Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
It might need a certain version of .NET Framework. I remember Nord having trouble years ago with later versions of .NET and you needed version 3.5!

Also does it try to install its own TAP adapter like OVPN TAP in network? Or does it use a generic one? Do you have any TAP network adapters installed?

Would you like me to download the OVPN install .exe and put it on a file hosting site for you? It's a long shot but you never know.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It might need a certain version of .NET Framework. I remember Nord having trouble years ago with later versions of .NET and you needed version 3.5!

Also does it try to install its own TAP adapter like OVPN TAP in network? Or does it use a generic one? Do you have any TAP network adapters installed?

Would you like me to download the OVPN install .exe and put it on a file hosting site for you? It's a long shot but you never know.
could be net framework?? fwiw, I tried Nordvpn several years ago, and it was clunky, but now in some places Nord is rated at or near the top. This sounds weird but after the first install failure, I opened the task manager to see what was happening, and NOTHING was happening! Really!! No cpu, no RAM, no disk, no network, pc was flatlined during subsequent attempts. I tried the install about 6 times last night. The OVPN exe was like a lump of coal. I DL'd it again, checked the hash sha256, "analyzed" it in pestudio. All my security was disabled, no alerts of anything blocking anything. Odd! Meanwhile, I'm waiting for another reply from their support. I think it has become too irregular to continue to try to install it, unless support come up with an understandable and easy solution, I'm good with the 2 vpn I'm currently using. PS I ran KVRT scan and 0 0 0 clean. I could try installing it on win10vm, but I'm not that curious. Thanks for the offer to host a DL, but never mind. If i hear something meaningful from support, I'll pass it along.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Thanks for the offer to host a DL, but never mind. If i hear something meaningful from support, I'll pass it along.
No problems. It's probably either .NET framework issue or a Visual C++ Runtime issue since you turned off ESET and ran the .exe and got nothing.

One last thing did you download the OVPN install .exe while using a vpn?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
One last thing did you download the OVPN install .exe while using a vpn?
I was keeping notes! and the answer is yes DL'd using a vpn, but disconnected and closed with attempted install. Curious, what you thinking?? OVPN published the sha256 of the exe and it matched, when I DL'd it a second time, my notes are less clear, probably without vpn for 2d D. Both exe inert!!

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
fwiw update ovpn installation: support emailed me updated installer, ovpn-win-6-2.4.1.5341.exe. Finally, got it installed. Unclear what the problem was with install.
Good news, ovpn is the fastest of the 3 vpn currently using by a significant amount, but no "split tunnel."

Last edited:

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
VPN is the answer!

If you're not already using a VPN or if you're using a bad VPN, do something about it today! Why? A VPN gives you anonymity (use the internet without revealing your IP address and your geographical location), security (e.g. encrypted internet connection, avoid espionage from the internet provider, authorities and unauthorized third parties, avoid hacking on public WiFi), access to the entire internet (avoid censorship, unblock websites and online content that are only open to a specific geographic area;)

Reactions: simmerskool

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
If someone is looking for Mullvad VPN with discount, ATM we have good offers:

Apart from the fact that we are offering Mullvad, I -PERSONALLY as a user- prefer Mullvad because it comes with 6 important features (important to me):
- Killswitch and strict mode
- Split tunneling
- Ability to set different ports for some protocols
- Ability to set/use external DNS services such as NextDNS
- Really high speeds specially for the servers near my country

IF you trust NextDNS service, I believe it can provide you with a rather high level of privacy and security in combination with Mullvad.

If you are already using Mullvad VPN you can use the following how to article to integrate NextDNS into your Mullvad app:

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I like mullvad but yesterday and today it is blacklisted by spamhaus. :unsure: I assume mullvad is aware of this, wonder why it is not unlist asap?

You cannot blame Mullvad because some of their users are knuckleheads who got inefcted and are not spreading that malware. How is that a VPN's fault?

Start using VPNs by default.

For home users, I recommend using Proton VPN Free which includes split tunnelling to exclude Apps and IP address ranges, which is important for Chromecast to function.

All VPNs worth anything have this though.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You can blame Mullvad because some of their users are knuckleheads who got inefcted and are not spreading that malware. How is that a VPN's fault?
because I pay them money to use their vpn. I'm generally aware of procedures vendor can take to be removed from blacklist.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
because I pay them money to use their vpn. I'm generally aware of procedures vendor can take to be removed from blacklist.

Would you blame your ISP too if bad things happen? No. Yet you pay for that? A VPN is no different. If you have an issue, report it, switch servers, then move on.

I've tried NordVPN and Proton but I always go back to PIA which I've been using for 10 years now. It has what I need, secure DNS, kill switch, and PIA Mace that blocks ads, tracking tools, and malware. It also has open VPN, Wireguard, split tunnelling and Multi-Hop and the speed is very good(y)

Except they have USA jurisdiction and are based in new york. If you care about privacy...run away from Pain in the Ass, I mean Private Internet Access.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Would you blame your ISP too if bad things happen? No. Yet you pay for that? A VPN is no different. If you have an issue, report it, switch servers, then move on.
if my ISP has issues, ideally they should fix it within a reasonable time. It is relevant for users to know that sometimes mullvad is blacklisted. I reported it, but I also think mullvad should know on their end if their service gets blacklisted. From my side, they have been blacklisted for past 2 days. I do have other alternatives and do use them. I do like mullvad, it is my primary vpn. Does not change the fact that mullvad has been blacklisted for 2 days and they have not fixed this with spamhaus, and the blacklist was preventing me from going to some websites before I became aware of the mullvad blacklist.
And yes, I do pay for my ISP service. But as far as I can tell my ISP is not blacklisted, and it operating within specs. When it has problems, they usually fix it as soon as reasonably possible.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.