Battle Which Antivirus do you dislike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Well, honestly.. I wouldn't trust any active security solution while installing an OS Service Pack. False positives are common with any AV product and the risk of bricking the OS while installing is not worth taking.

Apparently the thing with Vista SP2 happened with Norton as well:
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Windows-Vista-Service-Pack-2-False-Positive/td-p/189890

Bottom line, uninstall/disable any AV before installing an OS Service Pack. :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
:angel:

Yes, I did vote Comodo. Not much I can say, despite it having improved detections and whatnot, it doesn't have "safety and security" feel as other products with many more years of experience. The program doesn't deliver to what I'm used to.

No problems there. Go with what you feel comfortable with. :)

I was more referring to some of the comments made by users that are obviously not based on actual experience. If you don't even understand how it works, how can you possibly badmouth it? (Unless of course, your gripe is that you don't even understand how it works :p )

benynando

Verified
Jan 4, 2013
I do not like bitdefender, antivirus although it often gets the first rank, but because weight is installed on my computer, so I do not wear it.

glib2007

Jan 3, 2012
I am really surprised why there are still a lot of people who doesn't like Bitdefender knowing the fact that they are joining Bitdefender giveaways. I've used a lot of antivirus software but Bitdefender had given me an impression which others didn't. What I really care about is the comprehensive protection a program is offering and I think, in my opinion, Bitdefender is unparalleled when it comes to that department. It has the best antimalware engine, firewall, user interface, etc. Well, I would say that my computer boots slower compared to using other antivirus program but I think we just need patience because after computer boot-up, my system is not anymore that sluggish.

P

Plexx

glib2007 said:
I am really surprised why there are still a lot of people who doesn't like Bitdefender knowing the fact that they are joining Bitdefender giveaways. I've used a lot of antivirus software but Bitdefender had given me an impression which others didn't. What I really care about is the comprehensive protection a program is offering and I think, in my opinion, Bitdefender is unparalleled when it comes to that department. It has the best antimalware engine, firewall, user interface, etc. Well, I would say that my computer boots slower compared to using other antivirus program but I think we just need patience because after computer boot-up, my system is not anymore that sluggish.

BD has a very high detection rate: agreed.

BD has the best antimalware engine (this incorporates removal as well as scanning): by far the worst scanning per file and removal methods leave a lot to be desired.

BD has the best firewall: There are way better ones.

BD is on top of the foodchain in test for reasons we all know and discussed already in several topics here in MT. BD is also one of the least liked because of system responsiveness impact (not simply boot time).

All the cons do not make it worth having installed in the system.

From High end to Mid end systems, users have installed and dicthed it not long after for various reasons. Have a search and read and you will see such reasons for it.

Let's also not forget when version 2013 came out, within 1 week, their forums was swarmed by problematic posts, which resembles the ongoing trend of avast forums... Only difference is that at least you see BD acknowledging the issue while over avast end you have random users posting BS most of the time.

That is not to say BD fixes bugs with the highest priority. In fact they tend to leave high priority bugs unattended and fix some minor ones.

Over and over again people have complaint about scanning speed (files/second). Nothing was done.

Their offline signatures to download are released on a weekly basis.

If I really wanted to use a BD detection engine, I would must use any other vendor, i.e Emsisoft where its removal capabilities are far superior for example.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
glib2007 said:

Testing and using a lot of Antiviruses since 2006, Bitdefender has really impressed me the most as well in those aspects enumerated by you.

I am glad that a friend recommended me to try the 2013 version, I have gained a lot of respect for their products ever since.

That some people have issues with them, well that's too bad. :D

P

Plexx

avastalicious said:
Testing and using a lot of Antiviruses since 2006, Bitdefender has really impressed me the most as well in those aspects enumerated by you.

I am glad that a friend recommended me to try the 2013 version, I have gained a lot of respect for their products ever since.

That some people have issues with them, well that's too bad. :D

I would like to see you comment on scan speed, removal and other short comings instead of simply making it look like it is "perfect suite/solution" for most users when we all know it is not.

If you have tested solutions and viruses for years, then your reply simply did not offer any explanation or attempt to answer the question posed by previous poster and tells me you haven't.

In fact, without resorting to google and search through forums, care to comment 2011, 2012 and 2013 BD solutions pros and cons?

Anyone that has tested a solution well enough would list pros/cons with backed up arguments, not simply what you have done.

