Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

Zeitas

Level 2
Verified
Apr 27, 2014
Wireguard ?
Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

AG3S

Level 2
Oct 14, 2020
Mullvad is very good. They assign you a number when you join. The downside for me is that I have older computers I just browse with and it won't work on win 7 and 8.

I bought Proton VPN. It's reliable and works for my needs. It comes with a Net Shield that blocks malware, ads and trackers. And of course a Kill Switch. When I've tested the speed I get different results with different speed apps. Used to have Speedtest downloaded until I read their hideous privacy policies.
I have one old device powered by Windows 7, and I am using Mullvad via the OpenVPN client.. it works pretty well...

Reactions: Nevi and amirr

AG3S

Level 2
Oct 14, 2020
You absolutely know nothing. See PIA , in court could not hand over any data. Pls stop promoting Mullvad.
Promoting? What do you mean? I am just sharing my opinion as you can do :)

I have more than 6 different VPN subscriptions and based on my opinion and what I have seen so far, Mullvad is the winner.. not sure about the future though...

PIA is part of the same group as ExpressVPN and CyberGhost and all are owned by a famous company which has a horrible reputation when it comes to privacy. It is all over the internet !

BTW.. I have ExpressVPN and CyberGhost subscriptions also but I would not renew ...

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
IVPN now supports local socks5 proxy, just like Mullvad! Meaning that you can now enter a local sock5 proxy address, in this case 10.1.0.1, to a local app in your applications and that will only allow communication when IVPN is up and running. Think is it like an added safety net just in case IVPN goes down. If you were to set your apps (like qbittorrent, sabnzbd, firefox, Chrome, etc., you are guaranteeing they can only function if IVPN is up and running . Mullvad and hide.me are the only other VPNs that offer this. Yes, most reputable VPNs have killswitches. But those rely on a firewall or WFP, which can have conflicts. This way, the communication coming from the apps themselves is cut off. Like I said, a safety net just in case.

IVPN was already among the top VPNs. This new features makes it even better and is at the top of my list now.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
IVPN was already among the top VPNs. This new features makes it even better and is at the top of my list now.
I've been a long time user of ivpn. recently discovered that when you open the ivpn app, it launches \windows\system32\reg.exe which some security software blocks, and if it is blocked, ivpn app does not fully start and cannot connect. I chatted with tech support and they did not really explain why it necessary for ivpn to run reg.exe. other vpn I have do not do this. :unsure:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
recently discovered that when you open the ivpn app, it launches \windows\system32\reg.exe which some security software blocks, and if it is blocked,

I don't get this either, why would you need to launch reg.exe for a vpn? It's very strange. I know of no other vpn that needs to access/launch reg.exe.

You would expect that from malware not a vpn, and then you have to think what else are they calling/launching/writing to inside the client.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Regardless of anything I've put in this thread: I've tried most & for me OVPN is the best I've used, no hard drives, double hop system, no logs at all, & for me it's most impressed - I don't work for OVPN but I did get a t-shirt :):)

CEO Interview (BTW I have the same t-shirt) :eek::eek:
looks interesting, I was unaware of OVPN. how long have you been using it? I also looked at Mullvad, I like its pricing better, 5 Euros / month flat (& other features mentioned). But I'll probably try OVPN for a month.

Reactions: Nevi and Sorrento

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
My advice is as follows, try any VPN you want and the one you like the most, if it's secure enough, go for it. But test the speed of different servers as well, and see if it has a secure DNS, WireGuard, no logs policy, and maybe a little bit more. Thats what I did.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Regardless of anything I've put in this thread: I've tried most & for me OVPN is the best I've used, no hard drives, double hop system, no logs at all, & for me it's most impressed - I don't work for OVPN but I did get a t-shirt :):)
@Sorrento curious, did you or any MT user have any issues installing ovpn? Without going into a long story, I did. I paid for a month, that worked fine :rolleyes: installation was unexpectedly problematic :eek: I sent support an email +24hr ago and no reply. :( No other vpn app was running, but wonder if just having another one installed (& working well) interfered with ovpn install?? :unsure::confused:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I've been a long time user of ivpn. recently discovered that when you open the ivpn app, it launches \windows\system32\reg.exe which some security software blocks, and if it is blocked, ivpn app does not fully start and cannot connect. I chatted with tech support and they did not really explain why it necessary for ivpn to run reg.exe. other vpn I have do not do this. :unsure:
This has happened to me too, I just don't remember which VPN at the time I used it. That I remember, every time I opened the VPN, this reg.exe file was opened. But OSArmor would block the execution of this file from this folder anyway \Windows\System32\reg.exe. This reg.exe file is a legitimate Microsoft file called Registry Console Tool. What it was doing at the time, I have no idea, only that it remains a mystery.:unsure:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
As regards OVPN, I have at times had part of install I was told by support to press ignore - I have contacted support a few times usually because I run beta tests, support have always replied in less than a day - You sure it's not being filtered as spam as the reply does come into your standard mail box - I contacted them a couple of days ago with the latest early beta & I had a reply this morning asking how it went? As well as fast replies & a link to latest beta, very odd and had a change I requested a couple of months ago.

