid avast has had a sandbox for a long time, and now i'm seeing that avg appears to have one (in paid - likely the avast one). and webroot (though theirs is a different type of beast - also paid). i don't know if you have control to run other programs in the avast/avg one. webroot does this automatically with untrusted files (they also have a testing environment you can use, but it isn't as user friendly).
Hello,

Just to clarify Avast has a full-fledged sandbox, not just an emulator, where you can run any software you’d like. It uses hardware security to prevent sandbox “escape”.

AVG doesn’t have a sandbox, it only has an emulator, but it compensates with other tools included (Password and breach scanner).

I am not aware of any sandboxing in Webroot home products.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Hello,

Just to clarify Avast has a full-fledged sandbox, not just an emulator, where you can run any software you’d like. It uses hardware security to prevent sandbox “escape”.

AVG doesn’t have a sandbox, it only has an emulator, but it compensates with other tools included (Password and breach scanner).

I am not aware of any sandboxing in Webroot home products.
i agree they work differently, but AVG does call it a sandbox.

Attachments

• webroot.JPG
    webroot.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.