All plus more. End up being Windows 11 Skeletal Edition hehe
Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
After installation, open the app and sign in. Enable push notifications in Preferences if you want alerts. On iPhone and iPad, push requires a Home Screen web app and iOS or iPadOS 16.4 or later.
Sign in to manage notificationsInstallation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
W 11 coreAll plus more. End up being Windows 11 Skeletal Edition hehe
Disabling some services reduce the attack surface area; this does not include services such as sysmain or Windows search.Again you really don't need to do this anymore, disable services in 2025? Are we still stuck in XP/7 days where security was rubbish? Print Spooler bugs are rare and so 2008 era. You don't need to disable Bluetooth you can do that in Windows Settings. The rest meh, doesn't bother me. I just don't see the need to do this anymore.
Sometimes, I feel AI just does not want to let you down, finding any reason to support my theoryThe risky services are in points 1-5.
Other services are usually unnecessary at home. Some of them can be possibly abused by the attackers.
For example, I asked ChatGPT: "Can the Program Compatibility Assistant Service be abused?"
I have been disabling these services since 2016 and since I used Windows 7 to save write operations on my SSD. I still have an SSD that is 96% healthy and has been in use for over 8 years. I don't know if it's because of these services that I disable, I just know that I always do this on computers that I use SSD.services such as sysmain or Windows search.
I was disabling sysmain and windows search specifically for SSD writes, but I have read their writes are very small and will not negatively affect SSD.I have been disabling these services since 2016 and since I used Windows 7 to save write operations on my SSD. I still have an SSD that is 96% healthy and has been in use for over 8 years. I don't know if it's because of these services that I disable, I just know that I always do this on computers that I use SSD.![]()
Me, too.Connected user experiences & telemetry.
Geolocation.
Print spooler.
Remote access connection manager.
I learned it the hard way; faced the same situation.Many YouTubers or website authors aren't experts. Some copy from others and post outdated information. Be cautious when disabling services; a few may affect multiple OS features. I previously disabled the Microsoft Account Assistant service to stop sign-in prompts. Now, it blocks installing apps from the Microsoft Store with "The issue is with us; try later" error.
It's true, disabling too many services makes the operating system unstable. I am aware of these side effects, but some people may not know about them.Be cautious when disabling services; a few may affect multiple OS feature
The same thing happens to me when I try to install an app from the Microsoft Store; I get an error when trying to download it. But in my case, it wasn't because I disabled a service. Mine is already blocked by the firewall. I block a lot of things in the firewall, even svchost, and I set rules for it. I'm pretty extreme about this kind of thing, hardcore style, you could say. I don't worry too much about apps because I don't install as many apps as I used to, both in and outside the store. Just Edge, Brave, Chrome, Hard Configurator, Windows Hybrid Hardening Light, and my password manager, nothing else. Many will be surprised to hear that I no longer use Office. When I used it, it was the first thing I installed. Today, I don't even bother with Office.Now, it blocks installing apps from the Microsoft Store with "The issue is with us; try later" error.
Do not you need a media player?It's true, disabling too many services makes the operating system unstable. I am aware of these side effects, but some people may not know about them.
The same thing happens to me when I try to install an app from the Microsoft Store; I get an error when trying to download it. But in my case, it wasn't because I disabled a service. Mine is already blocked by the firewall. I block a lot of things in the firewall, even svchost, and I set rules for it. I'm pretty extreme about this kind of thing, hardcore style, you could say. I don't worry too much about apps because I don't install as many apps as I used to, both in and outside the store. Just Edge, Brave, Chrome, Hard Configurator, Windows Hybrid Hardening Light, and my password manager, nothing else. Many will be surprised to hear that I no longer use Office. When I used it, it was the first thing I installed. Today, I don't even bother with Office.
Yes, I use the media player. If I need to watch a rare DVD, I install VLC. Nowadays, people watch a lot of streaming content and do everything in their browser.Do not you need a media player?
I download media and watch it locally; you can call me "oldschool".Yes, I use the media player. If I need to watch a rare DVD, I install VLC. Nowadays, people watch a lot of streaming content and do everything in their browser.
Me to; I start with disabling IP Helper, Remote access connection manager, Server' SSDP discovery, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, and Workstation, as I do not use remote access, nor vpn, and I am not a server.The first thing I focused on were network facing services, ones that can interact with the net. That means there is a chance of tampering.
I use the media player just to listen to some MP3s offline.I download media and watch it locally; you can call me "oldschool".
I agree, and in my case doing this over how many multiple PC's? (2 notebooks and 1 desktop)Again you really don't need to do this anymore, disable services in 2025? Are we still stuck in XP/7 days where security was rubbish? Print Spooler bugs are rare and so 2008 era. You don't need to disable Bluetooth you can do that in Windows Settings. The rest meh, doesn't bother me. I just don't see the need to do this anymore.
I tried disabling both services for a month, when search indexing is disabled I can't find portable apps using my start menu, I tried with 3rd party start menus and all of them rely on windows search, SysMain doesn't write too much.I have been disabling these services since 2016 and since I used Windows 7 to save write operations on my SSD. I still have an SSD that is 96% healthy and has been in use for over 8 years. I don't know if it's because of these services that I disable, I just know that I always do this on computers that I use SSD.![]()
Stopped disabling sysmain and search, as there is no considerable gain.I prefer to use a trusted software to deal with services rather than disabling on my own, and was testing several good products on the last few weeks, all of them are good.
I tried disabling both services for a month, when search indexing is disabled I can't find portable apps using my start menu, I tried with 3rd party start menus and all of them rely on windows search, SysMain doesn't write too much.
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes