Advice Request Where do you save your two factor authentication backup codes?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
i use keepass, secure password with a keyfile
with totp plugin you can not only store your 2fa setup keys/backup codes, you can use keepass as a totp generator to save you reaching for your phone when using your desktop (i have same codes availiable on google auth app and in keepass when on desktop/laptop)
(you can even configure via hotkey to enter the totp into the correct sites as needed)

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I prefer redundant backups.

plaintext txt --> 256 bit AES veracrypt container.
I uploaded the container to
1. free clouds (they have same and very easy login password)
2. ssd partition (the partition is not protected at all)
3. external ssd and pendrive (protected by 256 bit bitlocker)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
200.gif

byronbytes

Level 2
Mar 30, 2022
a random text document on my computer probably named iohjoijhirohjfiojnmgiohkjtdonjkhgo0jikojyrk.txt or something

L

Local Host

Heavily encrypted inside an image file, even if it gets downloaded lets say by malware, it won't have the file cause will be a copy of the image.

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Store them my password manager programs: Lastpass, 1Password, Bitwarden & Dashlane.

safetrend

Level 1
Apr 15, 2022
I usually save them on my Bitwarden. Backup codes need my password to be shown and Bitwarden has 2FA code copy&paste function.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.