Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Considering AVAST's past this is possible.

However, do not forget that HMA is really a good OpenVPN service. That means you can always use an another OpenVPN client and not the default HMA client software.

Personally this is how I was using this VPN:

Or you can also set it in your router (if it supports OpenVPN).

Now I am using my own VPN server powered by OPNSENSE (a Hardened BSD/pfSense distro) and F-Secure Freedom VPN but TBH HMA was also very good.

Last edited:

Ludvig Y

Level 1
Mar 18, 2020
Yeah, you can install any VPN which you feel comfortable with. But in the meantime, I have been searching for the difference between a VPN vs Proxy. What is the major difference between 2 of them?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I have been searching for the difference between a VPN vs Proxy. What is the major difference between 2 of them?
Proxies simply swap your IP address for the proxy servers', and don't encrypt the traffic between your system and server.
They're also generally used on a per application basis, instead of system-wide.

VPNs also swap your IP but they encrypt the traffic (and DNS requests) between your system and the VPN server, which stops your ISP from storing a record of the sites you visit.
They're also usually used system-wide, although some offer split tunneling which allows you to choose specific applications whose traffic gets tunneled through the VPN while all other traffic goes directly to your ISP.

blacksheep

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Considering AVAST's past this is possible.
However, do not forget that HMA is really a good OpenVPN service. That means you can always use an another OpenVPN client and not the default HMA client software.
Personally this is how I was using this VPN:
Or you can also set it in your router (if it supports OpenVPN).
Now I am using my own VPN server powered by OPNSENSE (a Hardened BSD/pfSense distro) and F-Secure Freedom VPN but TBH HMA was also very good.

No. HMA is horrible VPN provider same goes with Avast. They keep log VPN Providers Mull 'Fraudster' Database In Wake of Lulzec Fiasco * TorrentFreak
Also look how much Avast disclose information Transparency report

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
If you are really concerned regarding your privacy, I would recommend contact the support of our sister company and ask for a personal VPN server. They deploy the VPN servers based on pfSense and OPNSense which are the distros of FreeBSD. I got one for myself and the price is relatedly low compared to other VPN solutions. There are only two downsides: 1- You will have only one IP address (per server). 2- NetFlix and similar services would not work as the servers have commercial dedicated IPs).

But the great and important advantages are:

1- The privacy: You will be in control of your own data.
2- You will be in control: you can create user names, self-signed certificates for encrypting the connections, usage of IPv4/v6.
3- Easy to use web panel (for medium to advanced users)
4- Additional plugins specially for OPNSense. You can install antiviruses with different signatures and even you can install SpamAssassin (AiONETS does not support plugins and you will be in charge of this).

their website: AiONETS | Cloud Hosting, SSL Certificates & Cloud Servers

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Is it better to use multiple VPN providers? (not at the same time)
It definitely is better, but you would need to have a network of servers, and you can add several OpenVPN profiles to your client software. But it would definately increase the cost as for each IP you would need a server. That is why I am using both. For example when you are intending to do non-important browsing use one of the available solution and for important browsing for example online banking or something which is more important to you, use your personal VPN server.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You could do either. Compartmentalization (using different VPNs for different uses), or nested VPN chains (chaining multiple into each other). Nested VPN chains take advanced setup. Neither are something I've ever needed or bothered with.
Nested VPN chain use different VPN providers as opposed to cascading which uses the VPN servers from the same provider.

Both don't require elaborate setup

At home, normally, I use double-hop VPN from different providers for my laptop connection to WiFi

VPN1 (router) => VPN2 (laptop)

If I use VM then I'll either connect

VPN1 (router) => VPN2 (laptop) or
VPN1 (router) => VPN3 (virtualbox)

I've tried using 3 different VPN providers (sparingly as it does affects the speed) as below.

VPN1 (router) => VPN2 (laptop) => VPN3 (virtualbox)

Read below

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Nested VPN chain use different VPN providers as opposed to cascading which uses the VPN servers from the same provider.

Both don't require elaborate setup

At home, normally, I use double-hop VPN from different providers for my laptop connection to WiFi

VPN1 (router) => VPN2 (laptop)

If I use VM then I'll either connect

VPN1 (router) => VPN2 (laptop) or
VPN1 (router) => VPN3 (virtualbox)

I've tried using 3 different VPN providers (sparingly as it does affects the speed) as below.

VPN1 (router) => VPN2 (laptop) => VPN3 (virtualbox)

Read below

I would call the process and requirements elaborate for the average computer user (not meaning average joe and grandma who will never even think about this). You have to have a router that can be a VPN client and know how to set that up. Then if you use a virtual box you have to be familiar with that. It’s not too difficult to learn, but even a lot of people on this forum aren’t super familiar with their routers and networking. I would, however, agree that if you decide to go that route it is not hard to learn. @HarborFront you might be one of the best people here to educate us all on the process.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I would call the process and requirements elaborate for the average computer user (not meaning average joe and grandma who will never even think about this). You have to have a router that can be a VPN client and know how to set that up. Then if you use a virtual box you have to be familiar with that. It’s not too difficult to learn, but even a lot of people on this forum aren’t super familiar with their routers and networking. I would, however, agree that if you decide to go that route it is not hard to learn. @HarborFront you might be one of the best people here to educate us all on the process.
Frankly, I learnt most of the things from the net. Of course sometimes I asked some questions and read others' postings here and elsewhere.

No secret in that. Anything I know I can answer. Anything I don't I can't

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Using virtual machines and multi-VPN is great, however, you can also use two or three pfSense/OPNSense to have the same effect. It might need a little bit more understanding and experience in network configurations but you can definitely learn it.

In OPNSense you can even tunnel to an another server and so on.

Possibilities are numerous, but the question is for what reason. For watching youtube or Netflix? or to work with more sensitive data or for more sensitive tasks like server administration.

I believe as I mentioned be fore for such tasks using pfSense or OPNSense is the best as these two are firewalls with VPN (OpenVPN and IPSec) capabilities. The reason that I insist on these two is that it has a more or less straight forward web interface which medium-level users would be able to easily use them. And they come with very user-friendly user management and a good compatibility (even with LDAP).

If your purpose is to use Netflix and such, definitely these VPNs are not for you.

Last edited:

MegenM

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
I have been using Surfshark VPN for more than a year now and it works fine.

Surfshark provides unlimited simultaneous device support at an affordable price. It is also great for torrenting and streaming. It allows me to stream Netflix in HD and 4K. It is one of the few VPN providers that publish the Warrant Canary report. As of July 20, they received zero warrants from the government.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Dear @Ludvig Y
As I mentioned they are actually enterprise level firewall solutions which are used to protect servers against DDOS, Traffic shaping and load balancing. However, they also come with built in VPN. They are pretty reliable and I have been just updating via one click and so far (in the last 3 years) I have not faced with any problems.

There are many enterprise-level companies using these two OS. You just need to have Medium+ knowledge of network configurations. I bought it from our sister company which (unfortunately) are only offering Germany and Finland cloud servers for a fairly cheap price. AiONETS | Cloud Hosting, SSL Certificates & Cloud Servers

On my mac I am using Viscosity as a VPN client and on Linux the build in OpenVPN client (which is damn reliable).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.