Why Antivirus uses so much RAM?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
500MB - 1GB of RAM usage for antivirus is a big no for me. DDR4 ain't cheap. Bitdefender IS 2019 uses 400MB+ and it still performs sluggish, so the conclusion for me is more RAM usage doesn't mean better performance at all. 32GB RAM is barely enough for professional workload. I will not support this case if they are okay for their software to use this huge amount of RAM because RAM is cheap ( Not in the case of DDR4 mate), and they are too lazy to optimize their software for better RAM usage, so they have to make an excuse " High RAM usage is better for antivirus."

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
500MB - 1GB of RAM usage for antivirus is a big no for me. DDR4 ain't cheap. Bitdefender IS 2019 uses 400MB+ and it still performs sluggish, so the conclusion for me is more RAM usage doesn't mean better performance at all. 32GB RAM is barely enough for professional workload. I will not support this case if they are okay for their software to use this huge amount of RAM because RAM is cheap ( Not in the case of DDR4 mate), and they are too lazy to optimize their software for better RAM usage, so they have to make an excuse " High RAM usage is better for antivirus."
DDR4 RAM is very expensive. I think that lag/stutter occur when an AV uses more CPU cycles for every R/W of a service/apps.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I support this. Some PC turn from tiger blazing fast speed into sluggish turtle after installing Bitdefender antivirus. :ROFLMAO:
I remember that once I participated in a forum. And in that moment a new av was commented. With many engines, if I remember correctly, I used 5 engines. It was GDATA. It wasn't a bad AV, but it used a lot of resources. And there was a forero who said. I can because I have a powerful machine. And answered a great forero who was there, and said Instala Gdata and stop having a powerful machine.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
Well if you have PC only for browsing then is no problem is AV use 400+mb rof ram. I had slowdowns in games when i was using emsisoft and bitdefender but i don't have that issue now with ESET and kaspersky on laptop.
Start with modeling and rendering and you will see how amazing it is when AV don't give a s*it about your ram usage and keep slowing everything down.
What we read in blog this is how it should work, but when reality check in is totally different story.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Very interesting the idea of hiding the RAM load into the drivers. Ingenious. I never thought on that and i think it happens. Good hint given by EMSI. I feel good being their customer. :)

Reactions: Vasudev

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.