Battle which security suite is the most user friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
which security suite is the most user friendly with good detection and removal rates out of all the latest suites

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Comodo's UI and reconfigurability is like mixing oil and water.

Edit: Downloading the C7RC to test usability.

Last edited:

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
atm im using eset 7 when i look at the options it makes me think i have to be a professor type guy to understand it like theres menus like hueristics protocol filtering SSL certificates and even when i click on there help website they explain it like you should have a masters in IT

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I think we should also define what is techie-user-friendly and what is average-user-friendly. Comodo is easy enough to use if you know your way around the concepts, but it is definitely not very easy for the average user. Real-world example: the desktop app of Copy.com couldn't update because Comodo's sandbox prevented it, since it didn't recognize the newly-downloaded updater as safe. In other words, any legitimate process that invokes a program unknown to Comodo (and that may range from the batch file customized with your video processing options called up by your video converter, your cloud storage option, etc etc) will have a high chance of failure. Some things just won't work as they should.

Having said that, on the other hand, if you install it for an average user who uses only apps from known companies (known and trusted by Comodo, that is, and they aren't few), then this shouldn't be a frequent problem.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
yeah i want to replace eset with another suite but im still unsure which the things it needs to have is

1. not bloat my pc so its must be fairy lightweight

2. be user friendly

3. have good detectection and removal

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Well, that's normal for all AVs, that's why they let you restore quarantined files.
Normal is one thing, FPs are a fact of life, ok. But too many FPs is not normal. For an average user, restoring a file from quarantine can be an adventure. Not all AVs have the same level of FPs, and BD was having a few too many that time I tested it.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Trend Micro internet security 2014 . Very user friendly. Takes all the decision itself. Even proactive protection does a very good work without asking user.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Unfortunately most security suites are not user-friendly, they require manual tweaking to allow programs to work correctly, tend to block safe programs (false positives) and run heavier than just using a stand-alone AV with Windows Firewall.

User-friendly setups included any of the following with Windows Firewall and UAC.
1. MSE or Windows Defender (on Windows 8/8.1)
2. Avast Free
3. Avira Free
4. Panda Cloud
5. Immunet FREE Antivirus
6. ESET AV
7. AVG Free
Just remember any AV with the highest detection rate according to AV tests tend to not be user friendly because they detect too many false positives. Most users do not know how to tell the difference between real malware and false positives. AV's with advanced detection features like HIPS are never user-friendly since they require too much manual maintenance.

BitDefender for example is far from being user-friendly since the false positive rate is way too high. Most other AV's that use the BitDefender engine are also not user-friendly. This also applies to AV's that use multiple engines.

MSE or Windows Defender (on Windows 8/8.1) is the most user-friendly security product.

Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.