Advice Request Which Bitdefender engine using AV is better ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
What's Xsjx mean is the version of Avira on VirusTotal dose not use cloud it's only the offline signature.

upload_2017-4-15_0-8-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-15_0-8-48.png
    upload_2017-4-15_0-8-48.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 379

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Do they provide a reason as to why?
If I remember correctly Avira made a stink over a claim that they didn't detect a certain ransomware sample a few years back because it wasn't listed as detected on VT. Their signatures missed the sample but their cloud analysis caught it. I believe they got uppity with VT and that's why they're the only vendor with "(no cloud)" next to their name on VT.

Edit: I found Avira's response to the claim:
Locky in the Cloud with Ransomware - Avira Blog

Last edited:

A.S.K

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 19, 2016
What about Lavasoft AV ? any one used its latest version ? does it uses Bitdefenders latest engine ?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
What about Lavasoft AV ? any one used its latest version ? does it uses Bitdefenders latest engine ?
It uses Bitdefender's engine but the free version only has signature based detection. It's paid version nets you all the other features (AVC, web protection, firewall, etc.) but I still see no reason to use it over Bitdefender's own AV or something like Emsisoft or G-Data unless you prefer the UI.

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
G-Data, Emsisoft, F-Secure are the ones that stand out to me. All use dual engines and have their own behaviour blocker. All have great detection rates not sure which is the lightest on performance if I had to guess i'd say Emsisoft. Qihoo 360 is another one that has Bitdefender/Avira/Qihoo engine it's also very light while using 5 different engines.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Why antivirus with Bitdefender engine? Why so particular?

Besides on having a decent signatures, Bitdefender is a company which willing to borrow the license engine from partners without any complicated process compare to other security companies.

In that matter it increases the popularity and business output.

----------------------

One thing to consider is the latest BD engines to use which definitely affects the overall detection mechanism.

Emsisoft, Gdata, and F-secure are among the three products which maintain the detection capabilities. Some products are still relying on the old engine of BD.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
I think Emsisoft is the best, very accurate and realiable, doesn't take resources and my nerves, very friendly UI and configurable as I like. Can't wait to go back to EMSI from F-Secure....

After Emsisoft, I feel F-Secure a bit dumb and paranoic. Also I dislike a small amount of configuration possilbilties. Also whitelist system is not so cool, and virus detection dialogue doesn't allow to ignore detection. In general, works well, I am afraid only about possible ransomware attack.

360 is so paranoic, it's amount of falsepositives made me stop using this antivirus at all. Whitelist doesn't work correctly, too agressive, that's why I aqn't recommend it for the daily user.

Bitdefender exactly feels like damn Symantec, I hate this automatics which is now popular nowadays at AV... Thanks god that F-Secure allows to control himself, but Bitdefender like to automaticaly clean something moreover if you work in "manual" mode of it.

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
Bitdefender is a company which willing to borrow the license engine from partners without any complicated process compare to other security companies.
Yes, that's true, and they also provide a good pricing for the companies.. Bitdefender seems to be a good product, I respect it as much, as Kaspersky. I trust only to this two AV engines.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
I have got a message from Bitdefender on my desktop:don't worry about Wannacry we got it covered:D;)
I know, I like responce time from BitDef team... But I am afraid that there is possibility to catch 0-day, and F-Secure won't react...

I hate this damn new rules, I can't check if Zillya AV detects wanna cry, because I can't download the sample... And VirusTotal's bases are outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.