Battle Which is the better Adblocker: Desktop Software or Browser Extension?

vertigo

Level 2
Verified
Mar 18, 2018
Correct me if I am wrong but using Adguard desktop means less browser extensions to do what it does, and less extensions means a more generic browser fingerprint and a more generic fingerprint would be better for privacy making Adguard desktop the better choice.

I'm about 98% sure that extensions have nothing to do with browser fingerprinting. Everything I've seen indicates plugins do but extensions don't. So this wouldn't (unless I'm wrong) make a difference. And if it did, anybody that's enough of a power user to be using Adguard or uBO would likely be running other extensions for security and privacy, and then using those and not an ad blocker would only make them stand out from the crowd even more. I've come to the conclusion trying to resist fingerprinting is nearly pointless, since there are so many factors and it's hard to control all of them, and even if you do it's hard to make yourself not unique enough you can still be identified. Firefox's privacy.resistFingerprinting preference is the best bet, but it's also not perfect, and I personally don't use it (yet). If you really want to maintain anonymity, a VPN and/or Tor (TBB) are your only real options, and a VM can help some as well, though it only serves to anonymize your computer, not your connection. So it depends what your threat level is and how much you need privacy.

Snickers102

Level 1
Verified
Jul 5, 2018
Don't use your real name or real address when you're browsing. They may know exactly everything you do at every second from your day, doesn't matter if they don't know who you are or where you live. Use a VM on another PC for when you need to do something that requires using your real name/address, and after each time wipe the VM clean, change VPN location etc. Since it's a different PC, internet etc. from your daily browsing, they shouldn't be able to relate the two identities (the guy whom we have information on and fingerprints but don't know his real name/address, and the guy whose real name and/or address we know but don't have any information on since he uses that PC only briefly when he needs to do something important)

Problem solved

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I'm about 98% sure that extensions have nothing to do with browser fingerprinting. Everything I've seen indicates plugins do but extensions don't. So this wouldn't (unless I'm wrong) make a difference. And if it did, anybody that's enough of a power user to be using Adguard or uBO would likely be running other extensions for security and privacy, and then using those and not an ad blocker would only make them stand out from the crowd even more. I've come to the conclusion trying to resist fingerprinting is nearly pointless, since there are so many factors and it's hard to control all of them, and even if you do it's hard to make yourself not unique enough you can still be identified. Firefox's privacy.resistFingerprinting preference is the best bet, but it's also not perfect, and I personally don't use it (yet). If you really want to maintain anonymity, a VPN and/or Tor (TBB) are your only real options, and a VM can help some as well, though it only serves to anonymize your computer, not your connection. So it depends what your threat level is and how much you need privacy.

Perhaps but that is no reason to make it any easier for them, it they are going to track you at least make them earn it.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I use uBlock Origin with lots of filters and NoScript. Around a fourth of the time for new sites that I visit, I have to configure either (usually the latter) to allow one site or another, usually to allow videos, photos, or images such as graphs to appear, or use the "block element" feature on page popups.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Voted Adguard for Windows and using the DNS service as an alternate. This is now the sole add-on for Edge.old and Edge.dev (amended my security config accordingly). It's also flexible--I've imported one filter already and am contemplating another. For sake of completion, Adguard merged the free standalone extension with the desktop. 🐶 & 🦋

Very nice software, glad I have it.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
I loled so hard... It is a comparison m8 not a discussion about lists. ;) If you want to open a topic, we can talk about it. :)

sincerely
Val.

If any member of MT, who has been a member of the forum for longer than me, opens a 3D, my interventions will not be missing.(y)

I recently joined the forum and I wouldn't want to sound too intrusive.

And then you guys certainly know how to move better than I do in this environment.;):)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.