Advice Request Why do you use a VPN?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Orchid

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2023
MalwareTips Community,

I am curious. I have seen many threads in this forum discussing VPN software updates, what VPN software you recommend, etc. However, articles and YouTube videos discuss why a VPN is unnecessary or the dangers of using a VPN. From my research, I see most people use a VPN for privacy, to bypass Geo-fencing, bypass censorship, and so on. Yet, new features have been developed on the web to conquer this (HTTPS, DNS-over-HTTPS) or other software such as the: Tor Browser. So why do you still use a VPN?

References:
Security experts say you no longer need a VPN — here's why
You Probably Don't Need a VPN - MalwareTips Thread
Why you probably don't need a VPN | Do I need a VPN? - YouTube
VPNs May Be Putting Users At Risk
Here's why you probably don't need to rely on a VPN anymore - NBC News

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Why? 1st reason is for privacy and to avoid being tracked, I don't trust my ISP, because every ISP collects, stores and sells your data or gives it away to governments. 2nd is for security; I find using a lot of public Wi-Fi out and at home it's an extra layer of protection. 3rd is for geo-blocking and trying to avoid local censorship of various websites.

Why not use TOR or other technologies? I do, I regularly use NextDns and sometimes Psiphon, and I find they complement the VPN. TOR is a bit *meh*, I don't really have a reason for using it, I also think you get much more attention using it than a VPN.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I use 'Always-On' VPN to improve my privacy.

Nowadays, using VPN with features like

multihop
rotating IP
randomize IP

will greatly improve my privacy.

Best is to use multihop with different VPN providers. In addition, if your online fingerprint is automatically changed each time you visit a web page then your privacy will be greatly enhanced

Last edited:

Orchid

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2023
Hmm, I find this very interesting, yet I wonder. Almost all of you use a VPN for privacy. However, every web browser today has features in some form to prevent most of your concerns. References link 1, 3, and 5 in my original post. However, did any of you stop and wonder that incorporating a VPN may conflict with or weaken your privacy/security when the features (in the web browsers) are enabled?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hmm, I find this very interesting, yet I wonder. Almost all of you use a VPN for privacy. However, every web browser today has features in some form to prevent most of your concerns. References link 1, 3, and 5 in my original post. However, did any of you stop and wonder that incorporating a VPN may conflict with or weaken your privacy/security when the features (in the web browsers) are enabled?

Those features mentioned don't change your IP address which makes traceability back to you very easily regardless whether it's https, DNS etc

This is the reason why TOR hops 3 times

Orchid

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2023
Those features mentioned don't change your IP address which makes traceability back to you very easily regardless whether it's https, DNS etc

This is the reason why TOR hops 3 times

Interesting, OK, then why use TOR for general browsing and a regular web browser (ex: Firefox, Brave, Microsoft Edge, etc.) for everything else? However, if you use a VPN for the other browsers, would this make it difficult to sign in to a website? I would think it does.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Interesting, OK, then why use TOR for general browsing and a regular web browser (ex: Firefox, Brave, Microsoft Edge, etc.) for everything else? However, if you use a VPN for the other browsers, would this make it difficult to sign in to a website? I would think it does.

TOR is slow for daily use. A VPN is faster. I believe 3x different VPNs would still be faster if you choose the 10Gbps servers

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
@HarborFront is correct, there are things that only a VPN can do, you can surf the web connected as a South Korean, and another day you surf the web connected as a North American, this makes it difficult to track you on the web, as long as you make sure that your VPN and not your browser is not leaking your real IP, another important thing to do, is to keep the same language of your browser and time zone of the country where you are connected to your VPN, this way it is more difficult to track you and target your correct geo parameters. 😉
1675412932536.png
1675413092466.png

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Impossible to use TOR on the Surface web, the purpose of you using TOR is anonymity, is for this specific purpose, such as accessing the Deep Web and Dark web. Tor does what no VPN can do that is keep your "anonymity", today it has become very obscure to use, was initially created for military purposes and today is used for illegal activities unfortunately.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
However, if you use a VPN for the other browsers, would this make it difficult to sign in to a website? I would think it does.
These days everyone uses VPN's so it's not so much of an issue. Corporate VPN's/Private VPN's/Commercial VPNs are all used heavily today. Some websites get snarky at you and shadow ban/limit your account/outright ban you but it's getting better every year. I've found ecommerce to be the most ridged in not for filling orders or will shadow ban you for using a VPN, yet huge multinational banks/finance businesses in my country allow you to use internet banking/financial services with a VPN, go figure.

Fraud is still the man issue, but the smarter businesses and websites have other risk factors and checkboxes they use when processing orders or letting you use their website. I imagine that most fraud comes from rented socks5 proxies bought on the web, it always has been and always will be.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I've read my ISP privacy policy & you get very little privacy - I do trust OVPN & double hop is standard with my sub, I have few issues with web sites & the London connection is in London not a virtual location as all locations are- RAM based servers throughout - Overall I'm very happy & the VPN is on most of the time, cant imagine not using a decent VPN, added to that I get around 900 or a little less from a 1000 possible.

Unreal_P

Feb 2, 2023
MalwareTips Community,

I am curious. I have seen many threads in this forum discussing VPN software updates, what VPN software you recommend, etc. However, articles and YouTube videos discuss why a VPN is unnecessary or the dangers of using a VPN. From my research, I see most people use a VPN for privacy, to bypass Geo-fencing, bypass censorship, and so on. Yet, new features have been developed on the web to conquer this (HTTPS, DNS-over-HTTPS) or other software such as the: Tor Browser. So why do you still use a VPN?

References:
Security experts say you no longer need a VPN — here's why
You Probably Don't Need a VPN - MalwareTips Thread
Why you probably don't need a VPN | Do I need a VPN? - YouTube
VPNs May Be Putting Users At Risk
Here's why you probably don't need to rely on a VPN anymore - NBC News
I'd say for one it's a simplified solution that covers the aspects you mentioned, and we like simple solutions. I personally just think of it like insurance. It's something I don't really like paying for and could probably do just fine without, but if you need it you will be glad you had it lol.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't use a VPN for privacy, I do run a local VPN to block unwanted trackers, ad networks and block Internet access for select apps.

If I had to compromise such as travelling abroad, or using public WiFi network for an extended period. My preferences are Windscribe Free 10GB, NordVPN or VPN by Google One.

See this post.

Related thread:

Last edited:

Orchid

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 27, 2023
I enjoy reading everyone's posts. I thought VPNs were the way of the past, but I was wrong. VPNs seem to be growing more popular than I had anticipated. Even to the point where most websites will allow you to sign in to your account, as mentioned by @Zero Knowledge. If this is true, do you access your account with VPN enabled, disabled, or a little bit of both (for accounts you can't access with a VPN)? Just curious.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
If this is true, do you access your account with VPN enabled, disabled, or a little bit of both (for accounts you can't access with a VPN)? Just curious.
It depends on which account and what service and if you use different browsers. Gmail & eBay are the worst offenders when using a VPN and different browsers, they really don't like it, so you have to use the same exit server/same browser to access both services. I've found sites are much more likely to not like you using a different browser and anti-fingerprinting technology plugins but don't care about VPNs that much. Some websites will pull you up and cancel your order if you're using a VPN and pay by credit card (understandable for fraud, but I don't really use those sites) but then they accept PayPal and don't care if you use a VPN which is weird.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.