Advice Request Why Avast still keeps AVG software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
AVG update system has become weird I am running AVG paid and I contacted support because thought it was an issue . The GUI update indicator says it was updated 6 or 9 hours ago and the guy said well avg updates every 6 hours. I am confused .....weather he knows nothing about it or this is true..... Can anyone confirm this
Try repair installation. Are you using any VPN configurations or DNS that may be preventing successful updates?

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
Check mine

This is not a bug. AVG's "main" GUI only updates the definition timestamp once or twice a day, while it keeps downloading the streaming updates throughout the day.

Once or twice in a day it will combine the downloaded streaming updates into a consolidated package. When this happens, the timestamp will usually show a couple of hours to a day before the current time as the last update - because it takes the timestamp to be the first released update of that day. AFAIK Avast does the same thing (they're literally the same program).

What would be wrong is if your AVG program started saying it was days old instead of hours.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I have seen in the malware section that avg is getting infected ,is it because of the disabling of something or is it just not doing its job? Thks

There isn't anything disabled of protection features, why you believe that?

EDIT: honestly, almost all AVs will be infected in the Hub, some AV are rarely infected compared to others, but that doesn't mean it's ALWAYS unable doing the job as AV ;)

I think its because PUP detection Realtime is not enabled by default.

PUP detection doesn't matter for malware samples only!

Last edited:

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
There isn't anything disabled of protection features, why you believe that?

EDIT: honestly, almost all AVs will be infected in the Hub, some AV are rarely infected compared to others, but that doesn't mean it's ALWAYS unable doing the job as AV ;)

PUP detection doesn't matter for malware samples only!
I do not believe that i was asking that>>> not the same thing

Reactions: Nevi and Cortex

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I'm curious... Doe the license carry over, from 2021 to 2022, or do you have to buy a new separate license if you want to update?
Does the program automatically update to the next version, or does the user have to manually download and install as replacing software?
The two questions are related...

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I'm curious... Doe the license carry over, from 2021 to 2022, or do you have to buy a new separate license if you want to update?
Does the program automatically update to the next version, or does the user have to manually download and install as replacing software?
As with any subscription service, you don't need to buy a license for new versions and this is the case for all antiviruses as far I'm aware. You don't have to manually install new versions.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
As with any subscription service, you don't need to buy a license for new versions and this is the case for all antiviruses as far I'm aware. You don't have to manually install new versions.
I remember from years ago, major version updates like 2009 to 2010, you had to manually install. And I could swear that incenses didn't carry over.
Good to know that nowadays it's different.

Last edited:

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
The software is self-updated, you don’t need to do anything. About the license I really don’t know.

AG3S

Level 2
Oct 14, 2020
If you mean AVAST and AVG licenses, yes I am sure that they are always updated and they are not lock to a specific version.

In my opinion one of the best bundles considering the perice are AVG and AVAST Ultimate.

I know that @SerialCart has one of the best offers for these two products:

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
If you mean AVAST and AVG licenses, yes I am sure that they are always updated and they are not lock to a specific version.

In my opinion one of the best bundles considering the perice are AVG and AVAST Ultimate.

I know that @SerialCart has one of the best offers for these two products:
You can buy 1 year Avast Premium for 4,40€ in the same websites where you buy games. 🐧

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.