EDIT: I pointed out this thread with OVPN support as they replied to a beta problem & seemed they have no outstanding support enquiries, might be an idea to re-request a problem? :eek::eek:

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
...installation was unexpectedly problematic :eek: I sent support an email +24hr ago and no reply. :( No other vpn app was running, but wonder if just having another one installed (& working well) interfered with ovpn install?? :unsure::confused:
On your point about having another VPN running and possibly causing a conflict; a few years ago I could have say 4 or 5 VPNs installed and choose which one I wanted to use without any obvious problems. More recently I've found this to be an impossibility. Installation problems when another VPN was already installed, finding it impossible to get one running while other VPNs were installed but not running. Contact with support at various VPNs has usually led to me being told to uninstall the other VPN(s). Responding that having multiple VPNs never used to be an issue for me usually gets short shrift replies, if any at all. Is it just me and/or my devices and their settings, or does it seem to others that VPNs are making it more difficult to have more than one VPN installed at the same time?

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
a few years ago I could have say 4 or 5 VPNs installed and choose which one I wanted to use without any obvious problems.
Exactly, I have had a similar experience. Multiple VPN clients installed (5 to 6) and no issues. These days I mainly use Openvpn or Wireguard client but for some Vpn's I do use their client because of issues with config files. The Vpn clients should create a separate TAP for each Vpn in your network adapters and that's about it. There shouldn't be any trouble or conflicts.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
As regards OVPN, I have at times had part of install I was told by support to press ignore - I have contacted support a few times usually because I run beta tests, support have always replied in less than a day - You sure it's not being filtered as spam as the reply does come into your standard mail box - I contacted them a couple of days ago with the latest early beta & I had a reply this morning asking how it went? As well as fast replies & a link to latest beta, very odd and had a change I requested a couple of months ago.

EDIT: I pointed out this thread with OVPN support as they replied to a beta problem & seemed they have no outstanding support enquiries, might be an idea to re-request a problem? :eek::eek:
I did see reply from support this morning, it looks like it arrived 330am local time, I think we're in different zones. OPVN thinks my AV (ESET) may have interferred with install. Too busy today to try again, but I expect I will later tonight. THANKS!! :D

&& later with ESET disabled, OVPN did not install, it seems not even to run at all. Weird++ :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
PS OVPN online leak test, is it misleading??

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
On your point about having another VPN running and possibly causing a conflict; a few years ago I could have say 4 or 5 VPNs installed and choose which one I wanted to use without any obvious problems. More recently I've found this to be an impossibility. Installation problems when another VPN was already installed, finding it impossible to get one running while other VPNs were installed but not running. Contact with support at various VPNs has usually led to me being told to uninstall the other VPN(s). Responding that having multiple VPNs never used to be an issue for me usually gets short shrift replies, if any at all. Is it just me and/or my devices and their settings, or does it seem to others that VPNs are making it more difficult to have more than one VPN installed at the same time?
I have seen that in the past, where another vpn on system is problematic for another one. I have 2 installed right now, and I swtich back and forth between them aok. I was not planning on another, but did decide that OVPN looked interesting. I'll try to install it later tonight with AV disabled.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
fwiw, I continue NOT to be able to install OVPN, it appears that for whatever reason its installer does not run on my win10? It's like a null or void exe?? Don't ever recall seeing anything like this. o_O I'm waiting for reply from OVPN support, but now my gut is telling me, let it be.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.