Which will be the best paid Antivirus or Internet Security suite of 2017?

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I know by the end of this semester, My Uni is transitioning to Sophos.... IJust check school website, Norton is not offer anymore, it is still showing on Kerberos download link. No More Norton after this semester :(:(:( Thanks for the update @Wave seems Sophos has taken over almost all Uni's now worldwide.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 405

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I know by the end of this semester, My Uni is transitioning to Sophos.... IJust check school website, Norton is not offer anymore, it is still showing on Kerberos download link. No More Norton after this semester :(:(:( Thanks for the update @Wave seems Sophos has taken over almost all Uni's now worldwide.
Not all, here it's McAfee virusscan enterprise we get for free. ;)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
  • Avast
  • AVG
  • NOD32 / ESET Smart Security.
  • Norton

I haven't numbered them, as they are all very good products, and in my opinion there is no clear leader. They are all extremely light (some of the lightest antiviruses there are), and have good detection rates.

At the moment I use Avast.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I thought I saw in one of the videos here that G Data performs better than Emsisoft?

Anyone can confirm this?

Reactions: Maschera
W

Wave

I thought I saw in one of the videos here that G Data performs better than Emsisoft?

Anyone can confirm this?
G Data doesn't "perform" better than Emsisoft (nor vice versa), although they do produce great products. We cannot know which one is "better" because both have great dynamic protection capabilities (e.g. G Data has a good behavior blocker however it's very different to that of the Emsisoft one and therefore it's hard to compare the two) and regarding static detection methods, there are so many samples out there that it's impossible to know which product is "best" for detecting malware overall... Literally impossible. Malware is evolving all the time and therefore checksum signatures are not enough (and each vendor have their own analyst team with their own work rates, own sample submissions and research teams, etc.), and since malware is evolving all the time and there are so many different threat types ("strains" in my books, if you will), it's impossible to know which product has the best dynamic protection for preventing malware overall.

That being said, all reviews should be taken with a grain of salt - nothing more, nothing less. The tests do not show the product's full capabilities and never will, simply due to how much new malware is released every month, even week or day if you will... You cannot even imagine how many new samples get released every month which have checksum hashes unknown to current AV virus definition databases, even if the individual sample functionality is just copies from previous samples.

Generally speaking, your best bet is anti-executable and utilization of a sandbox when it comes down to security software, however it will only work with the correct usage... If you auto-allow untrusted programs to run or run a program out of the sandbox prior to proper checks then of course you'll become infected anyway.

At the end of the day, there is no "best" security product, you just have to test and use what you feel comfortable with using... The absolute best defense is yourself and it's been this way since the very start and it always will be like this no matter what happens. ;)

Stay safe,
Wave.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
2016 is definitely a big year for everyone especially when ransomware raised in that time and infect everywhere.

Well I will categorized it since the products excelled in different out comes.

Static Detection mechanism: Avira
Dynamic Detection mechanism: Kaspersky, Emsisoft and Bitdefender

Implementation of strong HIPS/BB or lock down modules: Avast and Kaspersky

Others can be considered passive and even though it referenced on signatures and cloud.

Currently the plus rating for me goes on Avast, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Qihoo, ESET and Emsisoft.

Neutral rating: F-secure, AVG, Comodo, Trend Micro and few others.

Worst rating regardless if it contain strong signature since can be easily defeat on the other hand: Avira and QuickHeal.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
2016 is definitely a big year for everyone especially when ransomware raised in that time and infect everywhere.

Well I will categorized it since the products excelled in different out comes.

Static Detection mechanism: Avira
Dynamic Detection mechanism: Kaspersky, Emsisoft and Bitdefender

Implementation of strong HIPS/BB or lock down modules: Avast and Kaspersky

Others can be considered passive and even though it referenced on signatures and cloud.

Currently the plus rating for me goes on Avast, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Qihoo, ESET and Emsisoft.

Neutral rating: F-secure, AVG, Comodo, Trend Micro and few others.

Worst rating regardless if it contain strong signature since can be easily defeat on the other hand: Avira and QuickHeal.
Qihoo with BD, Avira and its own engine is great except that definition update is once a day which means it's too slow to react to malware attacks.

I suggest to include G Data as well for its definition updates is hourly. Note it's using BD and its own engine and its BB is also very strong

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
FOR ADVANCED USERS I would say

Signatures - Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Avira

Proactive defense - Bitdefender (Active Threat Control), Kaspersky (Proactive defense | System watcher), Emsisoft

ESET and Avast are great when configured well.
I loved the way Emsisoft emerged with its sophisticated modules, and turned from a plain anti-malware to an all-in-one antimalware/IS. It does require many user decisions though. Some video tests have strengthened this point.
Qihoo 360 has been aggressively improving and the FPs seem to be under control. Yet delayed signature updates are a big drawback (BD is almost a day late than Avira). It's seen missing some samples detected by BD as in @safe1st videos.
I doubt why F-secure isn't much taken into consideration. Maybe there are fewer users and testers?
Haven't tried Trend Micro, though many AV tests glorify it.
Big fan of Zemana's pandora technology!

Configurability - Kaspersky, ESET, Norton (I had tried Norton long ago, but I am aware of the configurations it offers now)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR VERY BASIC USERS (maybe a newcomer or parents..?)

I think Kaspersky, Avast, Avira or ESET would be simpler programs to interact with.
Among free ones, Avira and Avast are solid. I will delete Bitdefender from here because it gets difficult for users unfamiliar with these toys, to deal with FPs.
Qihoo annoys sometimes. Suspicion detection just on the basis of file location or identifying such behavior common in even many safe apps has been annoying. It has improved though, both on detection and reducing alerts.

After all, it takes man and machine to win!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.