Advice Request Which cloud storage do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which cloud storage do you use?

• Dropbox

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • OneDrive

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Google

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • Amazon

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Jottacloud

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • MediaFire

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Box

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 28 29.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Amazon Drive. Unlimited storage at $60/year, plus Tresorit promotional account.

I used to have An Amazon Cloud subscription but I dropped it for it's very limited in terms of features when compared to other clouds. I have never heard of Tresorit

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I used to have An Amazon Cloud subscription but I dropped it for it's very limited in terms of features when compared to other clouds. I have never heard of Tresorit

Tresorit applies AES-256 client-side encryption to files and then uploads them to the cloud. It's a bit pricey. I have a 100GB account from beta-testing so cost isn't a big issue.

Yes, Amazon Cloud is pretty spartan and its sync feature is useless to me as it can only be configured to run on "C" drive. I encrypt all personal files prior to uploading (filename encryption as well in some cases).

FWIW, for most of my stuff I use a NAS (personal cloud).

No one has mentioned Zoolz. It's a real odd bird and has recently been offering a lifetime 2TB promotion (1TB on demand /1TB "frozen" storage). I've been tempted as it alleges pre-upload encryption, but I've read reviews where accounts have been pulled for DMCA violations. It puzzles me how one determines that encrypted files contain infringing content (connect the dots if you will). There are also numerous reports of "throttling" transfers, and little tech support. Just a word of caution. Lifetime offers can be problematic.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Dropbox is best for file versioning (Onedrive only does it for Office docs)
Dropbox will not overwrite your latest file version and give you an older version instead
Dropbox will always give you your latest file versions, even after you restored from a system image

Google Drive is terribly unreliable, I will never use it for anything important.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Tresorit applies AES-256 client-side encryption to files and then uploads them to the cloud. It's a bit pricey. I have a 100GB account from beta-testing so cost isn't a big issue.

Yes, Amazon Cloud is pretty spartan and its sync feature is useless to me as it can only be configured to run on "C" drive. I encrypt all personal files prior to uploading (filename encryption as well in some cases).

FWIW, for most of my stuff I use a NAS (personal cloud).

No one has mentioned Zoolz. It's a real odd bird and has recently been offering a lifetime 2TB promotion (1TB on demand /1TB "frozen" storage). I've been tempted as it alleges pre-upload encryption, but I've read reviews where accounts have been pulled for DMCA violations. It puzzles me how one determines that encrypted files contain infringing content (connect the dots if you will). There are also numerous reports of "throttling" transfers, and little tech support. Just a word of caution. Lifetime offers can be problematic.

I have done my research about Tresorit and I can say it seems to be really good! Thank you for your suggestion! I stopped using Amazon as it lacks many features. Zoolz offer many discounts and lifetime offers but, honestly, I cannot trust it! Anyway, have you ever tried Jottacloud?

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Dropbox is best for file versioning (Onedrive only does it for Office docs)
Dropbox will not overwrite your latest file version and give you an older version instead
Dropbox will always give you your latest file versions, even after you restored from a system image

Google Drive is terribly unreliable, I will never use it for anything important.

File versioning is really a good feature! What's wrong with Google Drive? Have you encountered any issues using it?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
File versioning is really a good feature! What's wrong with Google Drive? Have you encountered any issues using it?
For me, it overwrites Word files with the older version. Very frustrating.
If you share a folder with someone, it eats up the storage space of both people. (It also eats up your Gmail storage space)
A relative told me she lost all her pictures because something went wrong with Google Drive, although I can't verify that.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
1st Veracrypt then uploading to Mega! Problem solved. :)
I do not upload sensitive datas directly on cloud even if that is the most secured cloud storage in the world.

I'll try Veracrypt and see. Thank you for your suggestion

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
For me, it overwrites Word files with the older version. Very frustrating.
If you share a folder with someone, it eats up the storage space of both people. (It also eats up your Gmail storage space)
A relative told me she lost all her pictures because something went wrong with Google Drive, although I can't verify that.

