Battle Which DNS would you choose for Security and Content blocking?

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Norton ConnectSafe( 199.85.126.20 or 199.85.127.20 ) or Yandex Safe( 77.88.8.88 or 77.88.8.2 ) Depending upon which server is closer to your location and your internet speed resolve times may vary.I would recommend DnsJumper(small,portable utility) for on-the-fly DNS changes(device-only) and default DNS backup.It can save you some trouble from digging inside the windows settings everytime.However, if you use a router changing the dns settings(require login credentials and manual configuration) would change it for all of your devices being routed from there.
OpenDNS is another option involving logging into an online portal.

Last edited:

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Id like to use a secure dns I am currently testing CIS so I'm using comodo's but I can change it on the fly no matter what and like you umbra I am looking for a secure dns that is more for anonymity and secure data traffic vs malware protection. I'd like to start a thread about whats the best paid and free vpn's using openvpn? Unless there probably already is one.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Opendns for general use, Norton for mainly malware.

As others said depending how far are you from the dns servers consider one or another or even default.

I have Norton in one system and opendns in two systems. They are both good. Comodo was too slow for me a few years back and didn't really protect much in terms of malware links when I did the video back then.

Fools dns free offers way less than openvpn and Norton. One option in openvpn is ability to black list domains. Foolsvpn free version does not support such feature

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Norton and Comodo are your best options, never heard of the others...
OpenDNS is one of the Giants in the DNS field, way more mature than Comodo.

FoolDNS is I believe Italian and due to its free version limitations, is often used on mobile devices instead. Also it at least used to block some ads (which is why many used in mobile devices unrooted android for example).

Other honorable mentions: Swiss Privacy Foundation. Chaos Computer Club. But research first about these ones as they are not fully dedicated to malware for example.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.