Advice Request Why do you use a VPN?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
I use a VPN for multiple reasons in germany.
  1. You can be Liable for any "upvote" or likes on posts online Like accidently liked a "bad" post ? can end up to jail/fines. ( happened already )
  2. Copyright mafia is CRAZY in germany.
  3. On my normal ISP connection i have up to 60% packetloss to USA services , troubleshooted that for 8 months had technicians here but after law my connection is perfect... a VPN server close by fixes that "routing"
  4. on 24/h reset i dont loose connection to services / games and get kicked off , just a small lag of 3 seconds or none ( cause technically my IP doesnt change for the service because of the VPN server )
  5. DDOS protection , had it happen 3x since VPN use 0x.
  6. Streaming Example "The Orville" in germany only got 2 Seasons , via disney Plus , in canada theres a Third literarily with full German DUB so yeah....
  7. Cheaper deals / costs.
But iam in search of a new one , Surfshark really got a Hit & miss performance quality per week changing.

Nord got Android issues.
and Mullvad is Blocked on many servers not only streaming but generally :/
Cyberghost doesnt work well
and Ivacy is more or less a scam.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I use a VPN for multiple reasons in germany.
  1. You can be Liable for any "upvote" or likes on posts online Like accidently liked a "bad" post ? can end up to jail/fines. ( happened already )
  2. Copyright mafia is CRAZY in germany.
  3. On my normal ISP connection i have up to 60% packetloss to USA services , troubleshooted that for 8 months had technicians here but after law my connection is perfect... a VPN server close by fixes that "routing"
  4. on 24/h reset i dont loose connection to services / games and get kicked off , just a small lag of 3 seconds or none ( cause technically my IP doesnt change for the service because of the VPN server )
  5. DDOS protection , had it happen 3x since VPN use 0x.
  6. Streaming Example "The Orville" in germany only got 2 Seasons , via disney Plus , in canada theres a Third literarily with full German DUB so yeah....
  7. Cheaper deals / costs.
But iam in search of a new one , Surfshark really got a Hit & miss performance quality per week changing.

Nord got Android issues.
and Mullvad is Blocked on many servers not only streaming but generally :/
Cyberghost doesnt work well
and Ivacy is more or less a scam.

Have you try using Surfshark's 10Gbps servers instead?

Or try ExpressVPN

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't use a VPN for privacy, I do run a local VPN to block unwanted trackers, ad networks and block Internet access for select apps.

If I had to compromise such as travelling abroad, or using public WiFi network for an extended period. My preferences are Windscribe Free 10GB, NordVPN or VPN by Google One.
A few changes have been made.
  • Windscribe VPN Free did not meet my requirements.
  • VPN by Google one did not meet my requirements.
Proton VPN Free 'Unlimited Bandwidth' to make use on 5G / Public WiFi and circumnavigate geo-blocked domains in my region. Ability to excluded IP addresses to allow local networking Chromecast to work on the Home network, and Split tunnelling for certain apps that did not need any VPN. No subscription required.

App Tracking Protection by DuckDuckGo VPN for devices that do not leave the Home WiFi network, or have proprietary apps that use many trackers by default.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.