Why can't I delete one .tmp file, it says i need to be an administrator.

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
My account is the only administrator account and I can't delete this .tmp file, I can't upload it to virustotal.com it says it is too small, what should I do?

Reactions: tonibalas and Rishi

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Hi, if you can confirm that you do not need that file, maybe you could try any of the following two approaches:

1. Run cmd.exe as administrator. Run the following command:
Code:
del /F D:\test.txt
Please replace "D:\test.txt" with the full path of the file that you want to delete.

2. Using msconfig.exe to boot into the Safe Mode. Try to delete that file in the Safe Mode.

Kiwimike

Level 1
Verified
Dec 15, 2015
It's only a temp file probably being used by a program right now. Maybe even your browser.

Just restart your computer, then try and delete it. If it won't delete then that is suspicious, and I would advise using FileAssasin to delete it. But as I said before, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE YOU DELETE IT.

Reactions: Ink

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.