Battle Which is the best free antivirus for Android?

D

Deleted member 178

i remove Avast avast from the best security app for android; new version is a shame:

- cartoon like UI
- firewall removed !
- ads for their side apps in main page of UI .

now AMS is just like the dozen other apps, nothing special; destined to become anonymous.

i ditched the AV because it was average , so do i for the mobile version.

bye bye Avast.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
i remove Avast avast from the best security app for android; new version is a shame:

- cartoon like UI
- firewall removed !
- ads for their side apps in main page of UI .

now AMS is just like the dozen other apps, nothing special; destined to become anonymous.

i ditched the AV because it was average , so do i for the mobile version.

bye bye Avast.

Does your phone have built-in security app?
Mine for e.g. have a built-in one from Xiaomi.
It's a AVL and Tencent engine combo.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I would like to understand why people add AV security in non rooted phones in Android.
Could someone provide some valid reasons behind?
Reason being: I do not believe it is needed, but would like to understand reasons why people actually use it.
Is it because general consensus? Is it because your browsing habits? Or is it because you think its worth compromising performance over a "false sense" of security?

Note: it is a valid post, not being sarcastic.

D

Deleted member 178

I would like to understand why people add AV security in non rooted phones in Android.
Reason being: I do not believe it is needed, but would like to understand reasons why people actually use it.
Is it because general consensus? Is it because your browsing habits? Or is it because you think its worth compromising performance over a "false sense" of security?

because they get abused by marketing tricks?

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015

I use it, because the phone comes with AV itself (somehow the OS have this security app). So why not? :D
Anyway, I make use of my phone privacy and applock feature more rather than AV.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I use it, because the phone comes with AV itself (somehow the OS have this security app). So why not? :D
Anyway, I make use of my phone privacy and applock feature more rather than AV.
Am referring to users who actively install such products, not the ones that come by default preloaded in a custom rom, like yours. :)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Am referring to users who actively install such products, not the ones that come by default preloaded in a custom rom, like yours. :)

Actually I'm also a (-ex) victim of those security company scareware tactics. :(
Installed and trialed almost all top mobile security and unfortunately they're all battery hunger.
The features they offer are in fact what I already have (just that I did not realise it in the beginning).

Probably what I can advise is don't add in any mobile security first. Check your phone if they already have preloaded with such features inside.
E.g. Anti-theft, applock, permission manager, guest mode, hidden folders, private msging. etc...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Although I do not install apps outside the Google Play Store, and only use what I need, so that minimises the risks dramatically. I have an Antivirus app on my Android Phone, but not my Android Tablet. Reason: Mobile Banking.

My Other Theory: As with any "Smart-dumb-phone", so are the users. ;)

I use Bitdefender Free for Android. No bloatware. No Device Administrator requests. No Ads. Except an Internet Connection is required.
BitDefender Free is basically a cloud based minimalist anti virus only software [...] Whenever an app is installed it get scanned in the cloud its as simple as that ;)
Edit: Switched to Zemana Antimalware for Android.

Last edited:

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Currently using Lookout Security & Antivirus on both my phone and tablet. Light and unobtrusive. Some apps might offer more features but at least Lookout doesn't constantly annoy you with alerts about installing their other apps.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Honestly don't even use an antivirus for Android. Haven't done so for nearly over a year. I only install apps that have high above normal rep and positive comments and I have the option ticked to not download apps from un-knowns sources. BUT if I was to recommend a free one Avast, paid one Trend Micro (as per normal :D)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.