Battle Which Antivirus do you dislike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
AVG (Free)

While working in a PC repair shop the majority of infected PC's coming in were running the free version. People still think it's one of the best free options around. A few years ago this may have been the case but no anymore.

Maggie

Feb 1, 2013
Trend,,, product's probably okay but as a senior user found their customer service unhelpful ,support staff used pc terms which were all Greek to me and were quite impatient when I had to ask them to explain what they meant, there are lots of seniors in my position who are new to the technology and this sort of attitude must cost them lost sales

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Maggie said:
Trend,,, product's probably okay but as a senior user found their customer service unhelpful ,support staff used pc terms which were all Greek to me and were quite impatient when I had to ask them to explain what they meant, there are lots of seniors in my position who are new to the technology and this sort of attitude must cost them lost sales

Wow, okay. I've never had a problem with the support from Trend. They've always seemed to get back to me quite quickly.

Glad to see though there is another Trend user. :)

MidniteQue

Verified
Feb 4, 2013
Norton

I ended up with a computer full of Malware (adware, hijackers and such) while Norton ran in the background. Granted I was irresponsible expecting Norton to take over while I played games in FaceBook, added Browser plugins without checking them out first and so on. It seems that Norton should have done it's job and warned me or stopped them.

P

Plexx

RE: Norton

MidniteQue said:
I ended up with a computer full of Malware (adware, hijackers and such) while Norton ran in the background. Granted I was irresponsible expecting Norton to take over while I played games in FaceBook, added Browser plugins without checking them out first and so on. It seems that Norton should have done it's job and warned me or stopped them.

No solution will 100% protect its user. If there was, everyone would be solely using such solution.

No point in blaming a solution for your browsing habits mistakes.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
WOw, Norton and Bitdefender are the most disliked products........Now that's interesting! :p

I partialy dislike McAfee, and in fact all security products who use as their main line of defense the antivirus engine... To simply put it, most computers that I have to clean have as protection McAfee or onother product that lacks modern security features. If I'm paying 60$ for protection, than I wouldn't like to see a ransomware taking over my computer...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you used AVG Free?

Tom172 said:
AVG (Free)

Also.. experienced the "Aw, Snap!" in Google Chrome? See what they recommend.
https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95669&p=e_awsnap

Enjoy! :D

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
My vote goes to AVG. In my opinion it is overpriced, may fp's and ugly interface.

kat3cats

Feb 7, 2013
Norton and AVG. I'm no techie anymore, but they.. SUCK.
I've been using IOLO for a few months now, but looking to broaden my horizons after the latest virus. Thanks to you guys it's all bettah now :)

**newb**

Shadowave

Level 10
Verified
Aug 10, 2012
What I dislike is definitely Kaspersky because to heavy, too many false alarms and I had a bad experience with a license that I bought and it was blocked by Kaspersky that I recovered after a long ... long time and after a long discussion with those from Kaspersky

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Stranger said:
I think people included their experience with av 4-5 back years too while voting :p

Yes I believe this to be the case because in the past; AVG Free, Norton and Microsoft had crappy antivirus now they have improved very much.

Norton is no longer the bloatware product it used to be, the new bloatware is BitDefender.

AVG Free used to have only basic detection and features, now it has better detection and features. Comparable or sometimes better then many paid products. AVG Free has improved very much and people should give it a try before saying it is still crap.

Microsoft security products used to be the worst, now Microsoft Security Essentials/ Windows Defender on Windows 8 offers better protection then many of the paid products. But still a lot of people and testing sites tries to say their security products are crap but it isn't true.
Paid security vendors are afraid that Microsoft will hurt their sales if people believe they don't need to buy security products.

ESET remains to be the most liked paid product and I can think of many reasons why. I wished they would release a free version to boost their sales.

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Yes I believe this to be the case because in the past; AVG Free, Norton and Microsoft had crappy antivirus now they have improved very much.

As have other products, but some users have rather deep-seated opinions towards certain vendors and they continue to let this cloud their judgment and will never admit to any improvement.

That is never going to change, unfortunately. :s

Well, you know what they say about opinions! :biggrin:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
:angel:

Yes, I did vote Comodo. Not much I can say, despite it having improved detections and whatnot, it doesn't have "safety and security" feel as other products with many more years of experience. The program doesn't deliver to what I'm used to.

HeffeD said:
.. some users have rather deep-seated opinions towards certain vendors and they continue to let this cloud their judgment and will never admit to any improvement.

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
RE: Which Antivirus do you Hate

Umbra Corp. said:
i hate Kaspersky's products

- Heavy
- nonsense licensing system
- huge & supra-slow initial signature update
- because many people swore it is the best :666:

totally agree
trialed last year and all that I witnessed was a constant crash of my PC
uninstalled and no dramas anymore!!!

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
RE: Which Antivirus do you Hate

softwareFREEk said:
Umbra Corp. said:
i hate Kaspersky's products

- Heavy
- nonsense licensing system
- huge & supra-slow initial signature update
- because many people swore it is the best :666:

totally agree
trialed last year and all that I witnessed was a constant crash of my PC
uninstalled and no dramas anymore!!!

Same here... Very heavy for my system. I have problems for uninstall it too.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I have had trust issues with Bitdefender since it bricked my computer by flagging and removing the official Windows Vista SP2 installer .. while it was installing.
I have also seen their engine flag simple "Hello, World!" programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.