Advice Request Which will be your browser of 2018 ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
may i ask you which will be your broswer of the 2018 ?

will you continue to use your trusty browser or will you change your browser ?

and may I know which browser do you use included chrome engine broswers and firefox engine browsers ?
i have always used firefox with 4 extension but with the new version i lost all of them, outside adguard blocker

i have switch to chrome maybe i will use Slimjet , but about chrome engine/firefox engine browswer i don't know really if i can trust of them

thanks
and happy new year

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Hi, clean your fan first, maybe...
Been looking into getting fan cleaned - snag is my lappy is one of those awkward ones where you have to dismantle the entire thing (including the MoBo) just to get at the fan!!:eek::eek::eek:
Found a post somewhere that says it's OK to blow compressed air in the intake vents (apparently from a tech that works for the manufacturer)... Time to get some overpriced air...!o_O:LOL:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Found a post somewhere that says it's OK to blow compressed air in the intake vents (apparently from a tech that works for the manufacturer)... Time to get some overpriced air...!o_O:LOL:
If there'a a lot of dust between the intake vents and the fan, then compressed air will do very little.

I use an air compressor with a particulate filter for cleaning dust from laptops.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
There can be only one. Chrome. But I admit I was looking at the new Firefox Quantum. But one of my friends did the hard work, and it seems (on his machine) it was a total diaster regarding CPU and RAM. So I stay with my Chrome browser until I can get some more info on FQ.
TOR to occasional trips to dark places.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Been looking into getting fan cleaned - snag is my lappy is one of those awkward ones where you have to dismantle the entire thing (including the MoBo) just to get at the fan!!:eek::eek::eek:
Use MT search feature to be able to find some good postings about the fan cleaning methods .. I use brush too!

Reactions: ElectricSheep

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I use SlimJet x64
great memory trimming, management. Fast speed, tweakable privacy settings

Tried firefox and I was disappointed

l0rdraiden

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I use SlimJet x64
great memory trimming, management. Fast speed, tweakable privacy settings

Tried firefox and I was disappointed

It's just chrome with addons and different settings compiled by an unknown guy with unknown intentions and no one knows how is he making money with this...
Based probably in who knows which obsolete version of chromium plenty of security bugs.

Excellent choice, considering this is a security forum.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
It's just chrome with addons and different settings compiled by an unknown guy with unknown intentions and no one knows how is he making money with this...
Based probably in who knows which obsolete version of chromium plenty of security bugs.

Excellent choice, considering this is a security forum.
so what is your suggested browser?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Try Firefox or Vivaldi, I prefer the first one, a new version will be released soon and is suppose to be even faster
honestly, I tried both but I didn't like them due to their UIs. Vivaldi is a little heavier for my old laptop
I find most chromium-based browsers are suitable for me except vivaldi and yandex

I can't use firefox because it doensn't have popup notification for website such as facebook and youtube + I don't like the font presentation

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Evjl's Rain you can try Cent browser.
It has many settings to play with and i find it better in cpu than Slimjet.
And of course there is a setting for reducing RAM but personally i don't have it enabled.
I am suggesting Cent because my laptop is also old, 9 years old in fact;)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain you can try Cent browser.
It has many settings to play with and i find it better in cpu than Slimjet.
And of course there is a setting for reducing RAM but personally i don't have it enabled.
I am suggesting Cent because my laptop is also old, 9 years old in fact;)
hmm, the last time I tried Cent, KIS immediate deleted it without a prompt
furthermore, this browser is located in china and in the past they used chinese-like font. They don't describe them clearly on the website, too
at least slimsjet say they are in USA
Domain Name: CENTBROWSER.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1873855860_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: grs-whois.hichina.com
Registrar URL: 域名注册_虚拟主机_云服务器_企业邮箱-万网-阿里云旗下品牌
Updated Date: 2017-08-18T18:43:07Z
Creation Date: 2014-09-02T16:37:51Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2018-09-02T16:37:51Z
Registrar: HiChina Zhicheng Technology Ltd.
Registrar IANA ID: 420
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: DomainAbuse@service.aliyun.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +86.95187
Domain Status: ok EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN
Name Server: JOSH.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Name Server: RACHEL.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form | ICANN
>>> Last update of whois database: 2018-01-20T08:31:38Z <<<

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hello Evjl's Rain try nightly:

Basilisk Web Browser

"Basilisk is a modern, full-featured web browser and as such requires a reasonably modern system to properly run.
Windows requirements:
  • Windows 7 or later. Windows XP or Windows Vista are not supported.
  • 1GB of RAM (2GB or more recommended for heavy use).
  • Dedicated GPU strongly recommended.
  • A modern processor (must have SSE2 support as the absolute minimum)"

- my impressions are in Post #7: Basilisk Web Browser

Official Basilisk forum: Basilisk - Pale Moon forum

Even Windows XP Basilisk download link on msfn.org Page 15 here: My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon for XP

Compare and get your impressions

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hello Evjl's Rain try nightly:

Basilisk Web Browser

- all is in my Post #7: Basilisk Web Browser

Official Basilisk forum: Basilisk - Pale Moon forum

Even Windows XP Basilisk download link on msfn.org Page 15 here: My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon for XP

Compare and get your impressions
I can't use any firefox-like browser because they lack notification. also, this one is based on palemoon, which doesn't support all firefox's extension
I tried palemoon and I uninstalled it in less than 5 minutes. I think this one is similar amd it's like a beta version of palemoon

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Basilisk browser (= Firefox 55 Nightly edition, Australis UI, theme) - support legacy extensions...
Which notifications, which extensions are problems for you?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Basilisk browser (= Firefox 55 Nightly edition, Australis UI, theme) - support legacy extensions...
Which notifications, which extensions are problems for you?
i tried palemoon and I wasn't happy with ít performance. It still feels slow and sluggish
I don't feel comfortable using after many of using chrome
facebook notification. When I receive a message chrome will popup a noti. With firefox, I have to open facebook to check manually

with the same extensions, chrome runs much faster than firefox 55, 56
firefox 57 is on par with chrome or maybe a bit smoother but the extension support is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.