Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 152 44.7%

• Total voters

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
F-secure VPN, don't support torrenting, only HTTP/s traffic.
Gateway sites currently limited by this restriction:
  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • France
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Singapore
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020

Not completely true that information from F-Secure, I am in Portugal and P2P/torrenting is not support, I have the paid version and it only support Http/s, the speed is not very good, KIS and F-secure use OpenVPN protocol with is not the fast.

1607258817012.png

F-secure Forum: ( Freedome throttles connection speed while dowloading something from Steam )
Our Freedome team is suspecting that Steam downloads games with some P2P protocol like BitTorrent and it triggers our BitTorrent blocking. Could you please try this and report us the results?

1. Connect Freedome to Finland (where BitTorrent is allowed)

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
@Freud2004 , do you mind also include the link with that source on F-Secures forum? It's not for me, it's for everyone else.

I'm located in Sweden and F-Secure Freedome works flawless with BitTorrent traffic. Also have silly fast speed, but that's because I have a ISP that delivers. Then on the other hand, I rarely use Torrent at all.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
@Freud2004 , do you mind also include the link with that source on F-Secures forum? It's not for me, it's for everyone else.

I'm located in Sweden and F-Secure Freedome works flawless with BitTorrent traffic. Also have silly fast speed, but that's because I have a ISP that delivers. Then on the other hand, I rarely use Torrent at all.

upnorth I have around 350/Mbs internet speed, but :​

Link to the article: Why does my internet connection slow down with FREEDOME? - F-Secure Community

FREEDOME uses OpenVPN to secure the network traffic. Because of the technical limitations in OpenVPN, the maximum throughput will be around 150 Mbit/s,

Why does my internet connection slow down with FREEDOME?​

By Sami_OLast Updated: Mar 6, 2020

Why does my internet connection slow down with FREEDOME?
When you start using F-Secure FREEDOME, your network traffic is handled in a very different way than before. F-Secure FREEDOME is a Virtual Private Network (VPN) product which takes over all the network traffic, encrypts it and routes it through the virtual location you've selected to use or which has been automatically selected by the product. Without FREEDOME, all your network accesses go directly to wherever you're trying to go.
As FREEDOME encrypts and routes all your network traffic to whatever virtual location you're using, the distance in the network will bring some overhead to the observed network speed. In principle, the further the virtual location is network-wise, the more time it takes to transfer the data through there. Note that the data needs to come back through the same route. If you reside in, for example Sweden and select to use our Australian virtual location, all your network traffic will go through Australia even if you'd be reading a Swedish news site.
Sometimes the nearest virtual location may not be obvious, so it is worth trying different virtual locations if speed seems to be an issue. We're not imposing speed limitations on our users but if one of the virtual locations is used very actively by other users, it may slow down the network speed too.
On Windows, Mac and Android, FREEDOME uses OpenVPN to secure the network traffic. Because of the technical limitations in OpenVPN, the maximum throughput will be around 150 Mbit/s, provided that the network connection allows this fast connectivity. On Apple iOS devices, FREEDOME uses the built-in IPSec VPN instead of OpenVPN, and is not tied to the limitations of OpenVPN. This allows faster throughput, again provided that the network connection is fast enough.

Test speed with Nord VPN, and my daughter is seeing netflix right now in HD:

1607260879559.png

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
So, I thought I'd take WeVPN for a 30 day test drive. Let's see how it works for me. Speedtest shows about 195 Mbps, less than 1/2 my connection bandwidth. Oh well. I'll give it a couple of weeks before I take a call.

I applied for a refund. WeVPN is a mid rung service and probably needs to expand the number of network nodes in Asia. All is not negative though. Here are some of the things I liked:

a) Very good response times from Support
b) Connects in 2-3 seconds
c) Stable connections tested for a continuous 12-13 hours without a drop

Folks based in the North America and EU have more server/node options to chooose from. This service may work well for them.