Akash209

Verified
Feb 11, 2013
kaspersky: Worst an ever..
Bitdefender: too much confusing and bugs..
Norton: Automatically crashed in lower middle pc
Avg: uglly interface, worst firewall, marwal and virus dection
Trendmicro: good but slow down PC
Comodo: no interest..
Avast: allways updaing..!!
Avira: Lots of false Positive
Eset: while scaning cpu usage 100%
Nano Antivirus: Good but till improve..
Quick Heal: Very good but Malware dection is Worst..
K7 ultimate security: I use htis Its best, but Firewall is Middium..

Claw

Level 1
Verified
Feb 11, 2013
AVG, because I have cleaner quite a few computers of infection that were running AVG, plus it just seems to get more bloated with each update.

I

illumination

I can honestly say to date, there are non i dislike, the reason, is simple.. There was a time i disliked a lot of the these listed, mainly because i was not familiar with them and had issues until i did learn and became familiar. I have also learned not to rely 100% on my main security solution for protection. Now system resources do play a big part of the game with some of these, does not make them bad products, just that a few of these products may not be able to run efficiently on some systems. Advanced users, as is the case with many in this forum, should be able to run any of the mentioned above and remain quite safe, of course this would involve additional security features/practices in place.

If i was to pick one from the past i did not care for, it would have been Norton, only because i cleaned many machines with this installed. In all fairness though, many of the times were due to people either letting their subscriptions go, not updating their systems, poor surfing habits,ect...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Claw said:
AVG, because I have cleaner quite a few computers of infection that were running AVG, plus it just seems to get more bloated with each update.

I can remember back in 2002 when I cleaned up my mother's system. She had AVG Free and over 100 active malware running. AVG didn't not detect any of them and it was updated. I thought to myself what a piece of crap antivirus. But that was back then now AVG has did many improvements enough for me to feel confident to recommend. Although still is not my first recommendation for a free AV but would be in the top 5.

Thanks.:D

mahanddeem

Jan 20, 2013
I am very suprised to see that many hate BD !!!
I am stil using BD IS 2011 64bit , boot time is the same when BD installed or not ...
Updates are fast ..
detection rate is fantastic
Scans are fast
Firewall is doing a fine job(maybe not the best but stil fine)

Also notices on another laptop that Norton 2013 is also a good product..

ganesan

Level 1
Sep 15, 2012
COMODO is worst while uninstall
1. Internet Connection I lost.
2. All F: Drive Program File Path is not show I lost all data.
I use only COMODO Dragon with Norton DNS
It uses less memory than Google Chrome.

Mod Edit.

P

Plexx

Caps Lock button exists for a reason: turn off Caps once it is turned on. If you want users to take their time, read your posts and take you seriously, consider not using the Caps Lock feature...

If you have had issue whilst uninstalling comodo, have you seeked assistance in their forums?

I have not seen any case when uninstalling comodo would "wipe" clean the drive.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
my vote goes to Kaspersky.....although it is excellent product, it is too heavy on system resources.....currently using Bitdefender total security, there is random system and internet speed slowdown....also slow scanning speed.......but I think for windows 8, windows defender is more than enough, it is light and has good scanning speed too at least better than bitdefender scanning speed.....only issue for me with windows defender in windows 8 is lack of context menu scan option.....I know there is some registry tweak to get context menu option but then scanning is done through cmd, no progress bar nothing....if context menu is brought back I will go for windows defender :)....

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
RE: Which Antivirus do you Hate

Wow Norton is winning in Dislikes. But Really Norton is good Security Suite but it is too slow on Windows7 & Windows 8 & a lot Dependent on Internet.

Defender

Verified
Feb 13, 2013
I Hate Microsoft Security Products MSE,Windows defender, etc.

1.Awful detection rate

2.makes boot time really slow

3.is overall a horrible product and i would not reccomend it

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Defender said:
I Hate Microsoft Security Products MSE,Windows defender, etc.

1.Awful detection rate

2.makes boot time really slow

3.is overall a horrible product and i would not reccomend it

Detection rate based on what, the money influenced AV testing sites?
Many of my customers are fully protected by it and never get infections.

This is the first time I have ever heard MSE/ Windows Defender makes boot time slow, if it does then that means any other AV product would make boot time twice as slow or even more.

I have MSE installed on an old XP system from 2002 with only running a Intel Pentium 4 1.6Mhz and only 256 RAM. No slow down on boot time.

MSE a horrible product based on what?

Read this- Microsoft Security Essentials Is the Number 1 Anti-Virus in the World

The AV testing sites still can not encourage MSE/ Windows Defender users to switch because it does protect them.

I'm sorry a horrible product would not be that popular with users.

People need to stop giving so much credit to AV testing sites because money controls the results not actual facts.

Thanks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.