Antivirus

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Indeed good points :)
Trying to decide between G Data or Bitdefender on this machine..??
I would have recommended GData if it wasn't such a pain cancelling the subscription. You actually have to send them a letter 30 days before the subscription runs out, stating that you don't want to get it renewed automatically...

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Indeed good points :)
Trying to decide between G Data or Bitdefender on this machine..??
For what it’s worth I’m currently running Bitdefender on my gaming machine and I get the highest benchmarks/FPS with it (didn’t try G DATA). RAM isn’t a concern so I’ve kept it for now. My criteria is it has to have less impact on my normal usage than Defender, or there’s no point in a third party. And obviously decent protection scores, but that's pretty much any major vendor including M$. On my other machines I run whatever for fun and curiosity sake.

Last edited:

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
MD isn't third-party so it doesn't increase attack surface
If you disable it you reduce your attack surface so it actually does increase attack surface. There were bugs in past that exploited MD's vulnerabilities to perform RCEs and similar. So for short any AV increases attack surface. Weather it's built in or 3rd party is irrelevant.

EDIT: I found this: RCE Vulnerability Affecting Microsoft Defender | CISA

Microsoft has released a security advisory to address a remote code execution vulnerability, CVE-2021-1647, in Microsoft Defender. A remote attacker can exploit this vulnerability to take control of an affected system. This vulnerability was detected in exploits in the wild.
EDIT2 (my bolding): Security Update Guide - Microsoft Security Response Center
Microsoft Defender is disabled in my environment, why are vulnerability scanners showing that I am vulnerable to this issue?
Vulnerability scanners are looking for specific binaries and version numbers on devices. Microsoft Defender files are still on disk even when disabled. Systems that have disabled Microsoft Defender are not in an exploitable state.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
3. Bitdefender Total Security

The product shines with great performance and protection and large array of features. However, slower reaction to new threats than the other two opponents + hit and miss performance of ransomware remediation, place this product last with the lowest rating.
Overall Rating: 3.5/5

@Gandalf_The_Grey I agree with everything on the list, but i wonder why he thinks Bitdefender is slow to react to new threats, as like it miss in ransomware remediation

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@Gandalf_The_Grey I agree with everything on the list, but i wonder why he thinks Bitdefender is slow to react to new threats, as like it miss in ransomware remediation
They don't update their signatures as quickly as Kaspersky and ESET. The HUB testing has reflected this in the last two years. I personally think it's because they rely on their behavior blocker more than they used to.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@gery79
You may find this useful.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
This is why I prefer the Default Deny approach of Hard_Configurator or the auto-containment of Comodo or Vodooshield. Most AVs use cloud analysis. Despite it's lack of program updates, Comodo is still something I revert back to when I'm feeling paranoid but H_C/CD/FWH seems to serve me well. I just need to get around to using CFA.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
This is why I prefer the Default Deny approach of Hard_Configurator or the auto-containment of Comodo or Vodooshield. Most AVs use cloud analysis. Despite it's lack of program updates, Comodo is still something I revert back to when I'm feeling paranoid but H_C/CD/FWH seems to serve me well. I just need to get around to using CFA.
Ever tried AppGuard?

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
They don't update their signatures as quickly as Kaspersky and ESET. The HUB testing has reflected this in the last two years. I personally think it's because they rely on their behavior blocker more than they used to.

Bitdefender is one of those products that can't be properly tested when you turn off modules, the same applies to ESET. They work similarly in this aspect... Before a malware is allowed to run it must go through web filter, cloud behavior analysis, local behavior analysis and heuristics. Both products behavior analysis needs multiple modules active that monitor distinct parts of the system. Turn them off and you weaken your protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.