Battle Which DNS would you choose for Security and Content blocking?

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I'd never heard of Adguard until I read the recent posts here , so I added it to my custom list in DNS Jumper.

I am seeing resolve times of 67 to 77 mS with Adguard , and for comparison , 16 to 24 mS with Open DNS.
In fairness I should check Google on 8.8.8.8 [ even though I try to keep them out of my life :) ]
.... it is steady at 27 mS

So Adguard is not too swift ( not at this location , anyway ) , but then it is doing some active blocking /filtering ,
so maybe that is the trade-off.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'd never heard of Adguard until I read the recent posts here , so I added it to my custom list in DNS Jumper.

I am seeing resolve times of 67 to 77 mS with Adguard , and for comparison , 16 to 24 mS with Open DNS.
In fairness I should check Google on 8.8.8.8 [ even though I try to keep them out of my life :) ]
.... it is steady at 27 mS

So Adguard is not too swift ( not at this location , anyway ) , but then it is doing some active blocking /filtering ,
so maybe that is the trade-off.
adguard DNS is still in beta and it doesnt have a lot of servers like other DNS providers so it must be slower. However, it's ad fitering works very well. Still faster than AlternateDNS. Highly recommended

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
how do I add the choices? I can't seem to change it.

Also, not to be racist or anything but with the new Russian ruling regarding retaining all traffic files for at least 1 year is it wise to use AdGuard DNS or even AdGuard?

Last edited:

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i voted opend dns , what do you think that dns can really block malware?
i mean norton or comodo dns are enough to block any threats
once i wanted to give to them a try , they haven't block anything :(

adguard dns are beta but seem very good , at least better then the dns poll
just my poor opinion about dns
thanks

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
I use norton in my desktop for security but I don't like one thing : if it block something , you can visit it , even if you click on " I want to see it anyway " . I reported this to norton and they only said " if you think it is a false positive , you can report it ".

This happened with a giveaway websites and panopreter.com if I remember well

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I regularly had problems with Google's DNS, so not going back there.

I used Norton years ago but had some issues with it; that was a long time ago, however. I almost went back to it except...

I've been using Open DNS for a couple of months and it's been great. It's blocked a few adware domains. It's dashboard and stats are hard to beat.

That DNS Jumper program is a neat must-have. Great for troubleshooting and for my laptop.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.