Which DNS for Malware and Content blocking?

• Total voters

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
I'd never heard of Adguard until I read the recent posts here , so I added it to my custom list in DNS Jumper.

I am seeing resolve times of 67 to 77 mS with Adguard , and for comparison , 16 to 24 mS with Open DNS.
In fairness I should check Google on 8.8.8.8 [ even though I try to keep them out of my life :) ]
.... it is steady at 27 mS

So Adguard is not too swift ( not at this location , anyway ) , but then it is doing some active blocking /filtering ,
so maybe that is the trade-off.

Evjl's Rain

Level 40
Content Creator
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Verified
I'd never heard of Adguard until I read the recent posts here , so I added it to my custom list in DNS Jumper.

I am seeing resolve times of 67 to 77 mS with Adguard , and for comparison , 16 to 24 mS with Open DNS.
In fairness I should check Google on 8.8.8.8 [ even though I try to keep them out of my life :) ]
.... it is steady at 27 mS

So Adguard is not too swift ( not at this location , anyway ) , but then it is doing some active blocking /filtering ,
so maybe that is the trade-off.
adguard DNS is still in beta and it doesnt have a lot of servers like other DNS providers so it must be slower. However, it's ad fitering works very well. Still faster than AlternateDNS. Highly recommended

Tempnexus

Level 3
how do I add the choices? I can't seem to change it.

Also, not to be racist or anything but with the new Russian ruling regarding retaining all traffic files for at least 1 year is it wise to use AdGuard DNS or even AdGuard?

Last edited:

giulia

Level 5
hi
i voted opend dns , what do you think that dns can really block malware?
i mean norton or comodo dns are enough to block any threats
once i wanted to give to them a try , they haven't block anything :(

adguard dns are beta but seem very good , at least better then the dns poll
just my poor opinion about dns
thanks

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Norton DNS here, but i really like Yandex. I have serious doubts about staying with Norton or changing. I do not know why Yandex products are not widely used. I love its browser and the tests that I'm doing to its DNS are also widely satisfactory

Tairan

Level 3
I also use Norton DNS. It's fast, secure, and does my family's inappropriate content filtering.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
I use norton in my desktop for security but I don't like one thing : if it block something , you can visit it , even if you click on " I want to see it anyway " . I reported this to norton and they only said " if you think it is a false positive , you can report it ".

This happened with a giveaway websites and panopreter.com if I remember well

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
I regularly had problems with Google's DNS, so not going back there.

I used Norton years ago but had some issues with it; that was a long time ago, however. I almost went back to it except...

I've been using Open DNS for a couple of months and it's been great. It's blocked a few adware domains. It's dashboard and stats are hard to beat.

That DNS Jumper program is a neat must-have. Great for troubleshooting and for my laptop.