For me I am very hesitant to use Google Drive; Google is very harsh towards my country and most of its services are limited in my country :(

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I have a question for those who use Dropbox, I have 50 GBs free that comes as a promotion with my smasung device, If I upgrade to Pro will I lose the 50 GB? Also If I downgrade my account will it be restored to 50 GB or just to the basic Dropbox account? Thank you in advance

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a question for those who use Dropbox, I have 50 GBs free that comes as a promotion with my smasung device, If I upgrade to Pro will I lose the 50 GB? Also If I downgrade my account will it be restored to 50 GB or just to the basic Dropbox account? Thank you in advance
If I was you, I would ask Dropbox support for their official answer, and then save the email, for proof.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I use MEGA and pCloud. pCloud added bandwith limits (50 GB for me) but I still use it because I've got 50 GB free from OneDrive promo.

My favorite one is MEGA, of course. They don't have any ads, speed limits and they have encryption. File downloads are really fast and it has nice and easy to use UI. :)

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
Great choices! I like Dropbox more! I feel One Drive a little bit buggy and sometimes you get slow upload speed
Maybe the upload speed varies between the countries we live in, actually I have a poor upload speed from my ISP, but the download speed from onedrive is always faster in my country. I read somewhere that dropbox only has servers in the US, not sure for OneDrive. Anyway I like them both. :D

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Maybe the upload speed varies between the countries we live in, actually I have a poor upload speed from my ISP, but the download speed from onedrive is always faster in my country. I read somewhere that dropbox only has servers in the US, not sure for OneDrive. Anyway I like them both. :D
Upload/download speed depends on distance between you and server. When you pay X Mb/s to your ISP, you're paying for constant speed to your ISP, not to some random server. For example, I have 100 Mb/s download and upload and this speed is guaranteed to my ISPs servers. ISP can't guarantee me that I'll have that speed to servers in USA or any other country.

Last edited:

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
If I was you, I would ask Dropbox support for their official answer, and then save the email, for proof.
You're 100% right!

I use MEGA and pCloud. pCloud added bandwith limits (50 GB for me) but I still use it because I've got 50 GB free from OneDrive promo.

My favorite one is MEGA, of course. They don't have any ads, speed limits and they have encryption. File downloads are really fast and it has nice and easy to use UI. :)

You can lifetime pCloud 500 GB for 60$ as I remember. Regarding Mega, I don't trust them and will never!

I like Dropbox more than One Drive; OneDrive web isn't flawless! I don't see any slowness neither in download speed nor in upload speed (Dropbox).

Upload/download speed depends on distance between you and server. When you pay X Mb/s to your ISP, you're paying for constant speed to your ISP, not to some random server. For example, I have 100 Mb/s download and upload and this speed is guaranteed to my ISPs servers. ISP can't guarantee me that I'll have that speed to servers in USA or any other country.

In my country we don't have such a speed :D you're lucky ;) Maximum speed is 50 Mb/s and the price is too high! Now I am on 8 Mb/s and upload is 100 KB/s

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I know but I have slow download/upload speed to pCloud (max. 1 MB/s, few months ago I could upload max. 5 MB/s, don't know what happened) while on MEGA I can download and upload at higher speeds (up to 12 MB/s). Any particular reason why you don't trust MEGA?

I have FTTH internet and it's actually not that expensive. I'm paying 23€ for FLAT internet and unlimited phone. :)

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I think that's it - https://www.transip.nl/stack/

Website is in Dutch so you won't understand much. I tried to translate it using Google Translate, Bing Translator and Yandex.Translate but neither of them succeeded because they can't translate HTTPS pages.

Go the above link, just use Dutch IP and put in your email address. After some days you will get an invite code. Create an account using the above link while using Dutch IP and put in Netherlands as you country. Use search engine find postal code etc. And in the end put in the code, after some time your 1 TB will be there.
I use translator addon in FF, it effectively translates the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.