Advice Request Which Extension is best for security ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

EascapenMatrix

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2022
I tried BD trafficlight, emisoft and malwarebytes browser guard. I liked BD, emisoft but malwarebytes was slowing my browsing too much. After few trials and errors, I ended up with BD, and I was quite satisfied with that forgetting about the privacy issues that come with it.

But recently I found many places on some corners of the web and even here, that it now lost its charm. I tested only against phishing against phishtank links. And this time BD missed a lot. Followed by Emisoft and Malwarebytes which was best in this regard.

Now, I want to know your opinion. Which is the best extension against malware and phishing protection? I am ready to know about other extensions which are as good or better than these three.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I tried BD trafficlight, emisoft and malwarebytes browser guard. I liked BD, emisoft but malwarebytes was slowing my browsing too much. After few trials and errors, I ended up with BD, and I was quite satisfied with that forgetting about the privacy issues that come with it.

But recently I found many places on some corners of the web and even here, that it now lost its charm. I tested only against phishing against phishtank links. And this time BD missed a lot. Followed by Emisoft and Malwarebytes which was best in this regard.

Now, I want to know your opinion. Which is the best extension against malware and phishing protection? I am ready to know about other extensions which are as good or better than these three.
My personal ranking based on protection effectiveness and browsing speed impact:

1st. Bitdefender Trafficlight
2nd. Avira Browser Safety
3rd place for both below:
  • Malwarebytes Browser Guard (highest impact on browsing speed).
  • Emsisoft Browser Security (lowest impact on browsing speed).

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
All the ones mentioned by you and other users are very good. In my testing, Norton Safe Web performs the best at blocking both malware and phishing sites. It's often one of the first to block. I also like McAfee Safe Web. Both of them don't have any browsing speed impact similar to Emsisoft, but Norton consumes a lot of ram. 100 MB on my PC.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The most extensive thread on that topic here on MT, and long time tested by @Evjl's Rain and a few others is what I would recommend check out, even if his last posted test is from last year.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
CRAEN (Cruelsister's Remove All Extensions Now). Still in development as I haven't decided on which spy module to weave within it.
Minimal is the best way to go so just uBO in tweaked Hard-Mode working fine. I'd go down the DNS route but it'd have to be DOH as my ISP Sky ignores PC config through it's router. Was a big fan of NoScript until I discovered uBO's capability ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

In the past I used Netcraft extension, because long ago on WS it was the only one extension besides NoScript which intercepted a cross site scripting attack (XSS). Netcraft is not that well known in the consumer market, but in the corporate security market they have an impressive track record . This page describes what Netcraft company does in relation to cybercrime prevention, detection and retaliation https://www.netcraft.com/cybercrime/

Netcraft seems to have some repeat business model in relation to webservers, which allows them to conduct surveys on over 1.1 billion websites each month. So the data collection to detect frauduleus websites probably has the same impressive outreach (URL filtering is a numbers game, only companies with a lot of data point points sensors like leading AV's, webbrowsers, DNS services and server/router based security hardware/software can collect this info).

Reason I stopped using Netcraft is that they tell on their website that their info is used by al major webbrowsers
1671696963861.png
So question to @HarborFront and others using Netcraft: have you seen it popup latelly?

By the way @Jack nice idea (100 points) (y)

I am using Edge with Smartscreen and NextDNS with Google Safe Browsing and Trend Micro's URL filter of TP-Link home care on my router. No extensions for URL filtering
I removed Trend Micros URL filtering in the router because it did not intercept HTTPS URL requests and replaced it with TrafficLight extension of bitdefender.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.