Which default/deny solution wins, and why?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
please state why you made your choice. there is a bit of mystery surrounding some of these apps; let's put it on the table for all to see. Facts, not fables.

I deliberately left AppGuard off the list because it is in a class all by itself.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think disabling any command line or heur analysis, we are still safe coz of sandbox, right?
ah, now I understand your point.
well, command line protection is important for advanced "fileless" exploits.
It also helps as a second line of defense, in case you mistakenly trusted a malicious file

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Wise decision :D
AppGuard's class is Software Restriction Policy (for those who don't know).

now about the Poll , note than nobody can really tell about exploits because they are rarely seen, we can just theorize.

i tested several of them so for me the winners are :

1- ReHIPS
anti-exe: yes
anti-exploit: "yes" via isolation
dll protection: via isolation

2- Comodo

anti-exe: yes
anti-exploit: "yes" by HIPS or isolation
dll protection : yes by HIPS or isolation

Comodo is 2nd because its damn rules' bug and the use of kernel hooks.
i didn't tested KIS or Avast, ERP lack of dll & drivers protection. VS has no dll protection.

I recalled you did try SOB right, which is somehow enhanced DIY version of NVT ERP?

Anyway tried and tested most of them except ReHIPS. But none beats SRP and UAC/LUA from windows for it's simplicity without compromising the system performance.

D

Deleted member 178

I recalled you did try SOB right, which is somehow enhanced DIY version of NVT ERP?
yes it is ERP but better , im still wondering why NVT keep rebuilding ERP from scratch instaed of finishing SoB...

Anyway tried and tested most of them except ReHIPS. But none beats SRP and UAC/LUA from windows for it's simplicity without compromising the system performance.
Indeed.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
what's SOB and SRP.
Anyways, Voodooshield wins coz whenever u talk to the developer Mr.Dan, it always seems like he has used or is well aware of all the other competitions. AppGuard I hope they start LTL for all versions or else, no meaning to keep buying it yearly. Only hardcore people who love and support would do it. But we are seeing here from every simple + advanced user's point of view. So the support and knowledge and license offered by voodooshield is best. Other freewares are good, too, but they are free so they will always have some or the other limitations, if not in features, then in support.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
what's SOB and SRP.
Anyways, Voodooshield wins coz whenever u talk to the developer Mr.Dan, it always seems like he has used or is well aware of all the other competitions. AppGuard I hope they start LTL for all versions or else, no meaning to keep buying it yearly. Only hardcore people who love and support would do it. But we are seeing here from every simple + advanced user's point of view. So the support and knowledge and license offered by voodooshield is best. Other freewares are good, too, but they are free so they will always have some or the other limitations, if not in features, then in support.
I prefer a product that doesn't need constant support, over a product that provides constant support. Voodooshield still needs some development in order to work optimally on many systems.

D

Deleted member 178

what's SOB and SRP.
SRP : Software restriction Policy , like Appguard, Bouncer, etc...
SoB : it is NVT Smart Object Blocker , a better anti-exe than ERP.

Anyways, Voodooshield wins coz whenever u talk to the developer Mr.Dan, it always seems like he has used or is well aware of all the other competitions.

VS despite being a good soft is 'in my opinion) way too long on beta, he keeps adding features after features. wgich were not originally planned. it move from pure Anti-exe to anti-exe with remote sandbox to now anti-exe +Ai + remote sandbox...

AppGuard I hope they start LTL for all versions or else, no meaning to keep buying it yearly. Only hardcore people who love and support would do it

Don't expect it. AG main market is primarily Corporation/Government Agencies/Military; home users is a very very very small fraction of their userbase.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.