Battle Which Password Manager is the best?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Bit Warden, not even on your list so I selected other. Bit Warden was developed by a team that was tired of Lastpass increasing in price and having constant security issues.

Bit Warden doesn't use AWS, it uses a secured Azure environment. It's opensource so anyone can vet the code. It autofills at least as good if not better than any other product and is free. Lastpass I wouldn't recommend for (many) reasons. 1Password is expensive, has had security issues and is not only hosted on AWS but uses AWS Cryptos, largely considered backdoored by US Intel. Dashlane works good, but is expensive, sends massive amounts of logs to Ireland, and uses AWS.

Free Open Source Password Manager | bitwarden

1. bitwarden is 100% open source software. All of our source code is hosted on GitHub and is free for anyone to review. Hundreds of software developers follow bitwarden’s source code projects (and you can too!).
  2. We do not store your passwords. We store encrypted versions of your passwords that only you can unlock. Your sensitive information is all encrypted locally on your personal device before ever being sent to our cloud servers.
  3. bitwarden has a reputation. bitwarden is used by thousands of people. If we did anything questionable or risky we would be out of business.
Still don’t trust us? You don’t have to. Open source is beautiful. You can easily host the entire bitwarden stack yourself. You control your data. Learn more here.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I think that Sticky Password is pretty good.

It gives the option to synchronise passwords between devices using your home WiFi rather than using the cloud. You only need to do this once, or each time you add a new password. In my view, this is much more secure as you can choose to never upload your passwords into the cloud.

I dont think that the better known password managers (1Password, LastPass, Dashlane) have this feature ?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Does Bitwarden have the following capabilities: fill web forms, have actionable password strength report, browser menu of logins, store information for application passwords, and does it have secure password sharing?

The application password configuration is I'm most interested in. Do you happen know know any information about this @ForgottenSeer 58943 ?

I'm currently using Sticky Password Premium and was a former user of RoboForm (I was a user for many many years, but I'm no longer using it).

Thanks,

Brian

T

TrinitronMSDOS

In my opinion there are many trustworthy and good password managers out there, each with their own ups and downs and unique features. I've tried a few of them and here's my opinion:

- Bitwarden: one of the newest, but is often highly regarded as one of the most promising PW. They are open-source, cloud based and are really dedicated to their clients, which is why there are so many tech savvy and IT guys supporting them.
- Keepass: the most popular local based open-source PM. Requires more learning curve than the others. Probably the PM that gives you the most control over what you can do. Stores the passwords locally but have many add-ons that lets you chose your own storage as well as other possibilities.
- LastPass: the most popular PM, fully cloud and browser based with a good free version. Probably the PM that supports the most platforms.
- 1password: the most Apple friendly PM (even though they have improved their PC/Android versions lately). Has a unique encryption feature that adds a long unique key in addition to the email and master password, supposedly increasing the encryption level.
- Dashlane: probably one of the easiest one to use and very good on most platforms. Very expensive compared to others. They use Amazon servers which are known for being reliable and safe. The service is store locally and synced to the cloud, but you have the ability to disable syncing whenever you want, and by doing so it totally erases any data stored on their server.
- Sticky Password: an good straight to the point password manager, with an slightly outdated UI, and focused on features that matters the most. They offer the possibility of using your own wifi network to sync your passwords, bringing you the advantage of the cloud and the safety of a locally stored data.
- Roboform: probably one of the oldest of the bunch, they made great efforts in improving with version 8 and are now using both local or cloud storage. They are one of the only PM that can fill out passwords in Windows applications.
- Keeper: a very secure password manager with a very basic user interface and little fonctions. Is browser based but also offers a desktop version that can fill up Windows applications.
- Enpass: relatively new in the field, they offer a lot of fonctions on a lot of platforms. Their pricing is based on a one time fee.
- McAfee True Key: fairly new as well, but offers a decent service. Is especially easy to use, but still lacks a few features.

There are of course many other password managers such as Password Boss, LogMeOnce, Zoho Vault as well as the ones included in Security Suites (Kaspersky, Eset, Norton, etc...).

Seeing how much i wrote on the subject already, i will start a new topic tonight or tomorrow with a complete review and comparative of most password managers.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.