Advice Request Which block lists do you use with UBO, AG and ABP ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
These are among others the one I'm using from my different browsers FF, Brave and Chrome based.

AdGuard Annoyances

Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

Top500 most used ad & trackers in West Europe & North America

http : // vxvault . net/URL_List . php

Block-EU-Cookie-#####-List

I don't care about cookies

Online Malicious URL Blocklist

Reduce Google nuisances on search, maps and youtube

Which block list do you use for now ?

How do you cope with the overlapped lists ? Do you compare, cleaned your list ?

Do you make your own customized list ?

Any comment or contribution will be great, thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
My uBlock Origin Filer list:
Aantekening 2020-07-04 195352.png

Two custom lists:
Frogeye's first party only trackers needed on chromium-based browsers to block CNAME Cloaking.
AdGuard Dutch filter blocks more (some on my request) than EasyList Dutch for Dutch websites.

Any recommendations?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
My uBlock Origin Filer list:
View attachment 243828
Two custom lists:
Frogeye's first party only trackers needed on chromium-based browsers to block CNAME Cloaking.
AdGuard Dutch filter blocks more (some on my request) than EasyList Dutch for Dutch websites.

Any recommendations?
I forgot about Frogeye's first party only tracker list. That's a good one with much less rules.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
@redsworn

2. It looks like chinese for me :p:LOL:

4. Thank you so much. All is clear on my mind. When you talked about static filters was about its performance as a filter. I fully agree with that static filters can slow down our browser, so the advise, is not to take a lot. I'm really happy that you said that dynamic filters can't affect the browser in terms of speed, I noticed that but I wanted a confirmation here in MT. Thank you again redsworn (y):emoji_beer:

For all AG users :

You will like it ;) Unfortunately not for UBO users :confused:

Filter list for AdGuard

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Great news for those using the Urlhaus block lists: the author has updated the URL-based lists to be fully compatible with the uBO format. They block more malicious URLs than the generic domain-based lists.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Great news for those using the Urlhaus block lists: the author has updated the URL-based lists to be fully compatible with the uBO format. They block more malicious URLs than the generic domain-based lists.

Great! This should be included in uBlock Origin soon and the current one's will be removed. There is a discussion on uBO github.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thank you @South Park and @Moonhorse (y)
New optimized filter lists:
Aantekening 2020-07-06 154041.png

All 5 uBlock built-in filters
1 Adblocking filter: AdGuard Base + EasyList (Optimized)
2 Privacy filters: Frogeye first party only trackers & EasyPrivacy (Optimized)
1 Malware filter: Online Malicious URL Blocklist (now built-in)
2 Annoyances filters: AdGuard Annoyances (Optimized) & AdGuard Social (Optimized)
1 All purposes filter: Peter Lowe (built-in)
1 Dutch filter: AdGuard Dutch (Optimized = the same as not optimized)

Websites for the filters:

EDIT: when you purge all caches and update the lists again.
The online malicious url list is now built-in as Malware domains.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
That's great news! waiting for update...
No need to wait.
When you purge all caches and update the lists again the new list gets added and the old lists deleted or if you had them ticked moved to custom and you can decide for yourself what to do with them. Keep or delete.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Few decent lists i just started using are

A very aggressive block list for tracking, geo-targeting, & ads. This list will likely break functionality, so do not use it unless you are willing to maintain your own whitelist. If you find something in this list that you think is a mistake, please open a ticket and we can discuss it. Keep in mind that this is an aggressive list. This list was last updated on July 06, 2020.

Google's Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) are taking over the web. Block AMP pages with this list. Since I use DuckDuckGo, this list is pretty sparse and suggestions are welcome! This list was last updated on July 06, 2020.

A hosts file to block all Facebook and Facebook related services, including Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp. This list was last updated on July 06, 2020.

Source: Hostfile blocklist for ads and tracking

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
If happen to be using the 'Unified hosts' host file from StevenBlack/hosts, than the now new uBlock Origin built-in 'Online Malicious URL Blocklist' is already integrated into your setup.

See the sources table in:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Finally settled on a filter list set.... for now :)

View attachment 249239

Edit: Initially uploaded incorrect list.. this is the correct one!
Keep in mind that Adguard Base works best for Adguard extension and EasyList for uBlock Origin. If you see ads/ad placeholder in any page then try loading that page with EasyList enabled.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Good point, I had read that somewhere previously but forgot :)

I'll scrap the Adguard variants for optimised Easylist/Fanboy ones.

View attachment 249249
Fanboy's Annoyance is great but can be a bit aggressive and blocks things that it shouldn't. Even the Optimized Annoyance filter. Eg: It blocks custom like buttons in a forum for me. Adguard Annoyance and Social filters are more forgiving, stable and usually problem free.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.