Advice Request Who has Device Admin & Accessibility privileges on your Android Phone?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
After reading FYI: Find My Device doesn't need to be on in 'Device admin apps' to remotely wipe or lock your phone on Android 10, I wanted to check to see who had these special permissions.

Originally my Android device came with Android 8 Oreo, and now on Android 10 I hadn't bothered to check which apps are allowed as Device Admin and Accessibility usage.

Now that I'm aware, I can safely remove Find My Device from Device Admin. In Accessibility, I only have one app allowed (Xperia Assist).

On your Android device, which apps have:
  1. Device Administrator privilege?
  2. Accessibility usage?
  3. Please state your Android version.

"Privacy experts" will claim none for both, but for the average user here, when last did you check these special permissions?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Screenshot_20201102-181631.png
Nothing enabled in accessibility.
Android 9

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
in your case you had Xperia Assist.
Xperia Assist is not bloatware. It is an useful app, which is much better than Assistant and Digital Wellbeing by Google.

Bloatware are apps or services that provide zero benefits for the user. For example, Facebook app for non-FB users, or mobile operators selling antivirus subscriptions for iPhone buyers.

Accessibility: VyprVPN+NordVPN+EkspressVPN+IPvanishVPN+ProtonVPN & BitdefenderVPN.
Why do they require Accessibility usage?

I have NordVPN and it does not require those permissions, nor a way to allow it.

Android 9
Does Google Pay work without device admin?

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Xperia Assist is not bloatware. It is an useful app, which is much better than Assistant and Digital Wellbeing by Google.

Why do they require Accessibility usage?

I have NordVPN and it does not require those permissions, nor a way to allow it.

Does Google Pay work without device admin?
Hi, @Spawn I did not know, sorry:(

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Android 9 phone:
Admin

Find My Device
Screen lock service

There also was Google Pay. But I deactivated it, as it's something I don't use.

Accessibility
AVG Cleaner

Android 10 tablet:
Admin

Find My Device

Accessibility
Nothing

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.