Why (almost) everyone uses Chrome?

D

Deleted member 178

If privacy is low then what does security mean ? Security is not limited to defense from malware.
I don't see Google or MS sending malware or hacking your bank account...

Security overweight privacy.
Using Google/MS doesnt mean exposing your every secrets to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I don't see Google or MS sending malware or hacking your bank account...

Security overweight privacy.
Google or MS may not be doing it directly but who knows what data they sell to 3rd parties. Bank frauds, scams etc are increasing day by day and it happen to people at total surprise. Without privacy there is no security either its two sides of the same coin. If front door of ones house is open in the night he is simply inviting theft. Whether theft happen or not is based on his luck.

Using Google/MS doesnt mean exposing your every secrets to everyone.

Neither you nor me knows what user data Google/MS sell and to whom. While using internet try to be private as much as possible is more important than fear for malware which can be tackled in many other effective ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Google or MS may not be doing it directly but who knows what data they sell to 3rd parties. Bank frauds, scams etc are increasing day by day and it happen to people at total surprise. Without privacy there is no security either its two sides of the same coin. If front door of ones house is open in the night he is simply inviting theft. Whether theft happen or not is based on his luck.

Neither you nor me knows what user data Google/MS sell and to whom. While using internet try to be private as much as possible is more important than fear for malware which can be tackled in many other effective ways.
i have 3 gaming accounts with gmail on them. Only used for the making of that gaming account.

Not single message have appeared out of the games news in my email during past 5 years

If were talking about email scams/phishing messages there emails are either leaked with data breach or you have given access to some sketchy sites

Any browser you really decide to go with, after all its the user who can mess up things not the browser

And against any zero day attacks no matter what you use, you probably have to have browser either sandboxed or default deny taking care of your back

Just use browser you feel most comfortable to play with, yet i have used all the possible browsers out there im always coming back to google chrome to fix issues that exist on the other browser, probably because google is just big name and theyre ahead of others

D

Deleted member 178

Google or MS may not be doing it directly but who knows what data they sell to 3rd parties. Bank frauds, scams etc are increasing day by day and it happen to people at total surprise.
Not related to privacy, people get tricked via phishing or malicious ads, this is security.

Without privacy there is no security either its two sides of the same coin. If front door of ones house is open in the night he is simply inviting theft. Whether theft happen or not is based on his luck.
Sure, same coin.
I was never concerned much by data collection from tech giants and was never hacked despite heavily using Google services or else.

That door argument is the same old failed one used by privacy Paranoids and Google haters.
I don't let my door open to everyone, my door is locked. My sensitive stuff are in a vault (encrypted). I don't care they know where I surf.

You control your security, it is local.
You don't control your privacy, it relied on where you browse and what you use. Some sites collect more than the browser you use...

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Why do I use Chrome and overall most Google services?
  • Security -a whole expert team with enough budget to introduce security features
  • Database -strong and huge database to store my data
  • Privacy -although we know they use our data for advertising, we will never see any compromise on our accounts
  • Stability and performance -usually the most easy to use/stable/fast service
Plus the name Google sounds to Googol or Goggle and that's funny

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
That door argument is the same old failed one used by privacy Paranoids and Google haters.
I don't let my door open to everyone, my door is locked. My sensitive stuff are in a vault (encrypted). I don't care they know where I surf.

If you do not know what data goes outside (poor privacy) your door is obviously open and you are moving forward based on luck nothing else.

You control your security, it is local.
You don't control your privacy, it relied on where you browse and what you use. Some sites collect more than the browser you use...

One cannot protect his privacy 100% on the internet which is true but one can surely reduce his footprint in the internet. As long as one doesn't know what data goes outside and to whom and what they do with it, if they hand over the data to some else or not and the list goes on. The safe thing to do is reduce one's footprint in the internet as low as possibly can.

I was never concerned much by data collection from tech giants and was never hacked despite heavily using Google services or else.
You may not got hacked but there are people who got hacked that coincidentally also used google services ? See why one needs to allow someone to data mine you ? Its like saying yesterday night I slept with my house front door opened yet in the morning I am safe and nobody robbed my house.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Google or MS may not be doing it directly but who knows what data they sell to 3rd parties.
Technically they're not selling the information. Advertisers use audience selection tools to choose the types of users they want their ads to reach, then Google uses the information they've gathered from users to match them with the advertisers' chosen audiences.
Obviously this doesn't mean your information isn't leaking out elsewhere (like what happened with Facebook or Google+), but I'd be less concerned about the security of the data that Google or Microsoft holds on me than handing it over to some random company who, for all anybody knows, has about as much cyber-security knowledge as your average 13 year old.

D

Deleted member 178

If you do not know what data goes outside (poor privacy) your door is obviously open and you are moving forward based on luck nothing else.
I know what may goes out about me, only useless stuff that i type/send on my browser.
If you expose everything about yourself, don't complain.

One cannot protect his privacy 100% on the internet which is true but one can surely reduce his footprint in the internet. As long as one doesn't know what data goes outside and to whom and what they do with it, if they hand over the data to some else or not and the list goes on. The safe thing to do is reduce one's footprint in the internet as low as possibly can.
Yes but that is all on the user.

You may not got hacked but there are people who got hacked that coincidentally also used google services ? See why one needs to allow someone to data mine you ? Its like saying yesterday night I slept with my house front door opened yet in the morning I am safe and nobody robbed my house.
Everything datamine you.

You can't blame tech giants because someone get hacked from his carelessness ? Come on..

Also, why do you keep thinking your door is open? Installing and using a software is like inviting someone in your house, you let them in, you are responsible, they didn't broke in without your authorization.
They may see how you live, how your room is decorated, what TV brand you use, what newspaper you read, etc... . So will you blame them to memorize and maybe use those infos or share with their friends? I don't think so.

