Advice Request Which AV was the first one you installed ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

G

Guilhermesene

images (5).jpeg
images (6).jpegimages (4).jpeg

I miss this time, I had a luxury with these CDs and those who had them valued them.

Today things are so accessible that many times we don't value them, many things have become disposable.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Norton way way back early 2000s. Why I uninstalled? It was such a massive CPU hog in the early 2000s lol but we thought that meant it was working.

Currently have K7 because it's the lightest on Mac and doesn't have all the VPN, Cleaner bloatware attached like the others.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
As I remember I used a version of Norton that had major issues( 1990's) the updater was separate program & there ere problems with updating the updater & the program was beyond bloated which wasn't good as I had limited space & recourses - I think I ended up with F-Prot & maybe later NOD32. It was a while ago so not sure of order or times - I remember using clean-sweep to remove programs, I was also conned by SoftRam that didn't work :):) As again I remember Windows 3.11 had a built in virus scanner that could not be updated but I did run it occasionally.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
That would be Avast back like... 10 years ago.

I was blown away by their 7 shields... I was like "SEVEN SHIELDS??? Wow!! Look at this other one, only has two. This means Avast is a lot better... more shields, better protection!!".

I later changed to ESET because I started to learn about independent tests, and since then haven't gone back to Avast (but yes to AVG).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.