Advice Request Which web shield/web protection is better?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Don't use the Avira extension. It has one of the worst performance impact among all extensions. It slows down page loading, use very high memory and also high initial & background CPU. So it's not a good choice.

So far I haven't noticed any change in page load times in Edge or much more memory usage. But, I have heard what you said before so I will keep a eye out and look more into it. I might very well go back to malwarebytes.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
So far I haven't noticed any change in page load times in Edge or much more memory usage. But, I have heard what you said before so I will keep a eye out and look more into it. I might very well go back to malwarebytes.
Check this out:
Avast extension's result is also there which is one of the initial topic of this thread.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Check this out:
Avast extension's result is also there which is one of the initial topic of this thread.
Developers continued emphasis on browser speed, often at the expense of security, has to make up for the unbridled overuse of extensions by the masses. Of course, this doesn't even speak to browser feature creep as a selling point to counter the explosion of extensions.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I thought I might update here one more time, I have removed the Avast extension again and it is getting much easier to live without it. Avast AV and Edge/Chrome all do a great job by themselves at blocking bad sites. I don't like to over-armor my browser anyway and the only security extensions I use now are Ublock Origin and one that displays the flag and country where web sites or their servers are located. I do have a dark mode extension but hardly ever use it.

Firefox worked ok but not for everything. I got real tired of trying to get it to cooperate with a few music web sites I am on, and for some reason the audio equalizer extension I use sounded like garbage when listening to Spotify or Iheart in the FF browser. It's clear as a bell and sounds great in Edge and Chrome. I had a few other problems with FF too, so I just signed out of it and probably will not use it at all. It is still in my programs list if I ever do need it. I am back to using Edge as my default on my personal laptop and Chrome on my work laptop.

I learned a lot in this thread. Thanks to everyone who replied.

C.H.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
It all comes down to what kind of AV you are using.
If you are using an AV with HTTP / HTTPS scanning then leave security to that, there is no need to install anything other than an adblocker.
If not (Defender for example), you can increase security on the DNS level (NextDNS, Quad9, etc).
I always try to keep everything simple (KISS) and install as less extensions as possible.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.