Battle What's the best Free Sandbox in 2020?

Compare list
All Free
In-depth Comparison

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Since you brought up Cruelsister I remembered her post about Shade. No clue if it was fixed or not.
Post 177+
e.g:"As examples, looks like a Service can be created by an application run from within the sandbox, and even worse it seems that a sandboxed process can both fork and autostart a legit Windows file."

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
So if i understand the situation is this:
1. sandboxie have many incompatibility
2. shade isnt free
3. comodo firewall is good, but have to install comodo
4. quihoo (i saw videos blocking ransomwares, for what i understand should be good)

Missing somethings?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
CM- Remember that Comodo is an Auto-Containment system. This is of extreme importance!

For instance, plop your browser into Sandboxie and anything that arises out of the use of the browser will be contained with the ability of reversal; but run some malware file without directing Sandboxie to contain it and you are lost. CF, on the other hand, will sandbox that file no matter where it comes from and WITHOUT user input. An important and useful difference.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Of the few remaining, Comodo is probably the most secure. But most people won't take the time, don't know how, or don't know they can adjust settings.
A properly configured Comodo firewall is formidable. I'm not saying it can't be beaten. Anything can. But I gather it isn't easy.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
With Windows Sandbox, i note this comes with the legacy Edge Browser. Is there a way to replace/update this with the newer Chromium Edge Browser rather than it revert to legacy once the sandbox is closed and re-opened ?
Edit: I don't believe so, but you can use Application Guard to run Edge Chromium.

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Of the few remaining, Comodo is probably the most secure. But most people won't take the time, don't know how, or don't know they can adjust settings.
A properly configured Comodo firewall is formidable. I'm not saying it can't be beaten. Anything can. But I gather it isn't easy.
Not most secure but very hard to break.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Many avs have sandbox /virtualization sandbox
I don't use AV from years...tell me please how many and which...
Best for security VM, Windows Sandbox.
Windows sandbox?...best for security? It's as good as good and solid is Windows 10 that is in constant renovation...so why do you think that?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Question about Sandboxie: it is free now and will be open source (in future): I am not a programmer, so apologize when this question is stupid

Open source means everyone can (re)view the source code. Would that give hackers an extra option to find vulnabilites?

As said I am not a programmer: how is the vetting/approval of open source software managed. Is is possible that hackers can slip-in code to create backdoors et cetera. How is the promotion of newly added code managed (e.g. from test to beta to production)? Which authority approves a change?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Question about Sandboxie: it is free now and will be open source (in future): I am not a programmer, so apologize when this question is stupid

Open source means everyone can (re)view the source code. Would that give hackers an extra option to find vulnabilites?

As said I am not a programmer: how is the vetting/approval of open source software managed. Is is possible that hackers can slip-in code to create backdoors et cetera. How is the promotion of newly added code managed (e.g. from test to beta to production)? Which authority approves a change?
A hacker will run a debugger/ fuzzer and disassemble it anyway if it was closed software of course but open source would save them much time especially running an old hardware .
But it's very important for bringing more security researchers to protect it .
So as long a program developer does very hard work hardening the program and security researchers find where the developers made mistakes and you will have a very good security 👍.
But unfortunately reality is opposite.
Developers cut corners abandoned quickly , get mad of all the requests of supporting making open source and don't give a ##### about it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.