Advice Request What's the lowest generation Intel processor to buy in 2020/21?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
General question for when buying a computer.

10th is the latest and greatest, but is it OK to buy an 9th gen or lower?

Not everyone needs that extra fraction of a micro-second in stats. So what would you recommend the lowest generation to go for in 2020/2021?

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I’m still on an i7 6700 and it is still snappy and keeps up with my video card just fine. I wouldn’t recommend buying that now, but their higher end processors tend to have decent longevity. An 8th gen would probably be good for a good long while and a 9th gen I would recommend.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
The lowest? I think Skylake 6th generation is getting too old, all-around. I would feel like I'm buying a brand-spanking new Oldsmobile (Olds is defunct since 2004).

I would get the highest level I am willing to pay to make some so-called future-proofing. BUT you run the risk of locking yourself to a cpu-mainboard from two generations to the next ones. For example: I can't put an i7 10700K on my new and modern Z390 board. but I was already aware of that. So I would look into component upgrade compatibility before buying. I have 9th generation hardware and definitely can't complain, even though it's locked there. You're right: a fraction of a second is meaningless here.

Intel is having so many problems right now with its technology and personnel, it shakes my confidence a bit in anything coming out in the near future. I have no personal experience with AMD but a lot of people on Steam are sporting some amazing Ryzen builds for considerably less money than Intel counterparts.

CyberPanther

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
If the ourpose to purchase a laptop to browse the internet and office suites, I do recommend to use the 9th or 8th generations processers. But if the purpose is gaming and graphics usage (video editing, Autocad, etc) then I recommend 10th generation processors.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Choose older generation only if you don't care about power efficiency.

For mobile I won't recommend 6th - 8th gen+ (8th gen was a huge upgrade )

For desktop an Exon wich can be bought used locally or via AliExpress .
I recommend it because it has better to slightly better value then newest ryzen chips depending upon workload unfortunately power draw is a major concern in my opinion although depending upon region

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If you're not editing videos or playing games, we recommend choosing a cpu based on your budget, not your performance.
The state-of-the-art processor is too luxurious for general use such as browsing online or watching videos. In this case, it is more comfortable to spend money on the speed of the communication line and the introduction of ssd.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Choose older generation only if you don't care about power efficiency.

For mobile I won't recommend 6th - 8th gen+ (8th gen was a huge upgrade )

For desktop an Exon wich can be bought used locally or via AliExpress .
I recommend it because it has better to slightly better value then newest ryzen chips depending upon workload unfortunately power draw is a major concern in my opinion although depending upon region
Correction I just seen I said I won't recommend 6th -8th gen it was a Typo .
Actually I meant to choose between 6th - 8th for older mobile CPU.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Intel is having so many problems right now with its technology and personnel, it shakes my confidence a bit in anything coming out in the near future. I have no personal experience with AMD but a lot of people on Steam are sporting some amazing Ryzen builds for considerably less money than Intel counterparts.
I'm not a gamer so aside from power usage considerations I'm not too bothered about having the latest build, never have been. Those micro-second speed boosts pass me by without being noticed. No video I watch on machines here ahve any noticible lag etc, none of them are anywhere near brand spanking new machines. If I had to build a new PC I'd most likely not use Intel, their 8,9,10th gen CPUs are really good but Intels future looks blurred, at least in the near term, wheras AMD looks like it may have a more settled future.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
The differences between generations are quite inconstant. There was a jump in performance in mobile 8th to 9th generation, for instance. But from 9th to 10th the changes are less noticeable on day to day use.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.