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Interesting, is there any VPN for Android with a built-in firewall with the ability to block traffic for system applications? Only Blokada comes to mind, but it is not exactly what I want.
Adguard Mobile for android has the following features

Firewall + VPN

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't use Adguard VPN, but you can take a look at Introducing AdGuard VPN for Android (beta)
It's compatible with their Android ad- and tracker blocking-app, which can work as a firewall. See Adguard for Android now has a Firewall
You are one step before me. Adguard VPN needs subscription and now has servers in 35 countries as of this posting. No double-hop VPN though

EDIT - Latest count taken from my phone

VPN servers in 35 countries:
• Australia
- Austria
- Belgium
• Brazil
• Canada
- Czechia
- Denmark
- Egypt
- Finland
• France
• Germany
• Hong Kong
• India
• Ireland
• Italy
• Japan
- Lithunia
• Luxembourg
• Netherlands
• Norway
- Philippines
- Poland
- Romania
• Singapore
• South Africa
• South Korea
• Spain
- Switzerland
_Taiwan
• Turkey
- UAE
• Ukraine
• United Kingdom
• United States
- Vietnam

Also, if I select (for examples)

Hong Kong the DNS server is not in Hong Kong but located in the US/Singapore/Japan/Australia
Austria the DNS server is not in Austria but located in US/France
Germany the DNS server is not in Germany but located in US/France

The above is tested with ipleak.net and whatsmydnsserver.com

Hmmm..........my paid ExpressVPN shows exactly that the DNS server is located in the same country as the IP server. Maybe Adguard VPN is using virtual DNS servers

Last edited:

porkpiehat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 30, 2015
I use PIA, and the performance is fantastic... speeds match my normal speeds,and it has never let me down.. a very unpopular buyout recently, from what I believe, which is something to keep my eye on, but honestly, I bet there are a lot of people in internet security that were themselves hackers in the 80's/90's... sometimes, it takes a thief, to catch a thief, so I'll watch it's progress with interest.

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
I am using Surfshark, tons of servers speedy support, kinda cheap great features and never slowed down for me so far also unlimited* devices I run atm 15 devices with it.

(* there's probably obviously some fair use limit to how many devices but running 15 devices on a 50€ per 2 year sub... is ultra cheap)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've mostly been using Surfshark for the last few months. The speeds seem good in general but I rarely find the ones in Glasgow (I'm in the UK) are as good as the ones in London and Manchester. But I have the choice to swap and they have a decent selection of servers worldwide, though not as good as some providers do. The fastest server option is always Belgium, in general that is OK but not for financial institutions which always seem alarmed that I've gone to the home of the Euro!

I've previously used VPNs like Proton, Windscribe and CyberGhost, all of which were good but I think that Surfshark is faster.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
VyprVPN sounds interesting! No logs (independently tested), DNS, killswitch, wireguard, Swiss jurisdiction...and right now it's friigin cheap ($1.67 /month is you get a three year deal)! I might have to test this one. Thoughts on VyprVPN?

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
So, I found out something I don't like about VyprVPN. Every time I restart my computer VyprVPN deletes and recreates the tap adapters in uses. That's not going to work for me because I have adapters set to both public and private type in Windows 10; VyprVPN is set to private and everything else is set to public. Using firewall rules, certain apps are only allowed to connect to a private network type. This acts as a safety net to the VyprVPN killswitch. I can't use a block by connection type with VyprVPN.

Thought maybe that might be of use to someone. I'll try WeVPN next.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Been researching various VPN's lately, have decided that the only 2 I would consider now are Windscribe and Proton. Based on cost and speed. Don't care about what country they are based in or if they keep logs, I got nothing to hide. Want what works best at a decent price. I am paying for 50 mbps down from my IPS, both get me 45 mbps+, don't care about upload speeds. Using the free version of Proton and have the free 60 gb plan for Windscribe. Will try out both for several months and then purchase what has worked best.

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@Digmor Crusher For you, ProtonVPN PLus is faster or Windscribe Pro? Thanks.
Oh, I noticed you haven't bought any of them yet.

For me, Windscribe on OpenVPN is very slow. You might also check out this article:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.