If you are so Paranoid about privacy, why you use a bank? recording everything even your salary, building a profile of you which determine what kind of client you are and on which limitations you will fall under, etc...
I don't see you complaining.

Reactions: Thales and JM Safe

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
If privacy is low then what does security mean ? Security is not limited to defense from malware.

I was a privacy paranoid. I was willing to pay for services that offer anonymity, give up convenience, paying for extra machine etc.
Then I educated myself and realized that real privacy comes with pain in the butt.

VPN, Firefox, TOR, Protonmail, Linux etc don't make your life private. You need to do extremist things to achieve fairly good privacy or completely hide your footprint. If you use VPN they surely log something and your privacy is gone! If you use IPhone, Android, Windows, credit card, mobile network and so on. then your privacy is gone!
Using Firefox instead of chrome will not make your life private. It will not hide you. Maybe Google don't care your privacy but they product is secure.

Security is achievable, privacy not!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I was a privacy paranoid. I was willing to pay for services that offer anonymity, give up convenience, paying for extra machine etc.
Then I educated myself and realized that real privacy comes with pain in the butt.

VPN, Firefox, TOR, Protonmail, Linux etc don't make your life private. You need to do extremist things to achieve fairly good privacy or completely hide your footprint. If you use VPN they surely log something and your privacy is gone! If you use IPhone, Android, Windows, credit card, mobile network and so on. then your privacy is gone!
Using Firefox instead of chrome will not make your life private. It will not hide you. Maybe Google don't care your privacy but they product is secure.

Security is achievable, privacy not!
Sad, but so true (y)
Just be careful about personal stuff on the internet.
Privacy is gone, but you don't have to help them...

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Chromium based browsers call home via port 5228 and 5222 (also Google Sync). So block those, if you are concerned.
I use Yandex Sync, so I have port 5222 allowed, but only to Yandex IP range. My allowed rules, the rest is blocked:
Code:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Yandex DNS" dir=out action=allow protocol=UDP remoteip=156.154.70.2,156.154.71.2 remoteport=53 program="Z:\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\browser.exe"
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Yandex DNSS" dir=out action=allow protocol=UDP remoteip=194.132.32.32 remoteport=443 program="Z:\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\browser.exe"
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Yandex Sync" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteip=213.180.193.0-213.180.193.255 remoteport=443,5222 program="Z:\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\browser.exe"
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Yandex TCP" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteport=80,443 program="Z:\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\browser.exe"

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Google-Krake.jpg
chrome =known data leech...no thx...i love my firefox :love:

Cast

Level 1
Verified
Feb 13, 2018
I've noticed that Chrome works quite well and not because it's popular, a lot of people use it, if not because of the performance, the loading of pages.

Firefox is pretty good, something I have checked is when the user has good connection this browser is over, is excellent.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Can you share those settings? Thanks.
I got them from a thread on MalwareTips about Chrome extensions. I cannot find it but for me these have made the biggest difference on my Intel CPU with Windows 10. Mileage may vary:

-Disabling Chrome's built-in DNS client
chrome://flags/#enable-service-worker-servicification
chrome://flags/#default-tile-width (set to 1024)
chrome://flags/#default-tile-height (set to 1024)
chrome://flags/#enable-simple-cache-backend
chrome://flags/#enable-zero-copy
chrome://flags/#num-raster-threads (set to 4)
chrome://flags/#enable-gpu-rasterization
chrome://flags/#enable-quic
chrome://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist
chrome://flags/#gpu-rasterization-msaa-sample-count (set to 0)
chrome://flags/#enable-fast-unload
chrome://flags/#enable-site-per-process
chrome://flags/#enable-appcontainer
chrome://flags/#enable-gpu-appcontainer
chrome://flags/#enable-font-cache-scaling
chrome://flags/#new-audio-rendering-mixing-strategy
chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture
chrome://flags/#enable-nostate-prefetch
chrome://flags/#enable-async-image-decoding (disabled)
chrome://flags/#enable-pixel-canvas-recording
chrome://flags/#enable-parallel-downloading
chrome://flags/#increase-input-audio-buffer-size

Then right click the icon in your start menu and change Target to this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers --enable-checker-imaging

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I got them from a thread on MalwareTips about Chrome extensions. I cannot find it but for me these have made the biggest difference on my Intel CPU with Windows 10. Mileage may vary:

-Disabling Chrome's built-in DNS client
chrome://flags/#enable-service-worker-servicification
chrome://flags/#default-tile-width (set to 1024)
chrome://flags/#default-tile-height (set to 1024)
chrome://flags/#enable-simple-cache-backend
chrome://flags/#enable-zero-copy
chrome://flags/#num-raster-threads (set to 4)
chrome://flags/#enable-gpu-rasterization
chrome://flags/#enable-quic
chrome://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist
chrome://flags/#gpu-rasterization-msaa-sample-count (set to 0)
chrome://flags/#enable-fast-unload
chrome://flags/#enable-site-per-process
chrome://flags/#enable-appcontainer
chrome://flags/#enable-gpu-appcontainer
chrome://flags/#enable-font-cache-scaling
chrome://flags/#new-audio-rendering-mixing-strategy
chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture
chrome://flags/#enable-nostate-prefetch
chrome://flags/#enable-async-image-decoding (disabled)
chrome://flags/#enable-pixel-canvas-recording
chrome://flags/#enable-parallel-downloading
chrome://flags/#increase-input-audio-buffer-size

Then right click the icon in your start menu and change Target to this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers --enable-checker-imaging
Thank you very much :notworthy:(y):)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.