Battle Which is the better Adblocker: Desktop Software or Browser Extension?

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I use the Adguard extension for more than 3 years now and I'm very happy with it. It is light and blocks everything it needs to block. It also has some protection against bad/malicious websites. I use the extension, since I don't need the desktop version. I used Adblock plus in the past, but I liked Adguard much more. µblock is also a good alternative, but after trying much adblocking extensions. I always return back to Adguard.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you use Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome, they all provide protection against malicious download on top of Phishing protection.

I recommend Adguard if you have a valid licence. I use the browser version on Chrome on Windows and Safari on OS X.

AdMuncher isn't that good.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
AdGuard hands down.
Its system wide and works with most browsers, more added regularly
the things you can customize in the software are amazing.
Won't use any other and I have used them all.
All the Advanced PC users in my circles use it.
PeAcE

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
uBlock Origin:
- It's open source and does not require installation;
- It also allows you to select specific elements on a website and manually block them;
- It has an advanced feature that dynamically finds and blocks elements that are being loaded on your browser. You can pick which scripts you want to allow or block (similar to NoScript);
- Lets you ad more HOST files to block ads;
- Low memory usage.
- Protects against malware and riskware (including low risk websites).
- Protects against hyperlink auditing/beacon and WebRTC IP leaks.

I think that uBlock is way better then AdGuard.

D

Deleted member 2913

You should definitely definitely definitely use uBlock Origin so you can give me your Adguard lifetime lic:):D

My vote Adguard Desktop.
Central management for all browsers & apps & many browsers & apps supported.
Easy to add apps, filters, etc...
Other good protection included.

I use Adguard Desktop With Eset Smart Security 9.
HTTPS disabled in Eset & HTTPS & WFP network driver & Do not filter websites with EV certificates enabled in Adguard.

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
The Stealth Mode in AdGuard is pretty awesome, and it provides the added benefit of making tweaks run at network level (which will cover all used browsers)... as opposed to browser extensions which run at software level. The only downside with AdGuard is it requires .NET Framework to run.

Adding Request Policy Continued to the browser will improve your experience as well.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Better stick with Adguard because you have a lifetime license. My reasoning might not be good enough, but at least you should take advantage of that license. Although, of course, you may use other adblockers, since Adguard is just there waiting forever. :D

Then, you should be cautious in using Adguard because it might conflict with other security software. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Reethu

Level 1
Verified
Oct 15, 2014
As far as free goes, AdFender is the best standalone adblocker software in my opinion.

Features:
Blocks all types of ads
Blocks malvertisements
Blocks online trackers
Browse anonymously
Speeds up web browsing
Protects online privacy
Removes profiling cookies

Platforms:
Windows 10
Windows 8.1
Windows 8
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Windows XP (SP3)

Browsers:
Chrome
Firefox
Microsoft Edge
Internet Explorer
Opera...

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
As mentioned above,:rolleyes: a large number of us have had noteworthy experiences, some using Adguard while others uBlock Origin.
We have been very pleased having used uBlock Origin in our home having installed it on each of our browsers; and yet, having recently re-discovered the ease & efficiency of using Adguard's extension specifically on Chromium sourced browsers (both Slimjet & Vivaldi) I do agree with suggestions encouraging comparing for yourself in order to reach a determination.
Personally, and after hearing the shining testimonials here for the licensed Adguard, I shall continue making use of uBlock Origin on our Firefox & SeaMonkey browsers, but I shall also hunt for the license we have set aside for Adguard because rather than determining which is better based upon the discoveries of others, I too would like to test these superior options myself in order to decide based upon retrospective & wise experience!;) :)

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
there are 2 reasons why I don't use adguard:
1/ it uses more ram than ublock and feels a bit slower
2/ I have to disable kaspersky https scanning to make adguard work with https. This will decrease the security of KIS
3 (optional)/ I dont need a system wide adblocker, I dont want all my connections to be scanned and monitored all the time. I rather add a few lines to hosts file to block most common ad servers. Moreover, I added some rules from adguard to my ublock so it would catch 95% of ads and spywares compared to adguard

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.