Advice Request Which DNS is the best ??

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Which DNS is the best for speed & security/privacy ? In browser dns over https option? Cloudflare / Google DNS / Quad9 / Next DNS ? Or any others??

I'm currently using Cloudflare in Google Chrome & Edge dns over https option...

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
For security like blocking malicious domains: Quad9 or NextDNS.
Browsing speed: Cloudflare or NextDNS. (Quad9 can be slower in certain regions in the world...)
All 3 mentioned DNS services are "okay" in terms of users privacy IMO

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Google also has deals to use EDNS client Subnet with privacy protections with a few CDNs that don’t normally allow for ECS. This leads to better geolocation of CDN content providing better performance, and part of why google DNS is hard coded in a lot of devices. Though usually the ISPs (at least the large ones) are best for this if you are purely worried about performance.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I prefer NextDNS for its dashboard, extensive optional lists, and low price ($19/year). That being said there is one feature ControlD has that I wish NextDNS would add. With ControlD users can block or allow certain services. Not so with NextDNS, where services can only be blocked. With ControlD they can also be allowed, regardless of filterlist. But my vote goes to NextDNS.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I prefer NextDNS for its dashboard, extensive optional lists, and low price ($19/year). That being said there is one feature ControlD has that I wish NextDNS would add. With ControlD users can block or allow certain services. Not so with NextDNS, where services can only be blocked. With ControlD they cal also be allowed, regardless of filterlist. But my vote goes to NextDNS.
Whitelisting on NextDNS is a bit of whack-a-mole. But it is a much better service for my location. Using ControlD my ISP routes me to Canada, which is pretty far from here, slowing everything down since I then get served CDNs much farther from me.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Whitelisting on NextDNS is a bit of whack-a-mole. But it is a much better service for my location. Using ControlD my ISP routes me to Canada, which is pretty far from here, slowing everything down since I then get served CDNs much farther from me.

Oh, same here! NextDNS routes me to a local city but with ControlD I was routed to New York, which is thousands of miles away from me!

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
NextDNS and it's not even close. It has all the security of Quad9 but the speed of Cloudflare and the granular controls of ControlD in case you want to whitelist or increase your security/privacy. What else is there to say? I highly highly recommend it.

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
NextDNS and it's not even close. It has all the security of Quad9 but the speed of Cloudflare and the granular controls of ControlD in case you want to whitelist or increase your security/privacy. What else is there to say? I highly highly recommend it.
You're forgetting the main feature of Control D: traffic redirection, which no other DNS provider offers (I'm not counting "Smart" DNS services that just unblock Netflix or Hulu).

Can you share some downsides of Control D in your opinion, except for lack of Analytics, which is coming by end of the month?

Reactions: anirbandutta01

v4npro

Apr 20, 2019
anyone tried new Adguard DNS Private one?
I've been using AdGuard as my primary DNS for over 3 years now(filtered and unfiltered) and I haven't experienced anything negative. They recently increased their request limit from 3M to 10M which helped me for my all devices. The one issue I did have was with Comcast XFI protection blocking access to AdGuard services which in turn made me disable that feature. Not sure if they fixed it or not, Comcast is just terrible anyway.

Reactions: anirbandutta01

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.