Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Linux rules the world. Where to next?;
SOURCE: zdnet.com (ARTICLE DATE: 23rd Aug 2016)

At LinuxCon, Jim Zemlin, the Linux Foundation's executive director, said "Linux has gone far beyond what anyone could have expected" and that it's been the "most successful software project in history." He's right....

The latest Linux kernel report, Linux kernel development - How fast it is going, who is doing it, what they are doing, and who is sponsoring it, details just how quickly Linux changes. In the last 15 months, more than 3 million lines of code have been added to the Linux kernel. For those of you coding at home, that's 7.8 changes per hour.

Since the 3.18 release on December 7, 2014, just under 115,000 changesets have been merged from 5,062 individual developers representing nearly 500 corporations. The top developers work for, in this order, Intel, Red Hat, Linaro, Samsung, and SUSE. Thousands of developers still work on Linux independently of large corporations.

In the last year and a half, there have been many significant Linux improvements. These include:

• Live patching support.
    • Persistent-memory device support.
    • Encrypted storage for the ext4 filesystem.
    • Numerous networking enhancements with a focus on IPv6 and datacenter improvements.
Linux developers have also turned their attention to improving Linux's security. Support has been added for numerous hardware-based security features. These include Intel's memory protection extensions and memory protection keys, and ARM's privileged execute-never mechanism...
[To read the full article please visit the link at the top of the page]
MT Members: Which Operating System(s) do you use?..
, and what do you consider to be the advantages & disadvantages?
SEE ALSO-
POLL: Which of these Windows Operating Systems have you used?

Last edited by a moderator:

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I use Windows 10, I have tried several Linux distros over the past few years but I always run into something that's not working properly and return to Windows. I would use Linux on a secondary machine but I can't use it for my main production because of this. I do love the customization of Linux, and how light it is compared to Windows, but there is a reason that Windows still rules, if a free OS worked as well as Windows it would take over but that simply hasn't happened, be it because hardware and software manufacturers don't support Linux or Linux devs just can't keep up. How I wish this wasn't so.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thank you for the replies so far...:)
Like some other MT members I am very Interested in using Linux, but my knowledge of it is zero :oops:..
Perhaps those members here that use Linux can share their knowledge & experience on this thread..
Where should those Interested in Linux begin?
What Linux Distros do you recommend and why?

To any members with questions about Linux...Please feel free to use this thread :)

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Thank you for the replies so far...:)
Like some other MT members I am very Interested in using Linux, but my knowledge of it is zero :oops:..
Perhaps those members here that use Linux can share their knowledge & experience on this thread..
Where should those Interested in Linux begin?
What Linux Distros do you recommend and why?

To any members with questions about Linux...Please feel free to use this thread :)
The easiest way to start, and a great thing about Linux, is you can run it from a usb drive without having to install. This gives you an oppurtunity look around a particular distro and decide if it's worth an install. Here's a place to check out and download different Linux distros. DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I'm running windows on my systems. But for few months i also had (many years ago on test machines / borrowed hardware): Sun Solaris, UNIX, OS/2 warp.

thanks @juhful ! ....nice link Also want to take a look at Linux. I think i'll try a "live LINUX DVD". ....fastest way to use Linux:
download iso, burn and boot the live DVD.....

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
the linux distros recommended to people familiar with a windows environment are
mint cinnamon
xubuntu

I have used both, and both are pretty likable, actually.
both are ubuntu-based

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I've been using Windows as main OS, since my first PC (With a Linux partition for programming for years - at school we were only programming under Linux - but removed)

NOSTALGIA ON
I always found that linux OS was nice to have a most personalized OS, but required from user a more personal investment.
For years it was a good OS for people who likes to have more control on their system (what is really installed for example), for server, etc...
The UI part was often a problem, a lot of work on shell command, and the number of app available was small.
Using Windows was, for a lot of people, like using a landline phone (the very old ones), without the need of be aware of the technical part.
Linux was requiring more the user to investigate "technical" part (another comparaison, a driver <=> a mechanic)
NOSTALGIA OFF

A Long Way Gone :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.